Review Fremantle Contest a Game in South Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton peeps, come on, no one on here wants your advice, stay out

Edit: holy **** Carlton people, how can you think anyone here wants your input on umpires or anything to do with the game. Stay out or get pointed

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a feeling that the most annoying thing about the game will be the cover up. I expect that neither the AFL or the media will show the down the ground footage that shows the ball bouncing off Aish, and then subsequently say that the umpires got that wrong and should have called it.

I also expect that we won't find out what Clark said.
I can hypothesis what Clark said.

As a Freo supporter, I have learnt to put some control on my emotions when watching and supporting them.
I have history dealing with umpires who have in general treated Freo poorly.
I have history dealing with Western Derbies knowing after a loss, the annoying remarks I expect to cop from my West Coast supporting work colleagues and friends.
I have history dealing with Freo's dockery plays which sometimes leave me questioning why I still support this team.

But, the area I struggle most with, where I still find an upwelling of hate entering me, is when I find myself enduring the pro-VFL commentary.
On Saturday I found myself reaching for the mute button when Garry Lyon tried to tell me that Fyfe was not hit high or with any malicious intent. I sit on my couch, listening to the once great AFL player telling me with his self appointed authority that what I am watching on replay is not actually what happened. I am left wondering how well his gaslighting worked on his ex-wife and his mate Billy Brownless and for how long.
Then today, while already feeling that all too familiar hate brewing, I try to watch the AFL's "The Round So Far" with Kane Cornes and once again find myself listening to somebody telling me what I am watching on replay is not what is happening. The ball apparently brushed Aish's hair ... no mention of the right arm I clearly see the ball graze.

I do not like hate, and I do try to suppress this emotion when I feel it in me, but struth I battle with it when commentators (especially VFL biased ones) try to gaslight me with a narrative they wish was true, but is certainly not what I see in front of my very own eyes.
Yesterday, I found myself wanting Freo to win most because I wanted to then hear the pro-VFL commentators having to deal with some of this hate they make me feel.

As a Freo supporter, I have learnt to put some control on my emotions when watching and supporting them.
I have history dealing with umpires who have in general treated Freo poorly.
I have history dealing with Western Derbies knowing after a loss, the annoying remarks I expect to cop from my West Coast supporting work colleagues and friends.
I have history dealing with Freo's dockery plays which sometimes leave me questioning why I still support this team.

But, the area I struggle most with, where I still find an upwelling of hate entering me, is when I find myself enduring the pro-VFL commentary.
On Saturday I found myself reaching for the mute button when Garry Lyon tried to tell me that Fyfe was not hit high or with any malicious intent. I sit on my couch, listening to the once great AFL player telling me with his self appointed authority that what I am watching on replay is not actually what happened. I am left wondering how well his gaslighting worked on his ex-wife and his mate Billy Brownless and for how long.
Then today, while already feeling that all too familiar hate brewing, I try to watch the AFL's "The Round So Far" with Kane Cornes and once again find myself listening to somebody telling me what I am watching on replay is not what is happening. The ball apparently brushed Aish's hair ... no mention of the right arm I clearly see the ball graze.

I do not like hate, and I do try to suppress this emotion when I feel it in me, but struth I battle with it when commentators (especially VFL biased ones) try to gaslight me with a narrative they wish was true, but is certainly not what I see in front of my very own eyes.
Yesterday, I found myself wanting Freo to win most because I wanted to then hear the pro-VFL commentators having to deal with some of this hate they make me feel.
I regularly turn off the sound.

Watching the footy show and Damien's and their response to Fyfe incident

Oh wasn't much force and he was trying to spoil. Pretty sure that fist landed on the throat. Seemed pretty forceful to me and doesn't take much force on the throat area to be trauma. Let me punch him in the throat and then he can tell me it doesn't hurt lol

Last edited:
Watching the footy show and Damien's and their response to Fyfe incident

Oh wasn't much force and he was trying to spoil. Pretty sure that fist landed on the throat. Seemed pretty forceful to me and doesn't take much force on the throat area to be trauma
I've heard of a junior footballer in WA passing away from a trachea injury.

Actually ridiculous some of the takes in regards to that incident - he takes his eyes off the ball and runs straight arm out into Fyfe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People having a go at Johnson.

But I’ll tell ya Brayshaw has had the worst game by foot I’ve ever seen

His forward entries are absolute stank
True, but he makes up for it in other ways. Not saying he doesn't need improve in this area as it is costly and missed opportunities

True, but he makes up for it in other ways. Not saying he doesn't need improve in this area as it is costly and missed opportunities

Mate he absolutely burnt 4 forward entries. Like kicked them to grass 20 meters away from our players.

Disgusting stuff

I hope the players dont walk away from that game blaming the umpires. The game was ours to win. WE lost it.

Even the coach admitted as much during his press conference . As fans i udnerstand how people can be blidned to only see what they want to see, they miss the bad decisions made that helped the Dockers. Fans only see bad decisions that are bad for your team. But thats life.

Justin as the calm coach he is will spend time talking to the boys about winding down the clock in last 3 minutes, focus on less mistakes from dropped marks or bad choices under pressure, he will definitely repeat what he said at the press conference "umpires will rarely if ever change a decision once made" so move on, keep the emption inside.

The boys played well for most of the 3 qtrs. but when the pressure came in the 4th QTR our mistakes lifted, missed shots at goals, dropped marks, bad handballs.

So i am sure Justin will tell them to hold their heads high, but we still got a lot to learn, they are a young team, pressure games and finals footy experience is low. It will come, club culture and tradition is what we need, focus on what we control and leave the rest to others.

NExt week will be very hard, Port are looking very good, so get back to basics boys, play like you did agaisnt Brisbane. (jsut dont give a head start)

And why the * is that ball brought back after the advantage?

That’s some absolute ******* bull s**t

Worst call of the bunch.

Everyone had stopped when Cotrell ran into goal, including him, but play on called.

No break in player when the ball was kicked up the ground from the holding the ball call and a clear mark on the wing.

Cost a goal against too with the immediate following play.

We should have been starting the field defense on half forward at worst.

Didn’t see any demonstrative actions from Clark

Come on, one doesn’t occur without the other. Wasn’t a mark therefore the dissent free kick isn’t applicable. Just own it, none of this bs. I would have happily paid the fine if JL came out and had a dig at the umpires. One of the field umpires, think it was the closest field umpire Stevic called played on hence the tackle by Brayshaw after Cottrell “marked” the ball. If they can’t own it then say nothing at all.

I think they've shown they're "better" this season, leap-frogged 2023 to shades of 2022, but I don't know about top 4. We lack firepower. Same old story. Defense-first 'approach' seems to be J-Lo's trademark and Freo have that in spades, but it still boils down to scoring for me.

Mids to forwards connection is still an issue at times. Don't get me wrong, the game looked tight and a real tussle (from the little I saw), with opportunities very limited - first 10 mins of the first quarter and Freo were clearly holding their own. Carlton never really looked like grabbing a hold of them. Looked strong in the 'contest' (J-Lo's favourite) and they looked a bit rattled (this off what I saw in the first quarter and the dribs and drabs I saw at work...). Just a galling way to lose, but that's what it boils down to in the end - who has the composure. Freo feel like they might be coming, but not there yet. Needs more scorers. They need to be able to unlock teams as well as keep them out.
Tbh I don't think it is the gameplan that is the issue. We have plenty of chances to score but the players fumble every opportunity. Dinky passes that get turned over, dropped marks and literal fumbles inside f50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back