Gaming on consoles or PC? What do you prefer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is why I don't understand why there is a movement from so many console devs away from local multiplayer.
Because it sucks away too many resources for the game being made, unless there's a want for the game to run and look like s**t while doing it.

It's just simpler to handle that stuff online rather than have to double up and go for local.

Because it sucks away too many resources for the game being made, unless there's a want for the game to run and look like s**t while doing it.

It's just simpler to handle that stuff online rather than have to double up and go for local.
Not to mention each player needs their own copy to play.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, and there is no greater proof of that than Nintendo, who have given up local multiplayer altogether due to their weak consoles not being able to handle it.

Wait, no, they're still going with local multiplayer. Their games must look awful then.

Wait, no, that's not right either.

I'm glad you're sticking up for the big wigs of video games and their too-hard basket, though.

Yes, and there is no greater proof of that than Nintendo, who have given up local multiplayer altogether due to their weak consoles not being able to handle it.

Wait, no, they're still going with local multiplayer. Their games must look awful then.

Wait, no, that's not right either.

I'm glad you're sticking up for the big wigs of video games and their too-hard basket, though.
I don't give a s**t about the big wigs, I've seen first hand how hard the process of optimising for consoles is.

It's not as easy as 'those guys did it so we can'. It takes a lot of extra work and a lot of workarounds too, it's pretty different when first party can get their hands on extras that most 3rd parties don't get to even lay eyes on as well.

At the end of the day it's not about it being too hard, it's about it being more work and less efficient for a game when budgets are attempting to be smaller for better profits.

You can site examples of older or less powerful systems being capable of it, but that's really irrelevant as these systems are capable, but it's the extra time and money it would take to get them to the capable stage doesn't work when the age of the internet allows effectively the same things to be done, with far less time and money needed.

I'm not saying devs shouldn't be striving to make their engines far more efficient than they are, as they definitely should be. But the resources spent trying to make local multiplayer a big thing again (when such a thing isn't where the money would be coming from anyway) is really not where devs need to be pointing their time and money.

Except there aren't many PC games that support split screen.
There aren't many console games that support split-screen either.

Consoles are simply moving towards being worse PCs, which is absurd because it deliberately removes one of the few points in their favour.
Completely agree with this. I've been a console gamer pretty much all my life, and the most fun I've had has always been derived from playing with friends in the same room, on the same TV. Seeing as developers are moving away from this, I'm finding it very hard to justify buying a $600 console.

would like a really good video card but who wants to spend up to $800 for one.
You don't even have to though. dav3 himself posted a link to a new card that was just announced a few days ago (GTX 750 Ti). For only $200 AUD you can get yourself a card that outperforms an Xbox One.

Annoys me when people say you have to go all out and spend massive amounts on parts to get a decent rig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't even have to though. dav3 himself posted a link to a new card that was just announced a few days ago (GTX 750 Ti). For only $200 AUD you can get yourself a card that outperforms an Xbox One.

Annoys me when people say you have to go all out and spend massive amounts on parts to get a decent rig.

That's fine i'm happy to spend $200 for video card where can i get it from?

i brought this at the end of 2012 for around $250, its great
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4155#ov

gigabyte_7850.jpg

PC noob question time. So if i was to get that GTX 750 Ti, will i run into any compatibility problems with my hardware, which consists of

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz
8.1GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit OS

PC is about 2 years old, the graphics card it came with is a ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series, which fails the canyourunit.com test on 99% of games released within the last year or so.

PC noob question time. So if i was to get that GTX 750 Ti, will i run into any compatibility problems with my hardware, which consists of

8.1GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit OS

PC is about 2 years old, the graphics card it came with is a ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series, which fails the canyourunit.com test on 99% of games released within the last year or so.

Yowch, that is an awful system for two years old :p
Gotta do you research.

That's fine i'm happy to spend $200 for video card where can i get it from?

750ti? God, please don't.

Yes whilst this card may out-perform XB1.
It is absolutely flat out running AAA titles at 50fps at lowest settings.
The 750ti does not have multi gpu (SLI) support.

Please at the least consider any of the R9 270 for $220ish or R9 270X for $245ish or a GTX 760 for $280ish.
All of these cards will outperform the 750ti and they all support multi GPU (SLI/Crossfire) configuration giving just under double the performance. Just in case you need more power in a year or 2.

Or look for a secondhand GTX 660ti, 7850 or 7870.... Again these will support multi gpu...

Equally annoying when someone recommends the absolute bare minimum that will need replacing sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Please don't.
It was a simple example to suggest that what BOMBERS was saying was flat out wrong. Obviously there are plenty of cards out there that are stronger, especially if you are willing to pay more.

Research is certainly key.

8.1GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit OS

It wasnt purchased with gaming in mind, needed a cheap PC after my other one died. 2 was a guess, is probably 3 to 3 and a half but yeah whatever.

So i take that as I'll have issues with this card then? Ok cool, back to PS4 it is :thumbsu:

You should be fine. Most game are only just beginning to take advantage of multi core cpu's, so your 2 core i3 shouldn't be a bottleneck at all.

Like my other reply to Jords and Bombres please consider at least $220-$240 more for a much better product.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php...3_1589&zenid=9555914e292b95074f167ac23b0808b3

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=193_1560

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=193_1511

It was a simple example to suggest that what BOMBERS was saying was flat out wrong. Obviously there are plenty of cards out there that are stronger, especially if you are willing to pay more.

Research is certainly key.

Fair enough. From reading through the posts it appears Bombres looked to be considering purchasing that card based on your throwaway line....
I can't see value for money in a $200 750ti, but then again my opinion is based around the requirements of the games I play, I don't know what types of games he's playing.

750ti? God, please don't.

Yes whilst this card may out-perform XB1.
It is absolutely flat out running AAA titles at 50fps at lowest settings.
The 750ti does not have multi gpu (SLI) support.

Please at the least consider any of the R9 270 for $220ish or R9 270X for $245ish or a GTX 760 for $280ish.
All of these cards will outperform the 750ti and they all support multi GPU (SLI/Crossfire) configuration giving just under double the performance. Just in case you need more power in a year or 2.

Or look for a secondhand GTX 660ti, 7850 or 7870.... Again these will support multi gpu...

Equally annoying when someone recommends the absolute bare minimum that will need replacing sooner rather than later.

R9 270 sounds good will buy after i get my FX-8320 x8 cpu.

Haven't owned a Radeon card in years.

Last edited:
Have they removed the ability to get pccasegear to build your custom pc for you? Seems to be gone from the systems section

Remove this Banner Ad

Back