Fyfe to the Wing

Remove this Banner Ad

Hughes? I thought he was very solid.

Yes, Hughes. Last week I thought he was excellent. I'll try re watch later today. I could be wrong. I thought he was quiet plus he cost Freo a goal with a three on 1 contest deep in the forward line of Hawks.

Yes, Hughes. Last week I thought he was excellent. I'll try re watch later today. I could be wrong. I thought he was quiet plus he cost Freo a goal with a three on 1 contest deep in the forward line of Hawks.

That one was Walker. The Hughes one was when the ball got over the back and he was one on one with Breust who engaged him and the umpire paid the free. Every forward should have won that contest too, Hughes was done by the ball movement. It could have been the one where Brayshaw shanked it to turnover at CHF.

That one was Walker. The Hughes one was when the ball got over the back and he was one on one with Breust who engaged him and the umpire paid the free. Every forward should have won that contest too, Hughes was done by the ball movement. It could have been the one where Brayshaw shanked it to turnover at CHF.
The non controlling umpire called the free kick.

I don’t understand how a non controlling can over rule an one on one when the controlling umpire has a clear view.

Yes it was Walker. My mistake. I still think Hughes was average. Against Brisbane awesome but I'd have him first out of the team when Chapman is back.

Ive no idea on the timeline for Chapman. Do you know what it is because Freo need him to add extra rebound

Don't mind the thought. Fyfe has a big tank doesn't he? Where does he usually finish in the pre-season runs - Up near the top of the group is my memory?

So many better suited names mentioned already. Feels like Fyfe is probably the 11th best option.
It would’ve been an interesting hypothetical to put this same question pre-season and replace “Fyfe” with “Acres” and see if the responses would’ve been similar.

I’d back Fyfe to be a better bet to match or surpass an Acres-style output on the wing more than anybody else in the squad, by some margin too.

No, I doubt anyone in the match committee would be throwing this dart at the board.

IMO, Fyfe doesn’t have the gut running ability needed.
He’s a power athlete, great on the burst - but doesn’t have the sustained top speed for a wing.

I’d be shuffling Chappy and Clark through there depending on defensive match-ups

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If you're looking at pure running capacity, in senior players, Griffin Logue and Alex Pearce won 2 of the 4 1km time trials in pre-season, with Acres third overall. Pretty sure we don't want bung ankle, dubious kicking (but most excellent) Pearce running around on the wing, but could it be time to unleash Logue in his third position for the year? In first to four year players Clark and Brayshaw won 2 time trials each, with other notables being Switkowski, Serong and O'Driscoll.

Clark seems the obvious choice, with Chapman slotting into his halfback role. There are cases for Switkowski and Frederick but i would be loathe to lose their elite forward line pressure and finishing, and they could be a little on the small side. For me, if Taberner returns, it could be a lot of fun to see what Logue brings to the wing. Having said that, if he looks as green/lost as he has appeared up forward at times this season, the experiment could end rather quickly.

The smokey could be Karl Worner, if you're looking for a pure Ed Langdon-lite lung busting wingman, however his WAFL form after a strong start hasn't quite put his name is lights, as is to be expected with a covid-affected late arriving interstate first year player.

Last edited:
No, I doubt anyone in the match committee would be throwing this dart at the board.

IMO, Fyfe doesn’t have the gut running ability needed.
He’s a power athlete, great on the burst - but doesn’t have the sustained top speed for a wing.

I’d be shuffling Chappy and Clark through there depending on defensive match-ups

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'd be disappointed if no-one on the MC would have the imagination and tactical foresight to suggest it. 😏

I don't know about being limited to a "power athlete", surely his endurance would be right up there.

If Matthew Richardson, Chris Mayne and Blake Acres can excel at the wing, I'm sure there's hope for Fyfe.

The big question mark is where his endurance is right now, which probably does exclude him. Especially as it would only be until Acres makes it back.

