News CONFIRMED: Stevie J to play farewell game on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Dog Johnson. Stevie J. SJ.

I was 13 when the club recruited Steve Johnson. That perfect age when you start to really follow and understand not just players, but the game itself. It’s what I call my first ‘generation’ of Geelong players as I was a bit too young to fully understand and grasp the ‘top up’ generation of the late 1990s. Therefore, the 2001 group I will always hold close to my heart, not just because it was the core of our glory years, but because they are the group I grew up watching footy to, and learning to fully love, understand and appreciate our great game.

Round 1, 2001. Bartel debuts, as does Gary Ablett and Dave Johnson. I’m excited about Ablett and get caught up in the hype. Fast forward to Round 4. The two young teams – Geelong and Saint Kilda. A young Van_Power is at the Napier Hotel celebrating family members 21st. I am playing on the pin ball machine, but my interest spikes when Geelong slams through its 8th goal of the second quarter. Lord and Riccardi kick 11 between them. We play pretty well vs Fremantle the next week too. Round 6. Brisbane vs Geelong - Stevie debuts. Four weeks later, he kicks four goals against Collingwood. I distinctly remember as 2002 unfolded I decided he and Bartel would be my favoured young players. Ablett was Ablett, but I just kinda liked the way Bartel and Johnson played.

Whilst so long ago, I remember the first half of 2002 ever so well. The memories of the crowd getting excited whenever Ablett Jnr went near the ball, Bartel seemingly being able to slide straight into the side. But the knobbly knees of Steve Johnson struck a chord with me. I’m not sure why. Our season stuttered at the end and we missed finals, but SJ had won me over. A slow start in 2003 ended in a flourish, with six goals against Brisbane. Again in 2004 he didn’t play till the second half of the season, but looked ever so smart. Ever so dangerous. He kicked almost two per game. 2005 - again, he only played about a dozen games. I thought he could be something special, but just as many were getting frustrated with some of his antics.

In the fateful year of 2006 he kicked two goals per game. I thought I’d seen all the Stevie J show would ever offer. A magician but couldn't quite put it all together. I loved him. I hated him. He promised a lot and delivered at times but there was a growing unease about him as a player, and his professionalism. Bigfooty really opened my eyes to that, I had no idea until I joined the forum.

The club did the right thing at the start of 2007. What I never expected, or had privilege to know, was the work he was doing behind the scenes in that early part of 2007. I was at his return game in 2007 vs Richmond, mainly just because I wanted to see his first game back. It was then I realised I was going to games to see Steve Johnson play. I believe a more mature, focused Steve Johnson hit the turf that night. I saw more freakish side steps and more look-away handballs than I had ever seen over 2007, but unlike previous years, more seemed to be coming off. He had that ball on a string at times.

108 games and 255 goals are Steve Johnsons stats from 2007 to 2011. I wonder how many goal assists he had in this period? Just phenomenal.

That spark and ex-factor was something to behold. He has been a fantastic player for Geelong, and I wish him all the best. His ability to confuse his opponents (and fans and teammates alike!) was second-to-none.

Countless times my jaw has dropped as I saw the magician at work. Countless times have I shaken my head, but then realised what he was trying to do and thought ‘fair enough.’ Countless times have I either a)facepalmed or b) slapped my knee and yelled ‘Bloody Hell Steve Johnson, what are you thinking?’

Sometimes I honestly have no idea what he was thinking. But he did. Its that fine line between success and failure that he has been able to push, exceed or bend where 99% of other players cannot.

I’ll miss it a hell of a lot. I think he can play on in 2016, I really do. I disliked Paul Chapman playing in another Guernsey, but I accepted it. I am not sure if I will be able to do the same with Stevie J. I really hope there will no bad feelings between the club and he if comes out he was pushed. I'd rather he be on the list, than not on it.

I can't pin the tickets to the Stevie J show on my wall, but at least I know I attended it and kept going back for more. I'm glad I will be there on Saturday to see the curtain fall on a decorated career.
Absolutely brilliant, Van_Power! You have nailed pretty much the exhilaration and frustration, I'm sure, that most of us have gone through when watching SJ. But we wouldn't have traded him for quids!

My criticism of north would be that they only half committed to rebuilding, they didnt finish the job. You've built a bit of a nucleus of a side but then tried to hurry up the job by bringing in the older guys you mentioned. They have all performed but its a road to nowhere and a missed opportunity meaning that I now dont think you will have success with this group anytime soon.

Things would be a lot more promising if right now north, with your midfield around Goldstein, had a few more quality youngsters coming through which could have happened if you attacked draft picks rather than topped up with older guys. I'd be thinking that with cunnington and the likes hitting their straps you would be looking great over the next few years.

