Review Fremantle d North Melbourne by 73 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Taberner could easily have had 5 goals tonight instead of 2.1. As Tayl0r said, when Pavlich went off he really came into the game. That should be instructive to people who call for Tabs to be dropped all the time. At present his role is mostly as a decoy for Pavlich. Our mids will look for Pav first every time. As Taberner matures he will be capable of being a focal target himself, but he's already very valuable.

Will need to learn to hold more marks before this happens

Awesome game, great to see us not take the foot off in the last. Our midfield was great, Ballantyne and Walters were great, Sheridan was great as the sub, everything was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkmm

Very pleased that my apprehension before this one turned out to be nothing more than good old Freo supporter paranoia.
We were awesome. Great to see Walters back to his best. So sharp when he's on. Turns on a dime and makes incredible decisions and executes in the blink of an eye. He's great to watch.
So much to like.
Only possible negative, thought Pav looked proppy going down the race at the end but he could have had a corky.

Doesn´t anyone realise that one of Tabs main roles is to act as a DECOY and draw defenders away from Pav?? For NBA fans it is a bit like Kevin Love at the Cavs acting as a Stretch 3 to draw defenders away and allow Lebron to dominate.

Yet every time on this site posters blast Tabs for not kicking 4 and taking 10 marks. Thats not his role.

Its absolutely no coincidence that Tabs started to get a lot more of the ball once Pav was off (i.e. Tabs then assumed the focal point role).

Positives :

Complete 4 qtr performance.
Midfield dominated again through Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Barlow, C.Pearce and Sandilands. Hilly and D.Pearce were also very influential.
Backline was excellent with Johnson, Macca , Spurr and Sutty having good games.
Walters and Ballaz played into some very good form.
Mayne is back playing his best footy.
The additions of a fit Clancee and Garrick are having a massive impact
Tabs was excellent in the 2nd Half of the game.
Sandi dominating the 'best' ruckman of 2015.
Sherro is a fantastic sub and his gut running and passing was excellent.

Negatives :

The so called 'Experts' picking North to win
The commentary team tsking every time north made a mistake
Dermott Brereton's analysis (does it give anyone else the shits?)

Sorry if this has already been asked elsewhere, but did anyone see what happened to ballas? Is Tod in trouble?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn´t anyone realise that one of Tabs main roles is to act as a DECOY and draw defenders away from Pav?? For NBA fans it is a bit like Kevin Love at the Cavs acting as a Stretch 3 to draw defenders away and allow Lebron to dominate.

Yet every time on this site posters blast Tabs for not kicking 4 and taking 10 marks. Thats not his role.

Its absolutely no coincidence that Tabs started to get a lot more of the ball once Pav was off (i.e. Tabs then assumed the focal point role).

I think his role is more than just a decoy.

But he is doing it well. Last week he started brilliantly and then faded out in the second half, tonight was the opposite.

I for one am really happy with the way he is going. Definitely done enough to retain his spot. Not sure anyone is expecting him to take 10 marks and kick 4 every game. He is doing well enough.

The most complete performance by Freo so far this year. The only negative I can think of is that Duffield seemed to be a little quiet. I thought D Pearce was very good early when the whips were cracking. There were a few little barbs thrown out there by the press last week about our "under performing" small forwards but they both responded beautifully tonight.
Thank goodness sonny and D Pearce have slightly different shades of irredescent green boots because I was finding it hard to tell them apart when they were on the other side of the ground. The both played in a similar manner providing plenty of run down the wings and kicking inside 50. I'll have to watch the replay again now just to confirm a few things I saw at the game. I thought Squeak got rag dolled a few times but it's a bit hard to tell when you're on the other side of the ground, did anyone else think that?
Tabs is improving each week, I like him more when he gets out of the F50 and gets up the ground a bit. His set shots for goal have improved tremendously since he arrived at the club. Surely this is a result of the hard work and dedication the young man shows at training. I have a lot of faith that we'll see a lot more improvement from him yet, particularly with his marking. Very happy with the performance by the team tonight.

The so called experts can stop going on about how Goldstein is the best ruckman in the competition.

That attempted hanger by Zaarke was audacious. That a 200cm ruckman was of a mind to launch himself at the ball in such a manner shows how much he's backing himself this year.

The so called experts can stop going on about how Goldstein is the best ruckman in the competition.

Will have to have another look at it, but I thought Goldstein did OK for them, at least in the centre, and relatively speaking considering they were beaten pretty much across the park.

Not really a negative, but worth mentioning that North were missing their 3 best mids. They were pretty poor tonight.

Having said that, I reckon that was our most consistent effort so far this year across 4 quarters and 22 players.

I thought Taberner was fantastic in the final term. And pretty good in the first. In time, he'll be a gun.
The pressure applied by Sonny, Ballas and Noodles really makes us dangerous.
Mayne's tackle on Waite was immense.
Backline was solid as a rock. All of 'em
And most of all, the depth of our midfield tonight was staggering: Sandi, Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, Neale, Darryl, Hilly, Clancee and Suban were all significant contributors.
Although the heat was out of the game and it was only a quarter, I thought Sheridan was excellent too. I really feel for Tendai. :(

When the midfield all clicks who can beat Freo?

Fyfe 37 touches, 21 contested, 11 clearances
Neale 34 touches, 11 contested, 6 clearances, 1 goal
Barlow 30 touches, 13 contested, 2 goals
Mundy 27 touches, 10 contested, 5 clearances, 2 goals

With cameos from Hill and the Pearces.

As good a midfield game as you'll see played.

Hilly was instrumental in the first half and when the game was there to be won in the first quarter. He didn't keep racking them up but he was at 19 by the half or close too it.

This midfield is something else... thought although he did a couple of good things, suban was fairly poor tonight. There is opportunity for growth and players pushing for spots through peel.

Would think performances like that will be a fairly regular occurrence this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back