Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Kane Cornes is a shockingly biased media commentator who almost invariably has a personal agenda that skews his views.

It was revealing that he made mention of Bevo's run ins with various media pundits during his rant as I think this sits at the heart of the anti-Beveridge media barrage that we have been subjected to in 2023.
This media reaction to Bevo and the club was entirely predictable and arises from the first of several mistakes Bevo made when he shut up shop and treated the media as the enemy years ago. We are a small club that could never afford that kind of hubris. Bevo is now reaping what he sowed in 2017/18.

Last edited:
Bevo needs to be a bit tougher. If the side needs Naughton back at different times, do it. Don't let the players say what they will or won't do. You have to do what's best for the side on game day. If a player isn't willing to do this then get rid of them no matter who they are. They obviously aren't in it for their team mates. We need players who are willing to do anything to win games.

Are there any parallels here with Hardwick and the Tigers in 2016? Hardwick, after a sustained period of under-performance, was almost gone IIRC.

He said in his presser that our list is overrated didn’t he?

That indicates to me that he wants change.
I hope you’re right. I read that as casting about for reasons that it wasn’t all his fault.

There’s a little bit of truth in what he said but it’s also a distraction from scrutiny of his own performance.

As Footy Classified highlighted:

Bains said on radio that the club was expected to challenge for top 4 this year.
Beveridge in the press conference said anyone suggesting the Bulldogs squad is good enough to finish top 4 "doesn't have a sophisticated understanding of the game"

Unless we are living in bizarro world, this should result in Beveridge getting sacked.

As Footy Classified highlighted:

Bains said on radio that the club was expected to challenge for top 4 this year.
Beveridge in the press conference said anyone suggesting the Bulldogs squad is good enough to finish top 4 "doesn't have a sophisticated understanding of the game"

Unless we are living in bizarro world, this should result in Beveridge getting sacked.
Are you West Coast's recruiting manager?

Are there any parallels here with Hardwick and the Tigers in 2016? Hardwick, after a sustained period of under-performance, was almost gone IIRC.
The only positive that can come from not replacing Bevo is if the club replicates what happened at Richmond at the end of 2016. Yes, there are parallels, and the Richmond response is the only appropriate course of action if we chose to keep Bevo.

His solution was to adopt BevBall (2016 version). Is that still an option for Bev (2023 version)?
It sort of morphed into a fast running ball-forward-at-all-costs chaos ball game but started out very much like us in 2016.

However I think your point is that the club reined in Hardwick’s hardline authority and surrounded him with different staff. They are quite different personalities so I’m not sure it’d work the same way.

He's not leaving. If anything his press conference is digging in for the fight. If we thought he would do a Hardwick and walk I think that is now decided, he wont (Hardwick only left to take the GC gig anyway).

Best we can hope for is a new Football Director and some new assistants, remove some of his match day decision making and hope things improve (and any other strangle hold he has over areas outside his responsibility), at least until we can afford to cut his contract or it comes to an end.

Bains needs to be the one who gets a bullet this week. 2 year extension for a bloke who fell into finals. What were they thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading this thread and seeing what is happening on the field I come to the conclusion that

- Playing group is united with each other.

- The players are saying to the board and the broader world Get the football department and management in order, tell them to get their s**t together so we can be the best we can as right now we have no guidance on anything and what you are seeing on the field is as a result of the above.

- The players are saying we do not know who to trust to make the required changes and whether they are even competent to do it.

Players want to perform to their ability but their hands are tied by the football department and management

Genuine question. How often are coaches who have won a flag for their team truly sacked (as in paid out early as opposed to not being recontracted)?

Clarkson you could argue was, but even Malthouse from memory saw out his actual coaching contract at the Pies.
Walls
Parkin
Jewell
Hafey
Williams
Sheedy
Joyce

i think there are 2016 Hardwick comparisons. i think the difference is that Dimma had the humility to step back from tactics and gameplan and embrace a different role. Not sure Bevo has that in him. People bag Dimma for handing over the tactical keys but its actually a great strength he has, thats strong leadership.

Update on yesterdays update.

Clarifying edit from message received from someone connected to a player “Playing group is fractured against the football department / management, not with each other. Players want Grant and Ameet gone” This is sparked from the treatment of Rohan Smith (22/08/23)
Yep this is 100%

i think there are 2016 Hardwick comparisons. i think the difference is that Dimma had the humility to step back from tactics and gameplan and embrace a different role. Not sure Bevo has that in him. People bag Dimma for handing over the tactical keys but its actually a great strength he has, thats strong leadership.

If you think any head coach would give up tactical control of his team to others and take no hand in game plan/system then you are living in fantasy land.

I can’t believe this kind of stuff still gets peddled, and even worse believed by so many.

Coach suggests list is over-rated.

Same coach who has had 9 years in charge, and worked closely with his list manager and recruiting staff to build the list, including bringing in players to fill holes and top up.

Power and Milesi bring in players (or trade them out) in conjunction with the coach, not in isolation.

If he's now talking down HIS list, the buck stops with him.

Laughable if anyone thinks he should be given time to rebuild a list he has been largely responsible for.

The only players not recruited under his tenure are Bont, Liber, Macrae and JJ (LJones re-recruited last year), while Daniel, Dale, McLean and RSmith were drafted in 2014 a few weeks after his appointment.

If you think any head coach would give up tactical control of his team to others and take no hand in game plan/system then you are living in fantasy land.

I can’t believe this kind of stuff still gets peddled, and even worse believed by so many.
no one said that, stepping back is not stepping out

i hope this wasnt a Bevo power play against management for overriding his assistant coaching decisions. Sook and incite the players behind you, and effectively ruin our finals chances
The players don't need any prompting to protest Bubba's exit.
They ******* love the guy.

no one said that, stepping back is not stepping out

You said Dimma “handed over tactical keys”. What else did you mean?

Any coach that has to give tactical control to others is in the wrong profession.

Dimma may have brought in new ideas but no chance he handed control over to another coach.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back