Review Nat Fyfe.

Remove this Banner Ad

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Conjecture on Fyfe mounts, not just with playing position but also selection. For Freo to win this year we will have to win 3 finals in a row on the road. It's going to be bloody hard (not impossible) Fyfe is the most important player in these next four games in my opinion. He needs to be in the top 5 best players in all of those games for us to have a shot.
So, what to do over the next 14 days to shake off the rust and get the body right? Set shot kicking practice? Back to Pilates for the body? Ice baths and Sauna's? A game at Peel? A date with a psychologist? Or just a few days off in Margaret River floating around surfer's point. I don't bloody know....

We need Nathan Fyfe to have the most available efforts he can physically deliver for four weeks.

I expect he will be jabbed up to the limit and need to spend a lot more time playing off the bench or resting as the deepest forward, but that will compromise the Will Brodie/Mundy bench time.

Perhaps we will see Mundy resting forward so Fyfe can rotate through the middle more instead of Mundy on the bench

Partially mindset - everyone elses. Reset expectations and think about him as some random HF/Mid who's player 20-22 in the side and might pop up with a few good moments. I don't think he needs to be in the best 5 players, he just needs to contribute more than player 23 would. Change his name even. Fathan Nyfe, your new MSD draft pick.

But yeah for him I reckon Peel for ~75% game time. Conditioning and touch probably the thing.

Partially mindset - everyone elses. Reset expectations and think about him as some random HF/Mid who's player 20-22 in the side and might pop up with a few good moments. I don't think he needs to be in the best 5 players, he just needs to contribute more than player 23 would. Change his name even. Fathan Nyfe, your new MSD draft pick.

But yeah for him I reckon Peel for ~75% game time. Conditioning and touch probably the thing.
I would play him at Peel for touch too. Risky strategy if injured but it's all chips in at this point.

Peel IMO.

The rust is largely from having played such limited football over the past 12 months. We saw how valuable forward-mid Fyfe can be in the St Kilda game. Kicked 3 and also helped us completely reverse a 1st half clearance annihilation.

One WAFL outing isn't going to fix everything but it's better than having another week with no competitive football.

I thought he had a 10 minute burst on the weekend where he directly was a strong contributor to turning the game.

He didn't get the numbers but his pressure, tackling and attack on the footy signaled a shift in the whole teams intent.

But i certainly think 60-70 mins for Peel this weekend will help prepare him for a final.

There's no silver bullet. He needs game time including the WAFL round next week and then just play him. There's obviously a risk here, but it's one we need to take. You don't leave your captain out if he's available, rusted or not.

Will help having some actual key forwards back in the 22. His point of difference up forward is that he can exploit a mismatch, but that is nullified if he has an athletic, tall defender on him. In the last quarter he started clunking a few leading up from CHF – that's his game. I'm hopeful the extra week off will allow Brayshaw and Brodie enough rest to come back in peak form.

Last edited:
No one is going to be more disappointed in his performance on the weekend than the great man himself. Even his biggest detractors will say Fyfe is driven to excel like few others.
He'll come out on fire in two weeks is my guess

I'll also add, he's going to have much more trust in his body in a fortnight. He really was pushing it to get back from a hammy for GWS partly out of necessity due to Lobb, Tabs then Logue out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Taylor will make a lot of key forwards look average, yet alone some one who has played about 4 games in 12 months and has been a midfielder for the majority of his career.

As others have said, readjust expectations, as a best 22 contributor, we’ll get at least that with potential for A LOT more. You can not with a straight face say we would be a better team with someone else instead of Fyfe.

The thing about Fyfe is that if he finds form, he is possibly the best player in the team, nay the league.

Would like to see him play for peel this weekend. But yeah I feel like he's wasted at FF. His best game was clearly against stk when they injected him into the middle for a bit. I don't mind him playing up forward, but it needs to be a more even split between fwd/mid to get the best out of him.

Western Bulldogs' backline is not much chop - as is evidenced by the obviously struggling Rory Lobb snagging four against them a couple of weeks ago.

But you need the cattle to expose them. I am not sure the reluckman Lobb, the rusty Fyfe and the reliably unreliable Tabs are it.

It's a shame Sturt appears to be a bust. With at least one tall to distract their tall defenders, and our four smalls to provide the pressure, Sturt could have strolled to 3 or 4 goals just because nobody knows who he is.

Rust aside, Fyfe is a champion. Champions sometimes bring their own private sun.

Let's back him in.

Fyfe is our X factor this finals series.

Peel this week, FF only & maybe a half or just over.

I think we need teams to worry about him, which frees up everyone else. That’s exactly what happened on the weekend. He went middle, GWS worries about him, the others get the clearance and Fyfe blocks.

Add lobb logue and maybe tabs forward, someone’s getting a super favorable matchup. Dare say teams will worry about Fyfes marking a lot.

If he can be the lead up (think where he lead Taylor to the ball last quarter sat) and use his aerial ability, we look so dangerous

The thing about Fyfe is that if he finds form, he is possibly the best player in the team, nay the league.
I think those days are done and probably have been for a while now if we're honest with ourselves.

Does need to lift though, can't be playing like the way he has at times this year in finals.

Should play at Peel to find form, but I doubt they will make him play. If they didn't play him for Peel during our bye (after 1 WAFL game and an uninspiring AFL game) when Tabs played for Peel, then he won't now.

that marking contest late in the game when Fyfe took out those two GWS players (inc. Taylor) from the back caused the ball to go over the back, lead to a mismatch and a goal. Would've been a easy intercept mark without Fyfe on the ground and GWS still in it. Definitely better with Fyfe regardless if he's not the bull in the middle of past years.

People saying Fyfe is past it might be going a bit prematurely imo. The guy’s 30, not like he’s 37 or anything! He’s just spent a year out of the game, he’ll get back close to his best in 2023. In the meantime he stays, he’s still a bull in the contest and there’s a spot being vacated by a certain 37 year old. He’s captain and he takes a top end defender. If Lobb and Logue are back in (hopefully Tabs too), he’s got some real KPFs to share the forward line with, not just Bailey Banfield.

Sam Taylor will make a lot of key forwards look average, yet alone some one who has played about 4 games in 12 months and has been a midfielder for the majority of his career.

As others have said, readjust expectations, as a best 22 contributor, we’ll get at least that with potential for A LOT more. You can not with a straight face say we would be a better team with someone else instead of Fyfe.

Yeah Fyfe the forward isn’t meant to be the number 1 Key forward. Playing as the sole key forward in a must win game, after a month off, after most of the year off, and trying to shake off the rust… tough crowd.
He should be a wildcard medium forward that has moments of influence, it’s him, Sturt or Banfield in this role. I’m picking Fyfe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has a lot of experience crucial for this final push. He, Mundy and Walters are the three we need to be really firing. Mundy is still evergreen AF and Walters looks to be building in to some fine form. This means Fyfe has slightly less pressure on him to compete at the level required. I reckon he'll be right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back