But he has performed brilliantly on the wing in his Colts and junior days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're looking at pure running capacity, in senior players, Griffin Logue and Alex Pearce won 2 of the 4 1km time trials in pre-season, with Acres third overall. Pretty sure we don't want bung ankle, dubious kicking (but most excellent) Pearce running around on the wing, but could it be time to unleash Logue in his third position for the year? In first to four year players Clark and Brayshaw won 2 time trials each, with other notables being Switkowski, Serong and O'Driscoll.

Clark seems the obvious choice, with Chapman slotting into his halfback role. There are cases for Switkowski and Frederick but i would be loathe to lose their elite forward line pressure and finishing, and they could be a little on the small side. For me, if Taberner returns, it could be a lot of fun to see what Logue brings to the wing. Having said that, if he looks as green/lost as he has appeared up forward at times this season, the experiment could end rather quickly.

The smokey could be Karl Worner, if you're looking for a pure Ed Langdon-lite lung busting wingman, however his WAFL form after a strong start hasn't quite put his name is lights, as is to be expected with a covid-affected late arriving interstate first year player.
My thinking is to have someone who can bring what Acres has brought this year. He wins contests and produces clutch moments. Fyfe can do that better than anybody, especially if released onto a wing role.

I like the Fyfe Idea but how about these?
Walters
Chapman
Clark
Logue
Hughes
Young
Colyer
Aish

They all could do it. But as i said elsewhere I think we should someone with some height like Acres... so how about Logue or.... even Treacy?

The non controlling umpire called the free kick.

I don’t understand how a non controlling can over rule an one on one when the controlling umpire has a clear view.
The worst thing about umpire over-rules is that of non controlling umpire makes a mistake on the over-rule, the controlling umpire -- the one who is actually on the spot -- is not allowed to over-rule the mistake!!!
Just totally dumb-arse crazy

In modern footy the wing is the one of the most tactical positions on the field.

The skinny side winger sits on the defensive side of the round-the-ground stoppages so the oppo can't run forward straight out of the stoppage. He is then available as a first receiver to either spread from, or kick away from, the contest (think a rugby union half-back). Andrew bloody Gaff got an AA playing this role.

The fat side winger guards space to stop their transition and to keep the field as skinny as he can. Holding position and not getting sucked into the play are important parts of this role.

Both need to run like anything to be the out-number deep in defence.

He has many fantastic attributes but I don't know if playing wing really suits Fyfe.

Prefer to see him in the guts or the half-forward making target who plays highest up the ground. Playing as the high marking target means he'll be contesting a lot of his marks at about the wing/half-back

The worst thing about umpire over-rules is that of non controlling umpire makes a mistake on the over-rule, the controlling umpire -- the one who is actually on the spot -- is not allowed to over-rule the mistake!!!
Just totally dumb-arse crazy
I know it’s a different game but basketball referees hate when their fellow referee poached a call.

As a referee coordinator we would point it and give feedback about poaching calls.

AFL are ok with it, if the outcome that the AFL want like keeping a team in the game.

In modern footy the wing is the one of the most tactical positions on the field.

The skinny side winger sits on the defensive side of the round-the-ground stoppages so the oppo can't run forward straight out of the stoppage. He is then available as a first receiver to either spread from, or kick away from, the contest (think a rugby union half-back). Andrew bloody Gaff got an AA playing this role.

The fat side winger guards space to stop their transition and to keep the field as skinny as he can. Holding position and not getting sucked into the play are important parts of this role.

Both need to run like anything to be the out-number deep in defence.

He has many fantastic attributes but I don't know if playing wing really suits Fyfe.

Prefer to see him in the guts or the half-forward making target who plays highest up the ground. Playing as the high marking target means he'll be contesting a lot of his marks at about the wing/half-back

And then the dumb question: Acres has been playing the fat side winger hasn't he (and that has been what Henry has been training as)? Whilst Aish and others (including Tucker) have been playing the skinny side?

And then the dumb question: Acres has been playing the fat side winger hasn't he (and that has been what Henry has been training as)? Whilst Aish and others (including Tucker) have been playing the skinny side?
Yes. Unfortunately I haven't watched all our games recently. But from I have seen Aish and Tucker are often on the defensive side of the stoppage and Acres is wider in space.

Although these things are never cast in stone. In a dynamic game like footy sometimes you just have to do the job in front of you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back