Review Fremantle d Adelaide by 11 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

I was disappointed with Lachie Neale today. Thought the conditions would suit him to a t, but it was his quietest game of the year.
I actually agree, Neale wasn't as influential and didn't seem to hurt the opposition as much as he has been this year. Stats don't tell a players influence, Neale didn't play too well tonight.

Was it just me or was sutcliffe really poor tonight?

He worked hard, seemed he was in the right place at the right time often enough, but he handled the conditions and the intensity poorly. It wasn't the stinker it might look and some think, but I said it in the game day thread, he just didn't seem to lift to the pace/intensity of the game.

In his defence, it was very hot in the kitchen, very tough conditions, and he wasn't the only one messing it up, he's also shown in the past that he can play very well in the big games, so I'm happy to just call it a below par and he'll bounce back next week.

As good as Dangerfield was, strong highlight of the night for me...

ya6JOd.gif

Farkin score reviews?? WTF?? Why do we have so many bad ones (on top of bad umpiring) this year??

But we did beat a good team on their ground (despite them being favoured by the umpiring) and in wet conditions - so really the "review" for the week is bank the 4 points and move on.

With GWS also losing it is a key result in that it keeps the gap between us and the bracket of the next best teams at a solid two game margin.

Only slightly questioning observation is that I was surprised it took so long for us to react to Adelaide playing an extra back - and sometimes two extra back - in the first half. Especially in wet conditions that gave them an advantage tactically...

But they wasted it with poor kicking for goal and then we out ran them late in the game...

We've generally been very good in the wet in the past, this was our first game of the year in these conditions though so may have contributed. The Crows were noticeably slicker with their gathering and disposing of the footy.

Despite failing rather miserably to get any form of reward on the scoreboard in the second half we didn't give them any breathing space which was heartening, final margin flattered them. Will acknowledge we were lucky they didn't put us away in the first half.

We've generally been very good in the wet in the past, this was our first game of the year in these conditions though so may have contributed. The Crows were noticeably slicker with their gathering and disposing of the footy.

Despite failing rather miserably to get any form of reward on the scoreboard in the second half we didn't give them any breathing space which was heartening, final margin flattered them. Will acknowledge we were lucky they didn't put us away in the first half.

So what about dem score reviews ey?? What say you about dat??

Much as I love Tabs, it was the right call to sub him off early. Sheridan had 14 disposals in a quarter and a half. Extra mid in there to extract the ball at the expense of one tall forward. I think it helped turn the tide, we just were not winning enough ball in the contests.
The conditions didn't suit Tabs but he sure did get around the ground well. He got to heaps of marking opportunities and split most of them. Aside from the dropped marks I thought his performance was quite encouraging. If it was a dry night he would have been our best forward in he first half.

The conditions didn't suit Tabs but he sure did get around the ground well. He got to heaps of marking opportunities and split most of them. Aside from the dropped marks I thought his performance was quite encouraging. If it was a dry night he would have been our best forward in he first half.

Yeah I agree. It was the right decision to sub him. But he was good. The contest in the 1st that led to the Walters goal would have been a relatively uncontested mark to a Crows player I reckon if we didn't have Tabs. I think he should have tried to chest mark more but at least he gets to contests. Should be a good learning experience for him, but the correct call was made just in time to sub him.

As good as Dangerfield was, strong highlight of the night for me...

ya6JOd.gif

That was funny, and it came back to Danger so clean too. If he beat his record disposals by one, he can thank that reverse falcon for it (though I don't think he did, he would have been close).

So what about dem score reviews ey?? What say you about dat??

I don't see every non-Freo game but we definitely seem to have an unusually high amount every week. Could handle it if they are always warranted, and they aren't, and if they were at least accurate 80% of the time, which again they aren't.

A lot of the time you question why even have goal umpires when they don't trust their judgement (or ******* eyes) in situations literally 1m away from the footy.

I agree. I love Tabs, but with Adelaide seemingly playing the spare man in defence, in damp conditions, one of Pav or Tabs had to be subbed off. I still think Tabs should be in the starting 21 next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a feeling for a few weeks that this might be the end of the streak, and even if it wasn't, there was only going to be a couple of goals in it - so it proved!