I was critical at the time when north started adding the older brigade, i felt you were on the verge and then abandoned the process for shorter term improvement.

I agree rebuilding isnt what it use to be but its still all a balance and careful management. Older players do bring talent experience etc on gameday but they do also hinder other player development. You need some older players but not all. Johnson does still have ability but its not just what he does on gameday that matters. Its a broader issue than that and geelong removing a few of these players is careful management and a crucial step in moving towards ongoing success. We moved older guys on in 2011 and backed some kids and its what we needed. I agree it cant be all club champions but unfortunately it needs to be some and johnnos indescretions mean its him rather than bartel because bartel sets a better example for those coming in. Ill back our process on this.

I understand what you are saying, sharks33. However we never gave up any draft picks to snare any of Dal Santo, Waite and Higgins. They all came through free agency. Nahas was added after he had been delisted by the Tigers and was really only recruited for depth. We have kept all our picks but in the last 5 years or so haven't had any picks apart from Luke McDonald as a father/son at pick 8, in the top echelon. Ben Cunnington was as far as I recall was our highest pick at 4 in the year of his draft.

McDonald had a good first year in 2014 but has fallen away a bit this year. Last year our first pick was Sam Durdin, who I think will ultimately be a good player but was ruled out early in the season through the need for a shoulder reconstruction. The previous year our second pick was Trent Dumont who made his debut against the Cats this year as the sub in round 4 at Skilled and without wanting to rub salt into the wounds, I think made the difference in getting us across the line. In the few games he played since then he has shown quite a bit but lost his spot and some would say, maybe it has something to do with the coach being Chris Scott's brother if you know what I mean.

The previous year our first pick was Taylor Garner at pick 15, who had a 12 month hamstring injury which really set him back, while in 2011, we picked up Brad McKenzie at pick 18, who has really struggled to meet expectations.

Remember this has all occurred during the time when the GC and GWS have soaked up so many high draft picks. North is not alone in this. The picks that the Cats have taken have also been lower down the order than otherwise would have been the case.

So I don't think our predicament is quite so much due to us failing to recruit young players but rather due to the compromised drafts.

Because of where they have finished in recent years, the Bulldogs, St. Kilda and Melbourne have been best placed to capitalise on these compromised drafts. Right now the Dogs looked to have been very very smart in what they have achieved, the Saints might be a year behind them, while Melbourne (I prefer to call them the godees) seem to be having another red hot crack at not getting the most out of their early picks.

Would rather Johnson than Bartel or Enright.

Why? Enright's easily been the best performed of those 3 this year so he's the obvious to stay. In terms of performance SJ and Bartel are similar but Bartel's been asked to do much more difficult roles. SJ only came good when he was allowed to roam up forward for most of the game. I'd much prefer Bartel's discipline and versatility for another year than SJ who does some great things still but is a bit of a liability defensively and can only be played up forward now.

That's a bad example on so many levels. :D

They only play well if he is playing
Probably stunted player's development as he was so dominant
Their culture sucks.

All his fault. ;)
lol
They weren't the parameters of your original question- midfielder who went on to play well at another club was, I think, what you asked for))
Brownlows, MVPs, AAs, etc.- they stack up ;)

oops- sorry- you said 'that has worked for the club'.. hmm.. guess you could say it's worked in one way but not in others.

Why? Enright's easily been the best performed of those 3 this year so he's the obvious to stay. In terms of performance SJ and Bartel are similar but Bartel's been asked to do much more difficult roles. SJ only came good when he was allowed to roam up forward for most of the game. I'd much prefer Bartel's discipline and versatility for another year than SJ who does some great things still but is a bit of a liability defensively and can only be played up forward now.
Wasn't it only 2 weeks or so ago when SJ was running from backline to forward line and playing well at BOTH ends?

Why? This is not the draft where we will want to be taking four plus picks.
Keeping SJ and Bartel for one more season will not hinder the team in this regard.

As written. The potential of having Dangerfield, Selwood, Henderson and the expected increase in consistency form some of the younger guys means we can make room. Next year the likes of Cowan/McCarthy/Kersten/Walker etc can come under scrutiny and traded/offloaded so we can have a go go at what is deemed to be a very deep draft at this point in time.

I do agree on SJ and Bartel though. SJ deep forward and Bartel anywhere but the back line and we would be fine still.

Looks like he's letting a stack of them go all at once to me.

Last year we had zero retirees.
That's true, but last year there was nobody really ready to go. It was pretty obvious (and correct) that Boris + all of the class of 2001 could go on.

