Geelong sending players for surgery early and impacting GWS finals chances

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said, all clubs do it - Geelong was just an example.

Including your club, who threw the game against Carlton and kept their winning streak going. That really ****ed up the competition, nobody wants to see Carlton go on a win streak.

Strange way to look at it. It's on GWS to win on Sunday. They win and they make finals, simple as that.

This- You don't fail to make finals because of bad luck in the final round, you fail to make finals because you put together a weak season where you were unable to secure a high enough position to not worry about luck. Heck- If the goal umpire doesn't **** up last week then we are playing for 8th this week and GWS don't make it

Last edited:
Makes me laugh how North will be watched closely this weekend, and the Eagles were wrongly accused of tanking recently.
Yet sides like Geelong can put the cue in the rack compromising the comp and you can back it in no way Melbourne are beating Sydney deliberately this weekend.
Why would they?

Thats a false comparison- No one doubts Geelong tried to finish as high as possible this year, less certainty on either the Eagles or Norths effort (though I don't think either team tanked, they were just s**t).

Thought I covered that in paying outside the cap, but yeah. Lots of land going strangely cheap in the right parts of regional Victoria if you play for the Cats.

Yeah it’s the only place in Australia that has a real estate market. The other 17 teams have no access to this. There are no real estate agents even open in Melbourne anymore

Yeah it’s the only place in Australia that has a real estate market. The other 17 teams have no access to this. There are no real estate agents even open in Melbourne anymore
Is this another weird way of trying to convince everyone Melbourne is better than Sydney or?

No. It’s pointing out the absurdly ignored reality that any club can offer house and/or land deals to a player if you genuinely believe that this is a reason players sign on.
Any club can rort the salary cap system yes, but only certain clubs can do it knowing they’ll get away with it.

Some good examples include Carlton with VISY, Collingwood with TV appearances, Geelong with hobby farms at bargain prices.

Any club can rort the salary cap system yes, but only certain clubs can do it knowing they’ll get away with it.

Some good examples include Carlton with VISY, Collingwood with TV appearances, Geelong with hobby farms at bargain prices.

Again, what access do we have to cheap hobby farms that aren’t equaled by access to cheap townhouses or apartments for other clubs?

Again, what access do we have to cheap hobby farms that aren’t equaled by access to cheap townhouses or apartments for other clubs?
I don't have much knowledge of any of this, but I am amazed the AFL hadn't regulated mode thoroughly any remuneration outside the cap, particularly with respect to land and businesses.

It genuinely just blows my mind if any of this is actually true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have much knowledge of any of this, but I am amazed the AFL hadn't regulated mode thoroughly any remuneration outside the cap, particularly with respect to land and businesses.

It genuinely just blows my mind if any of this is actually true.

I doubt that it is. I’m sure all clubs have connections to people who can make things easier or they have their businesses that they prefer their players to deal with, but I very much doubt Jeremy Cameron was given 100 acres for the price of a postage stamp just because he’s a country boy.

I doubt that it is. I’m sure all clubs have connections to people who can make things easier or they have their businesses that they prefer their players to deal with, but I very much doubt Jeremy Cameron was given 100 acres for the price of a postage stamp just because he’s a country boy.
Obviously the bigfooty rumour is that Dangerfield and others were given massive amounts of outside the cap payments in the form of land and businesses (a pub?) I don't know the truth to any of it, but I find it monumentally confusing that such a thing could have possibly been allowed by the AFL.

Sadly the only AFL player I actually know isn't the sort of player to be getting pubs or farms. And I never felt comfortable asking him about something like that.

It is just so confusing.

Geelong should be fined or go down the draft order for manipulating match results imo.
They're basically tanking to get better draft picks.
If they win they get draft picks 9, 27 and 45,
If they lose they could get picks 6, 24 and 42.
That's a huge difference.
It should be investigated. It's no different to tanking for pick 1.
The thing is Aristotle is serious.

I was about to say Richmond did exactly the same as Geelong…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back