Certainly we bossed the dry opening 10 minutes as usual, but did take a very long time indeed to adjust to the wet conditions. Thankfully it dried up again near the end, but there were indeed worrying signs as we appeared to stick to our new game plan of kicking to contested situations rather than the kind of play that got us so far in 2013. Hardly anybody on the Fremantle team could stick a mark tonight, and unfortunately we once again had no crumbers at the fall of the ball. Interesting that when we did make more of an effort to even up the numbers at the start of the last, we basically locked the ball in our forward third for 15 minutes...

Taberner tried really, really hard but he just can't seem to hold his marks at the moment, and especially not when it's greasy. The umps also seem to have it in for him, as well. I think as his core strength improves still further he will get there, and it was the right call to sub him out tonight, but you've got to love the work rate.

Clarke and Sutcliffe were just terrible. OK, not ideal weather, but every time you think Zac has turned the corner he puts in a performance like that - it's bad enough he can't mark the thing, but too many times he just made very little effort when the ball rebounded (although in fairness, he did hold it up inside forward 50 in the last quarter through a good effort). Cam was even worse, with so many casual attacks on the ball and silly errors that led directly to Adelaide scores...he hasn't had a good season to date, but alas there's nobody really available to replace him as yet.

Fyfe vs Dangerfield was a true privilege to watch, two absolute thoroughbred stallions of the league backing themselves in at stoppages almost all night. It will be interesting to see who gets the three votes...naturally we all think it's Nat, and probably correctly given he had more ambition in his attack on the ball and more positive influence.

Luke, Aaron and Matthew are all born within 374 days of me - Sandi 4 days before. I guess there is a paradigm shift in football supporters when they become older than the team they follow; but having seen their entire Freo careers, I can't possibly feel old as long as they are still playing the way they all are!

Spurr, Ibbotson, Johnson, Walters and Suban all had really good games. Mundy, Hill, and Danyle Pearce a little less so. But even if he's not doing exactly the same role these days, if you ever doubted that Michael Barlow has become the beating purple heart of this football club since that memorable debut against the Crows in 2010, go and watch the goal that won us the match...

Great to see the team guts out a tough win against big bodies, significant home ground advantage & wet weather. Fyfe is a beast.

An opposition player that caught my eye was Jake Lever. Kid is only playing his 3rd AFL game and is already playing fullback / taking kick ins, etc. Very mobile tall taking players on & acquitted himself well.
I'm confident Lachie Weller is going to be a gun for us, but I reckon Lever would have been a great get.

I'm back from my BF suspension and I feel shock that nobody has suggested how flipping good garrick litter was tonight. His courage in the wet and one on one strength was amazing. I have a lot of respect for this bloke and think if he featured in 2013 grandy we get closer to hawthorn. Fyfe best, ibbo second, sandi third.

I'm starting to enjoy the gazette herald - http://www.gazetteherald.com/freman...beaten-record-intact-against-adelaide/124466/

"
Fremantle beat Adelaide by 11 factors within the tightest and greatest video games at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night time – and introduced some of the absorbing one-on-one battles with Nathan Fyfe and Patrick Dangerfield displaying their superb class.

It was an inspiring efficiency by each side, and a transparent message that the Dockers have not booked their spot on the MCG in October simply but.

Few gave the Crows an opportunity, however they threw the whole lot that they had at Fremantle and it was an incredible reminder that some tight, low-scoring video games can present a number of the best soccer that you will notice.

But as a lot as this courageous and extremely trustworthy efficiency by each side was all about profitable 4 premiership factors, the battle between Fyfe and Dangerfield shall be remembered lengthy after."

Yeah I agree. It was the right decision to sub him. But he was good. The contest in the 1st that led to the Walters goal would have been a relatively uncontested mark to a Crows player I reckon if we didn't have Tabs. I think he should have tried to chest mark more but at least he gets to contests. Should be a good learning experience for him, but the correct call was made just in time to sub him.
Lucky Clarke is the 2nd ruckman, definitely sub ahead of tabs.

A few random things from me
- the best contest Ive seen since Jacko retired
- the biggest adjustment we have had to make to weather patterns since RTB's arrival
- Walters is a fricking weapon
- We have whether issues
- Ibbo is the real deal and Suban is our wet whether tyres
- Footy drowns out racism
- We kinda just equaled our best record ever you arsehole

You really had to bring that up tonight, after that fantastic win.

You spent 15 hrs championing that campaigner Goodes yesterday.

Proves what people say, the SJW's have an agenda

Best win of the season for me. A real test for us in the wet against a side that was equally desperate.

Going for a club record ten straight next week, hoping we get it done.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back