Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't suggesting 1-2cms is going to change his position. I was more so saying if he were to grow another 5-6cms then he may be too tall for the midfield. He looks like he's already around the 190cm mark.
He was 187cm last time he was measured so not unreasonable to suggest that. I personally think Scheer and Bowes are the exact ingredients we are missing. Two tall inside/out midfielders with Scheer being the bigger, more inside brute of a midfielder we sort of lack. Can't see Bowes reaching key position status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was 187cm last time he was measured so not unreasonable to suggest that. I personally think Scheer and Bowes are the exact ingredients we are missing. Two tall inside/out midfielders with Scheer being the bigger, more inside brute of a midfielder we sort of lack. Can't see Bowes reaching key position status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's tricky when you're dealing with someone that is over 190cms. Steven May stands 190cms tall and he's obviously a KPP but some would suggest that has a lot to do with the size of his body and his leap. Cripps also happens to be 190cms but you wouldn't say he is capable of playing as a KPP for an entire match. It has a lot to do with body size when you get into the 190cm territory. Bowes appears to be more on the Cripps side than the May side at this point so you'd say he's looking like he'll become a midfielder. Then again, should he grow another 5-6cms, you might have another Jared Brennan on your hands. The Brennan/Westhoff type is awkward because they are tall enough to play key position but will probably never have the muscle required to compete as a KPP.

Wait and see, I guess.

So the Gold Coast News just ran a story on Rischitelli playing his 200th AFL game in round 1 next year. That would take him to 89 games for the Suns, just 11 games shy of father-son eligibility. They also showed his son in the news story so, if Risch can manage at least 12 games in 2016, his son will become eligible for father-son selection to both QLD clubs. No idea how old his son is but I would guess he's under 10.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-11-18/possible-2030-fatherson-team

My club (Port Adelaide) ran a news article on father-son selections earlier this year that showed the players that will become available to the club by 2030. I thought it would be interesting to see a similar article in regards to Suns players but I'm not sure anyone on here knows enough to compile that list. If we were to presume Rischitelli's son is 5 then Risch Jr would become available to the Suns in 2028. I think Harbrow may also have a son and he currently sits on 93 games for the club so it could be a race to see which father-son is drafted to the club first.

So next year apart from Bowes and Scheer are there any other acedemy players to look out for who might get picked up in the national or rookie draft, sorry for the question if it's brig asked already.

Like you said a year is a long time in football.. O'Kearny was top 15 at start of 2015

Just got rookied

Agius top 15 didn't even get picked up.
Agius lacked defensive running. He just doesn't tackle.

O'Kearney just didn't improve the way you would like. Will get better with a bigger body.

Sympkin - TBH I don't know, he is rated though

Ainsworth and Berry were the only under agers to make the All-Australian team (on-the-field)

Ainsworth - he looked powerful even against the best kids a year older then him. In a star studded Vic Country team he was put into a forward pocket and starred. I'm sure given his height he will be asked/wanting to play midfield and press his claims as a multi faceted player - hopefully a forward/mid like Chad Wingard/Robbie Gray/Luke Dalhaus type.

Berry - I was thinking who he reminded me of and it came to me - Darren Millane - powerhouse running midfielder
Berry is a halfback flanker who can play forward and on a wing. Also being groomed as a KPD.

Simpkin is a impactful midfielder who is bouncy. Has some Dayne Zorko traits.

Ainsworth is a star and a player who could be drafted now. Looks alot like a smaller Jake Stringer/Devon Smith.

So next year apart from Bowes and Scheer are there any other acedemy players to look out for who might get picked up in the national or rookie draft, sorry for the question if it's brig asked already.
Daniel Charlesworth is good. Curtis Marsden goes alright.

i'm surprised that the NT zones were allocated to only a couple of melbourne clubs (3/5 of them being pretty strong clubs already).

if we don't get part of the Tasmania zone i'd be pretty disappointed. we've probably had the most tasmanians on our list over the past couple years, would be a decent option to entice some more up here.

I guess this is to keep the vic clubs sort of happy , though i cant see many players drafted under it.

I guess this is to keep the vic clubs sort of happy , though i cant see many players drafted under it.

Don't they have to be players from non-english speaking families or some other pretty stringent criteria

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Up coming match Schedule for the Suns Academy if anyone interested in watching

Level 3 (U18)
Saturday 27th February, V Broadbeach FC @ Fankhauser Reserve 10am

Academy Series
Round 1
Saturday 5th March, V Lions Academy @ Burpengary 3.30pm
Round 2
Friday 11th March, V Lions Academy @ Metricon Stadium 4.45pm

Level 2 (U16)
Saturday 5th March, V Lions Academy @ Burpengary 1.30pm

I'd not draft [Valentino Benyon ] based purely on his father.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Holy s**t, you weren't kidding, I'd never heard of him before, but Travers Benyon seems like a right tosser. But his son seems like such a talent. Tricky decision. It doesn't seem like he's been raised in a great environment, (NSFW images) and the question must be asked how this would affect him both on and off the field. Would being the son of a multi millionaire cigarette baron make him a lazy trainer? Would he be more exposed to drugs?

He does seem to have similar fashion sense to his father.
(Valentino is second from right) I can't get a read on how to approach this. Even if he's worth it, I'd strongly advise against taking him in the the national draft, and taking him in the rookie draft at best. With a year on his contract, the Suns can access whether keeping him on the list adds to or detracts from the culture. Maybe his senior team mates keep him on the straight and narrow, or maybe Valentino takes players who were on the straight and narrow and veers them off course. I dunno, impossible to speculate on from this angle.

All in all, probably not worth the risk. I'm not sure if we really need another forward/ruck anyway.

Suns Academy shines at Burpengary. 2 solid wins away against the Lions Academy. U16s 10-14 to 8-4.
U18's 11-9 to 9-6. Scheer 3goals best on ground with some outstanding contested marks - kicked crucial last quarter goal to stop a late Lions rally. Bowes didn't play due to injury . Allison injured during 3rd quarter but wasn't influential before that.
Great start for Andrew Raines as Academy Coach.
Suns Academy should be well represented in Queensland rep sides this year.

Suns Academy shines at Burpengary. 2 solid wins away against the Lions Academy. U16s 10-14 to 8-4.
U18's 11-9 to 9-6. Scheer 3goals best on ground with some outstanding contested marks - kicked crucial last quarter goal to stop a late Lions rally. Bowes didn't play due to injury . Allison injured during 3rd quarter but wasn't influential before that.
Great start for Andrew Raines as Academy Coach.
Suns Academy should be well represented in Queensland rep sides this year.

Where did you find all this. I can't find any information anywhere :(

For those interested..

Academy Series Round 1 @ Burpengary Saturday 5th March

U16 SUNS Academy V Lions
Gold Coast 10.14.74 def Brisbane 8.8.54
Best: Terry Giacoumis, Dirk Koenen, Zach Palmer, Lachlan Mcdonald, Cooper Portelli, Cory Beaman
Goals: Terry Giacoumis 3, Zach Palmer 2, Cooper Portelli 2, Matt Smith 2, Charlie Offerman 1

U18 SUNS Academy V Lions
Gold Coast 11.9.75 def Brisbane 9.6 54
Best: Jacob Dawson, Brad Scheer, Brodie Foster, Brayden Crossley, Jackson Collins, Max Spencer
Goals: Bradley Scheer 3, Jackson Collins 2, Rene Lefeuvre 1, Shawn Watson 1, AJ Dawson 1, Nick Kempe 1, Lance Hudson 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back