GDCA Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

May 17, 2006
VIC
AFL Club
Fremantle
As most clubs in the RDFL have cricket clubs in the Gisborne District Cricket Association, I thought I'd start up a thread.

Talk about all grades, the highlights, the lowlights and all the controversy here!

As most clubs in the RDFL have cricket clubs in the Gisborne District Cricket Association, I thought I'd start up a thread.

Talk about all grades, the highlights, the lowlights and all the controversy here!
Steve Knight is coaching Macedon this season. They are very keen on getting back into McIntyre, been training for a few weeks now.

When does the fixture come out? Interesting to note that the grading has changed, now McIntyre, B,C,D,E,F,G. No A grade. Not sure why, or what difference it makes, but that's how it will be.

Pickles, you skipper of Lancefield 2's again?

When does the fixture come out? Interesting to note that the grading has changed, now McIntyre, B,C,D,E,F,G. No A grade. Not sure why, or what difference it makes, but that's how it will be.

Pickles, you skipper of Lancefield 2's again?
I think they may have changed it because knob head journalists were confusing a grade as being the top grade. The A grade teams got alot of coverage in the papers last year. I suppose now it should make it a bit clearer.

I think they may have changed it because knob head journalists were confusing a grade as being the top grade. The A grade teams got alot of coverage in the papers last year. I suppose now it should make it a bit clearer.

The reason A-grade got all the coverage last year buddy because Romsey had a side in that grade and not McIntyre. People in Romsey and Lancefield don't want to read about Woodend and Riddell's cricket sides in the top level, they want to read about their own.

The reason A-grade got all the coverage last year buddy because Romsey had a side in that grade and not McIntyre. People in Romsey and Lancefield don't want to read about Woodend and Riddell's cricket sides in the top level, they want to read about their own.
I live in Sunbury and Diggers got all the coverage despite 3 sunbury based sides having McIntyre sides. I know for a fact that the journos thought it was the top grade because I was the guy they were ringing. They even covered a united a grade game when they had mcintyre on down the road.

I live in Sunbury and Diggers got all the coverage despite 3 sunbury based sides having McIntyre sides. I know for a fact that the journos thought it was the top grade because I was the guy they were ringing. They even covered a united a grade game when they had mcintyre on down the road.

Well I'm sorry you have such poor journalists down your way. If you moved to the Kilmore/Romsey/Wallan/Lancefield area you'll get a quality service :D