Next year could spell the end for Bartel, (possibly) Boris, Lonergan and Mackie - so it does make sense to stagger it in that sense.

It's not like we have a surplus of reliable goal-kickers. He is playing well, wants to stay and we are obviously having a crack next year with all the imports. Seems crazy to off-load him now.

That's true, but last year there was nobody really ready to go. It was pretty obvious (and correct) that Boris + all of the class of 2001 could go on.

Next year could spell the end for Bartel, (possibly) Boris, Lonergan and Mackie - so it does make sense to stagger it in that sense.

Not having a go at Mackie, but I think he has clearly been a better player over the last couple of years. Of course, he has always been the better player of the two, but I feel he is still a more influential player, and looks a lot more engaged.

Last edited:
I don't think the club will have any reliance on Menzel at the forefront of their mind when considering the retirement of the oldies.
You wouldn't have thought so but if SJ gets the tap, as rumoured, they must be to some degree. Unless they are pencilling more time for Cocky up forward possibly? Likely, I guess or if they are 'certain' of Danger coming, that will allow them to rotate Danger, Selwood, Caddy and Duncan through the forward line a little more - all dangerous forward options and having SJ may hinder opportunuity for Cocky, Gore, McCarthy :eek:, Kersten etc who we need to develop. Menzel is the only 'similar' player that's shown the capability of being a somewhat like for like in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm more than a little surprised. For mine he was worth another twelve months as a forward and mentor for the up-n-comers. He'd be a good pick-up for a team in the premiership window. His longer-term off-field value might prove even more beneficial if his football insight and awareness is as good as many have indicated.

That said, the club has a waaaay better grasp of the situation that any of us and I'll back them in to make the call that serves the best medium to long term interests of the team.

You wouldn't have thought so but if SJ gets the tap, as rumoured, they must be to some degree. Unless they are pencilling more time for Cocky up forward possibly? Likely, I guess or if they are 'certain' of Danger coming, that will allow them to rotate Danger, Selwood, Caddy and Duncan through the forward line a little more - all dangerous forward options and having SJ may hinder opportunuity for Cocky, Gore, McCarthy :eek:, Kersten etc who we need to develop. Menzel is the only 'similar' player that's shown the capability of being a somewhat like for like in the forward line.
I agree with Menzel being a Stevie J clone but I doubt that the club would have a crystal ball that will tell them how his story is going to pan out over the next few years. You might have a point in those names you've mentioned, though.
I see an advantage in keeping someone like SJ around as a teacher for those young blokes- but perhaps he sees the writing on the wall and has chosen not to accept anything less than a firm commitment from the club that he will play more performance-based AFL games (i.e. will be playing while his output holds up, rather than get pushed out for anything less than a 50-50 younger player). Hasn't he been mentoring Cocky? I thought I read that somewhere along the way. Maybe Hell Kitty mentioned it.

I'm beginning to believe that this is all SJ's decision, not the club's decision. He is in our top 3-5 players for almost every scoring statistic this season. I'm sure the club values that.

Are you asking me or telling me?

And clangers are indicative of a direct turnover. Does not include ineffective kicks, hospital handballs, missed shepherds, lack of pressure, etc

In that case I hope Tomahawk is safely signed up.

I understand what you are saying, sharks33. However we never gave up any draft picks to snare any of Dal Santo, Waite and Higgins. They all came through free agency. Nahas was added after he had been delisted by the Tigers and was really only recruited for depth. We have kept all our picks but in the last 5 years or so haven't had any picks apart from Luke McDonald as a father/son at pick 8, in the top echelon. Ben Cunnington was as far as I recall was our highest pick at 4 in the year of his draft.

McDonald had a good first year in 2014 but has fallen away a bit this year. Last year our first pick was Sam Durdin, who I think will ultimately be a good player but was ruled out early in the season through the need for a shoulder reconstruction. The previous year our second pick was Trent Dumont who made his debut against the Cats this year as the sub in round 4 at Skilled and without wanting to rub salt into the wounds, I think made the difference in getting us across the line. In the few games he played since then he has shown quite a bit but lost his spot and some would say, maybe it has something to do with the coach being Chris Scott's brother if you know what I mean.

The previous year our first pick was Taylor Garner at pick 15, who had a 12 month hamstring injury which really set him back, while in 2011, we picked up Brad McKenzie at pick 18, who has really struggled to meet expectations.

Remember this has all occurred during the time when the GC and GWS have soaked up so many high draft picks. North is not alone in this. The picks that the Cats have taken have also been lower down the order than otherwise would have been the case.

