Geelong vs pies final should not be at the mcg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea my bad. Replied to the wrong spud, I’m sure you get my drift.

Anyway, anyone else had enough of this topic for another year?

Thank * I don’t support a team followed by such needy, self entitled cretins.

hey hey! Who you calling a cretin? I can be needy and self entitled just fine without being a cretin.

Almost as if the AFL decides where finals are played...not the clubs.

And it is all about $$ that they can make.

Stay with me here… Sydney decide that they wish to play their home games/finals at the SCG, which is their right and no reasonable person disputes; the hire arrangements are updated accordingly. Which came first, the decision to change venues (the club’s decision) or the revision to the hire arrangements?

Stay with me here… Sydney decide that they wish to play their home games/finals at the SCG, which is their right and no reasonable person disputes; the hire arrangements are updated accordingly. Which came first, the decision to change venues (the club’s decision) or the revision to the hire arrangements?
That is just crap.

StKilda may wish to play finals at Docklands, the AFL wont change commercial arrangements to suit StKilda unless can get a better return.

Back in 2016 Stadium Australia management announced it was working with NSW government to redevelop into a rectangular stadium.

So AFL would then look to negotiate improved terms with SCG trust, as SCG would be losing some NRL games.

Where Sydney wants to play isnt a factor, the AFL negotiates directly with stadiums for where finals will be played.

Think a little harder about why this came about.

Stadium Australia was going rectangular, and thus a stadium deal with SCG trust was signed for 30 years including finals arrangements.

Just the same as AFL locked in a deal with the MCG including finals arrangements.

Where StKilda, Sydney, Essendon or Geelong want to play finals is irrelevant when AFL deals are in place with stadiums for content.

The AFL and State Govt didnt pay to upgrade VicPark, so the Pies were forced from home ground.

But yes, Eddie did well to get a good stadium deal that also meant the MCG gave up the right to always host one PF....non-vic clubs should be thanking Collingwood.

Go check our record at the G v away from the G...in the 2010s decade we had a better record in games away from the G.

And in GFs, Pies are 0-5 since we became an MCG tenant.

The G is a neutral ground, too many clubs play there for it to advantage any individual team.

You can rationalise it however you want but the AFL's decision to move away from small suburban stadiums has had huge benefits for 3 Melbourne clubs in particular, Richmond, Collingwood and Melbourne, and little to no disadvantage whatsover. Collingwood and Richmond had nothing to lose in doing so and everything to gain. Maybe not so much Melbourne because as far as I know the MCG has always been their home ground.

These 3 clubs play significantly more home and away games at the MCG since Docklands was built than other Melbourne clubs and that clearly has given these 3 a cumulative edge over time, 15+ games at the MCG in most seasons whereas some of the smaller Melbourne are lucky to play 3 all year at all. It's just that Melbourne and Richmond have been for decades embarrassingly inept to take advantage of it until recently.

Some go on about Geelong's unfair 'cheat' home ground advantage but I'll easily trade places with the arrangement that those 3 have in an instant, an advantage that in my opinion is considerably bigger than what Geelong has at Kardinia Park.

The Saints, Dogs, Roos, etc.. playing against the Pies at the MCG is no neutral ground when their fans are comfortably outnumbered even when they are occasionally the designated 'home' team and their players no where as familiar and comfortable with the ground as the Magpies/Richmond/Melbourne players.

Last edited:
Really, yet Scott does it.

Or maybe you are wrong.
I was referring to the Geelong admin and I cringe when CS because it sends the wrong message to the players. CS is probably thinking about how his own performance in finals would be judged when he does that rather than having in mind the impact his comments can have on the playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can rationalise it however you want but the AFL's decision to move away from small suburban stadiums has had huge benefits for 3 Melbourne clubs in particular, Richmond, Collingwood and Melbourne, and little to no disadvantage whatsover. Collingwood and Richmond had nothing to lose in doing so and everything to gain. Maybe not so much Melbourne because as far as I know the MCG has always been their home ground.
Richmond moved to the G in the 1960s.

Check out Collingwood's W/L record at VicPark and then compare it to the MCG.