A place for Twenty20 in local cricket

OKAY I’ll admit it, I’ve been hooked.
It’s not marijuana, ecstasy, speed or cocaine . . . it’s Twenty20 cricket.
As a long time and passionate cricket player and follower, I must admit I was a sceptic of this relatively new format of cricket.
After spending many a sleep-deprived night in the last fortnight watching the best cricketers in the world try to ‘out bash’ one another and make a ridiculous amount of runs in a short period of time, the concept has grown on me.
Unlike other formats of the game, including Test matches and one day internationals, Twenty20 is a game purely designed for entertainment purposes.
And entertain it does.
An amazing amount of spectators have turned up to most games in South Africa, whether it was a one-sided contest between India and Kenya or a blockbuster between Australian and England.
The shortened version of the game requires the tournament to last just two weeks, just an eighth of the length of the two-month long gruelling 50-over World Cup.
In February, a one-off Twenty20 match between Australia and India is expected to draw a bigger crowd than day one of the Boxing Day Test.
The purists might hate it, but indications are the new format has been embraced by fans who cannot get enough of its long hitting, loud music and knee-trembling speed.
Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland attributed the rise in popularity to the World Cup.
“Cricket fans in Australia and around the world, including a significant number of fans who are new to cricket, continue to vote with their feet when it comes to Twenty20 cricket,” he said.
There are only two international Twenty20 matches scheduled for summer.
Last year, nearly 30,000 turned out to see the domestic Twenty20 final between Victoria and Tasmania.
The Twenty20 revolution is sweeping the world. England will expand its domestic competition next year and Pakistan has announced it would sell franchises so it can take part in the Champions League.
Sutherland said he expected a flow-on from the World Cup to the domestic competition.
He said Cricket Australia expanded the domestic Twenty20 Big Bash by an extra round this summer, meaning states will play five matches.
LOCAL BENEFIT
In both the Gisborne and Seymour district cricket associations; there are two formats of the game.
The two-day games consist of 75-80 overs per side, with no bowling restrictions.
One-day games are 40-45 overs each with restrictions on bowlers’ overs.
On a fine day, in around 25 degree heat and no wind, even if the game is played between two neighbouring sides, you are lucky to get more than 20 spectators at any game, whether it is a one-day or two-day contest.
For most people, watching local cricket is a waste of a summer’s Saturday afternoon.
Could Twenty20 cricket spice things up and get a crowd?
Perhaps, but the fixturing would have to be well managed.
Rather than the typical Saturday afternoon, why not a Friday evening, or even a midweek twilight match?
Kids are on school holidays, daylight savings means it doesn’t go dark until 8.30pm, and the weather is always warm.
Boundaries could be shortened, spectators could sit on the grass and watch, clubs could run a barbeque and bar, and introduce other activities to make it a family fun event.
Cricket clubs rely on membership, sponsorship and bar turnover, it always has. But it doesn’t need to be that way forever.
Clubs in the district and their association bodies need to think outside the square and perhaps introduce a round-robin Twenty20 tournament in each grade. With games lasting just a few hours, you could easily play two or three in a day.
No doubt the old heads will be batting against the changes, using the “it’s not cricket” line, but the game will fall away rapidly if our future generations aren’t encouraged to play.
With soccer fast growing in popularity and the A-league played throughout summer, cricket could find some hot competition in coming years.
As it stands, junior registration numbers are growing, but cricket can ill-afford to sit on its hands and get comfortable.
It would take a bold move to introduce Twenty20 cricket at local level, but those who jump first are likely to benefit from its fast growing popularity.

can someone tell me who the quality players at lancefield are? do they have any young talent coming through?

Were plagued by unavailability today and got beaten by Thoroughbreds, but have some good young stars coming through.

Myles Dorman, Rory Healy, Rob Cini and Cal Furness all have the potential to be top grade cricketers within two years. Brad Hooke is 17 and is already a gun, and his brother Matt (22) along with Caton brothers Mark (24) and Glen (18) make the Tigers' ones very young this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good work matt nichols, starting up this thread, bit of rupo news, have added heath boffey from sunbury to bolster the club, heath has had 3-4 good yrs with sunbury finishing high up in the kevin sullivan medal recently.
Also we have all rounder ryan jaeger return to the club after doing the pre season with subbies club altona.
good win by the guys on the weekend, defeated reigning premiers bacchus marsh, having said that the marsh were missing 4 1st 11 regulars.

another saturday passes us by and a surprise in the mcintyre, wallan have beaten united, rupo defeated gisborne and the marsh comfortably accounted for woodend.
highlights: glen warner 87 (woodend)
holte 120 (marsh)
jaeger 84 (rupo)
beaver 57 (rupo)
etherington 100 (wallan)

Congrats to Laurie Tyquin who last week made 100 batting right handed... Laurie is a long time player in the GDCA and of course is naturally a left handed batsmen. Certainly a feat I have not heard of happening before, luckily had the pleasure of playing in the game, as well as now having the pleasure of non stop ribbing due the the stupid looking photo in the Herald Sun :D

I thought it would be good if the 2 Associations played each other.It could played just before Bendigo Country Week as a trial game for the Associations Country Week squads:thumbsu:

Not that bad an idea for country week.GDCA used to play a praccy game against Daylesford league (I think) for the Tom Reynolds shield years gone by.
What type of tracks are Ben country week played on now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back