So I don't think our predicament is quite so much due to us failing to recruit young players but rather due to the compromised drafts.

Because of where they have finished in recent years, the Bulldogs, St. Kilda and Melbourne have been best placed to capitalise on these compromised drafts. Right now the Dogs looked to have been very very smart in what they have achieved, the Saints might be a year behind them, while Melbourne (I prefer to call them the godees) seem to be having another red hot crack at not getting the most out of their early picks.

Yeah fair call, expansion clubs have hurt those not at the bottom. I guess ive been in the camp that wanted to move a few of these guys on earlier so we could bring in new talent, for example johnson last year for two early picks. I think we could have traded some and attacked the draft, instead we topped up with a few older guys who helped us stay steady but i never thought we were good enough.

I kinda feel it hasn't worked and we couldve aggressively attacked the draft, by chance it looks like we have pulled in some young talent anyway and its time to back them in to improve us, the old brigade arent up to it and i dont like sitting in no man's land where you cant see the improvement, you just no your not up to the standard of the top teams.

The only thing id add is that whilst some FAs dont cost anything they do take up a spot even if it would've just been a late pick, sometimes having a larger draft pool is the key to striking gold. They also take up development space.

At geelong we've had a lot of list positions taken up by guys who were never going to be a part of our next potential premiership team, id personally have those spots for guys who might be.

With the expansion clubs coming in i believe geelong had the opportunity to trade and move some of our guys on and attack the draft but we tried to hang on. Its been frustrating because you could just tell were wasting our times, as whilst still okay we were never really contending. Some supporters will say that we were one goal off another granny etc etc but sometimes the results are flattering, we were making up the numbers.

Why? This is not the draft where we will want to be taking four plus picks.
Keeping SJ and Bartel for one more season will not hinder the team in this regard.
I know this is the conventional wisdom, but is there any reason to think Stephen Wells agrees with it? His record isn't built on drafting ready-made stars (Selwood aside) - it's built on having drafted a lot of players who looked like they had potential early on, and had the drive and ability (and Geelong's culture/development) to become champions. If all the other clubs are resigned to this being a shallow draft, Wells might have identified half a dozen players unlikely to go before around pick 40-50 that he thinks are worth a shot.

I think SJ should be re-signed because he's played some very good footy this year, but I'm not sure that "the 2015 draft will 100% definitely be shallow" is a good argument for it.

I know this is the conventional wisdom, but is there any reason to think Stephen Wells agrees with it? His record isn't built on drafting ready-made stars (Selwood aside) - it's built on having drafted a lot of players who looked like they had potential early on, and had the drive and ability (and Geelong's culture/development) to become champions. If all the other clubs are resigned to this being a shallow draft, Wells might have identified half a dozen players unlikely to go before around pick 40-50 that he thinks are worth a shot.

I think SJ should be re-signed because he's played some very good footy this year, but I'm not sure that "the 2015 draft will 100% definitely be shallow" is a good argument for it.
I'm not saying anything regarding early picks or ready made superstars.

As you state, we should be keeping SJ regardless. I disagree with those who state things along the lines of 'SJ is too old.' Age in this case has nothing to do with it. He is playing well enough, and I think its more wise to keep him then pick someone up in the 5th or 6th round of the draft this year.

Guess hindsight is great but it would have been great to do that trade with GWS for Stevie last year, we would have picked up pick 4 and he would have picked up a lucrative contract for probably 3-4 years.

I have yet to see it confirmed officially. There is a lot of anecdotal smoke however.

If it does happen, the sun will come up tomorrow.

And probably cast light on a discussion that will go 2 years and about 597 pages - with good reason.

I get the reason why he needs to be moved and those for him to stay.

What I don't get is the hurry, with 6 players gone to this point, to get him out.

Perhaps it simply comes down to pride. We saw it with Chappy. Club wanted X and he wanted Y. Could be the same here.

You can't discount SJ's legacy or what he might do next year. I just hope that sanity prevails and SJ realises the last few weeks have been great but the several before it were rough. And that the club can compromise. Give him the 1 yr incentive type deal. Let him play into it. And if he does not hit it or get close he does not play.

I just think there is enough material there for them both to meet in the middle.

GO Catters

Guess hindsight is great but it would have been great to do that trade with GWS for Stevie last year, we would have picked up pick 4 and he would have picked up a lucrative contract for probably 3-4 years.

Sydney tried to get him in 2013 also. We were offered Mumford back and two other Sydney players who are now starters but the club refused.
Last year, GWS came asking for his services, rumor has it we were very interested but couldn't get it done because Johnson was overseas.
Top 10 pick would probably set us up with another gun midfielder for the next decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back