At VicPark we had a huge home ground advantage.

The G is a neutral ground, Collingwood had a better record away from the G in the 2010s.
These 3 clubs play significantly more home and away games at the MCG since Docklands was built than other Melbourne clubs and that clearly has given these 3 a cumulative edge over time, 15+ games at the MCG in most seasons whereas some of the smaller Melbourne are lucky to play 3 all year at all.
No clubs play 15+ home away games at the G anymore.

Essendon/Richmond used to back in the 90s some years, but that was before Docklands.
It's just that Melbourne and Richmond have been for decades embarrassingly inept to take advantage of it until recently.
Or perhaps there is no advantage of calling the G home during H&A.

Much better to actually retain a boutique individual home ground, this makes logical sense and is supported by stats.
Some go on about Geelong's unfair 'cheat' home ground advantage but I'll easily trade places with the arrangement that those 3 have in an instant, an advantage that in my opinion is considerably bigger than what Geelong has at Kardinia Park.
Yeah, playing home games in NT, QLD, Tassie and Docklands is a great arrangement.

Sorry to the Freo fans for making an assumption about tomorrow's result, but what combo of these prelim finals would draw the bigger crowd? Geelong/Brisbane at a full capacity Kardinia Park and Sydney/Collingwood at Olympic Stadium? Or Geelong/Brisbane at the MCG and Sydney/Collingwood at the SCG? The latter is what the AFL would do, the former is what would actually draw the bigger combined crowd.

One thing is for sure

If Collingwood lose tonight, every Big Vic fan will use this years finals series as an argument as to why having the GF at the MCG every year until forever is fine.

One thing is for sure

If Collingwood lose tonight, every Big Vic fan will use this years finals series as an argument as to why having the GF at the MCG every year until forever is fine.
Na, that is already done.

Dees won the flag in 2021 not playing any finals at the G.

2022, finished top2 and go out in straight sets to two non-vic teams.

The G is a neutral ground.

Sorry to the Freo fans for making an assumption about tomorrow's result, but what combo of these prelim finals would draw the bigger crowd? Geelong/Brisbane at a full capacity Kardinia Park and Sydney/Collingwood at Olympic Stadium? Or Geelong/Brisbane at the MCG and Sydney/Collingwood at the SCG? The latter is what the AFL would do, the former is what would actually draw the bigger combined crowd.
Playing both at the G would give the biggest overall crowd.

But the AFL has contracts in place that require the Swans prelim to be at the SCG and the Cats prelim at the MCG.

Think both crowds would be similar looking at historical data - but why is your hypothetical pointing at Sydney playing their home final at a ground they’ve had less exposure at than you’ve had at the G as a preferred option? It clearly wouldn’t be to them. Presumably you’ve drawn that bow to point out the “unjustness” to Geelong - which to a point I agree with. Once Skilled has a capacity matching the other interstate grounds finals are played at there is no reason at all that Geelong home finals shouldn’t be played there IMO

Plus with construction work ongoing at Skilled it’s a moot point anyway?

So with the Prelim confirmed for Friday Night I’m guessing Geelong fans will be massively up outnumbered given they can’t get to the game 😉
Not against brisbane. im ok with us playing home finals against interstate teams at the mcg as we have a small home advantage in this scenario. Unlike against melbourne teams where not only do we have no home advantage but we are a clear away team.

Na, that is already done.

Dees won the flag in 2021 not playing any finals at the G.

2022, finished top2 and go out in straight sets to two non-vic teams.

The G is a neutral ground.
Whats so special about the G that makes it Neutral?
Equal home ground support? - No
Equal distance from competing clubs? - No
Familiarity for all competing clubs? - No
doppleganger says so? - yes

Well I guess I was wrong

Not against brisbane. im ok with us playing home finals against interstate teams at the mcg as we have a small home advantage in this scenario. Unlike against melbourne teams where not only do we have no home advantage but we are a clear away team.

But your club also said it’s impossible for its fans to get to the MCG on a Friday night! So were they lying?

So you’re saying Geelong v Brisbane at the MCG will only draw 40,000?

That would be the lowest drawing MCG prelim in a very long time surely…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back