Geelong and Sydney - can anyone stop them?

Remove this Banner Ad

No they won't.
We have now banked in early wins and while injuries are beginning to mount, we are still sitting in a very favorable position. Over the next month, we lose a couple more games but the opposition below us will also suffer injury setbacks. By the time we have re-found our mojo, it will be the perfect time to pounce on those teams who are feeling it.
Geelong are a bottom 4 team that has been well and truly found out.

You're always the quickest to meltdown as soon as there is a sign of turbulence, after being bullish before. We're 2-2 having gotten through 4 games of this tough 6 game run. A comfortable win, a close win and two close losses.

Geelong will continue to have a bunch of close games and probably finish closer to the 15/16 win mark than 10/11. 3rd-6th is my best estimation of ladder position. Guess it's gonna be an old "bookmark this" situation.
Delusional. Geelong are gone in 2024 and will be lucky to win 2 more games this year.

Absolute worst case scenario is 12 wins

Impossible for Geelong to drop any of
Richmond at GMHBA
Hawthorn at GMHBA
Bulldogs at GMHBA
North at Blundstone
West Coast at GMHBA
Imagine being gifted such a soft draw, 2 seasons out from winning a flag...

That's garbage!
We may lose but I will be shocked if we are beaten easily. Remember, we gave Port Adelaide a 50 point head start and reeled them back in and almost drew the game had an advantage call been allowed.

I still like GWS. They are in a real form slump right now but will come storming home in the back half of the season.

Collingwood are the one to look out for. So much experience and their game style stands up in crunch games.

Consider yourself shocked!

Tonight was awful, but finishing on 8 or 9 wins was still a silly prediction. 15 wins is still more likely than 8. There's another 6 games at home.
They might not win any of them? They have the worst midfield in the competition, absolutely useless at stoppages and no rucks. They have finally bottomed out. It's okay, the major re-build must start now.

They might not win any of them? They have the worst midfield in the competition, absolutely useless at stoppages and no rucks. They have finally bottomed out. It's okay, the major re-build must start now.
Fair enough. You have never been moderate enough to understand a mixed bag of results is more likely than either extreme.

Geelong are a bottom 4 team that has been well and truly found out.

I don't think that's completely the case.

This season we've had six disastrous quarters of football.
  • 1st quarter against Brisbane
  • 1st and 2nd quarter against Port
  • last 3 quarters against the Suns.

All six of the quarters had the same characteristics. I think it was very obvious that we were/are physically lacking in midfield and around the ball in general. We are seeing that in wet/slippery conditions that is amplified with the problem much more manageable in dry conditions. When you can't finesse the situation and have to repeatedly put your head over the ball our midfield and half forwards lack of size is getting exposed, we see them get pushed off the ball and completely dominated at stoppages.

Ever heard of a soft landing?

Why give Geelong a few years of top 3 picks? Better to have them stall around 7th-12th for a few years until Tassie is scooping everything up, right?
Geelong have the most easy draw this year, yet North and WCE have had very difficult ones to start the year.

Good for watching the inevitable fall from grace I guess but it's simply a leg-up Geelong don't need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong never convinced me, they are pretenders. Will probably finish around 8th and lose week 1 of finals. Remind me of North in 2016 who won the first 10 then barely won any more and almost scraped into the 8. An aging list with generally pretty average youngsters. Theyve been up so long its about bloody time too.

Aren't these things based on the previous year in isolation? Regardless, we don't get the whinging WCE twice so it can't be that soft.
You get us in round 23 at GBH stadium. A nice soft kill, just in time for finals.

Also, lol at being previous year in isolation, when Geelong got a famously easy draw last year also and bottom 4 sides got much tougher ones.

I guess there's a reason they fail spectacularly most years. Geelong gets such an easy draw that they're simply set up to fail come finals time.

You get us in round 23 at GBH stadium. A nice soft kill, just in time for finals.

Also, lol at being previous year in isolation, when Geelong got a famously easy draw last year also and bottom 4 sides got much tougher ones.

I guess there's a reason they fail spectacularly most years. Geelong gets such an easy draw that they're simply set up to fail come finals time.
As opposed to not playing your bunch of whingers at all? Also most teams 'fail' every year, but one thing we can say for certain in the 21st century is that no one has tasted success more than Geelong. Strange post, but a fixture whine is in-line with the way your club conducts itself these days so fair enough.

As opposed to not playing your bunch of whingers at all? Also most teams 'fail' every year, but one thing we can say for certain in the 21st century is that no one has tasted success more than Geelong. Strange post, but a fixture whine is in-line with the way your club conducts itself these days so fair enough.
What whining? I seem to recall the AFL giving your coach a 'please explain' for not getting favourable HT umpiring for once.

I knew our boy Flash would be up and about with the doom and gloom after that loss. True to form, here he is.
Geelong have Richmond, North and West Coast to come and he doesn't even have them winning all three of those games!

Pretty sure he retired Selwood and Dangerfield in May 2022, and was picking them for the spoon the next year. Must be a Tigers fan in disguise, it's the only explanation.

I knew our boy Flash would be up and about with the doom and gloom after that loss. True to form, here he is.
Geelong have Richmond, North and West Coast to come and he doesn't even have them winning all three of those games!

Pretty sure he retired Selwood and Dangerfield in May 2022, and was picking them for the spoon the next year. Must be a Tigers fan in disguise, it's the only explanation.
Old Flash isn't a troll or burner account, he/she is just unbelievably emotional with no room for nuance.

A single win is the beginning of a dynasty. World hunger has been solved, discrimination is a thing of the past, and we all live in a utopia.

A single loss means the club should be burned to the ground, the coach & players sacked, and an AFL investigation into why the Geelong Football club is so shit.

Even by BigFooty standards, it's quite the pendulum swing.

Unfortunately, when you're documenting your meltdowns on the internet rather than in your own home, it can leave quite the track record for why you shouldn't be taken seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back