Mega Thread Oh yeah ... did you know there are 17 other teams? - General AFL discussion #9 - Blues posters only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he does anything like that again he gets what ever punishment is fitting plus 12 months jail added to it no questions asked.

Got off lightly considering but suspended sentences serve a purpose

Got off lightly in comparison to Newman.

Well how come Newman got jail time and he had the same WA judicial system. Maybe more a Collingwood thing going on. To my mind both Newman and Marley deserve jail time even if it was a shorter sentence. Newman would not be happy of Marley's suspended sentence.

2 different cases and both got punishments Marley is on the lighter side of the spectrum but if he screws up again he goes away no questions asked.

Also reduces the need for minimum sentences and the over population of prisons and the burden on the tax payers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I went into the club shop today. Noticed there wasn't as much in there as there has been in the past.

Got my 150 Guernsey with Murphy's number. Fits perfectly, glad I went in to try it on. The pre season polo was great as well, it's actually the polo material which is nice.

Got my membership sorted out nice and easily, the guy was really helpful. Said it must have got lost in the mail and they've organized to resend it.

So I went into the club shop today. Noticed there wasn't as much in there as there has been in the past.

Got my 150 Guernsey with Murphy's number. Fits perfectly, glad I went in to try it on. The pre season polo was great as well, it's actually the polo material which is nice.

Got my membership sorted out nice and easily, the guy was really helpful. Said it must have got lost in the mail and they've organized to resend it.

Yeah - mine never arrived either ?

In the Newman case, he deliberately set out to **** that guy up. He bragged about hunting him down on social media and has expressed no remorse.
One could suggest that Williams plea of not guilty also demonstrates a lack of remorse. Could have saved the WA judicial system quite a bit of money by pleading guilty, saving the need for a trial, when a guilty verdict was always going to be the outcome.

One thing people need to be careful of (& I don't mean you MEB) is not confusing Williams' subsequent demonstration of charity with the Salvos as anything other than an attempt to mitigate the sentence he knew was coming his way. I see in his post sentence statement that he says he has hurt & let a number of people down, but yet again fails to specifically acknowledge that he actually broke somebody's jaw in an act of unjustifiable violence.

As for the judge's comments:

‘‘Had you been sober, had you been more mature, you would have let the matter drop,’’ Judge Wager said. ‘‘But for the aggression shown to you earlier, you would not have been involved in this matter.’’

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...harm-charge-20140422-zqxri.html#ixzz2ziDb1H1i

What a crock of s**t. If you can't control your behaviour after a few 'sherbets', well perhaps consuming alcohol is not for you. This judge has set back the 'one punch can kill' cause with her lenient sentence & her comments. I get sick of hearing defence lawyers & judges trying to mitigate someone's responsibility on the basis they were drunk. Such a defence can't be relied on for charges of drink driving, causing death or serious injury, so why should it be an excuse in the case of GBH charges.

One could suggest that Williams plea of not guilty also demonstrates a lack of remorse. Could have saved the WA judicial system quite a bit of money by pleading guilty, saving the need for a trial, when a guilty verdict was always going to be the outcome.

One thing people need to be careful of (& I don't mean you MEB) is not confusing Williams' subsequent demonstration of charity with the Salvos as anything other than an attempt to mitigate the sentence he knew was coming his way. I see in his post sentence statement that he says he has hurt & let a number of people down, but yet again fails to specifically acknowledge that he actually broke somebody's jaw in an act of unjustifiable violence.

As for the judge's comments:

‘‘Had you been sober, had you been more mature, you would have let the matter drop,’’ Judge Wager said. ‘‘But for the aggression shown to you earlier, you would not have been involved in this matter.’’

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...harm-charge-20140422-zqxri.html#ixzz2ziDb1H1i

What a crock of s**t. If you can't control your behaviour after a few 'sherbets', well perhaps consuming alcohol is not for you. This judge has set back the 'one punch can kill' cause with her lenient sentence & her comments. I get sick of hearing defence lawyers & judges trying to mitigate someone's responsibility on the basis they were drunk. Such a defence can't be relied on for charges of drink driving, causing death or serious injury, so why should it be an excuse in the case of GBH charges.

I hear ya. I abhor violence. One of my cousins was coward punched in yarrawonga and knocked out, and a friend's brother was killed with a coward punch at fed square a couple of years ago. I don't think being drunk can be used as an excuse for any bad behaviour, at all.

However, the circumstances surrounding the two cases compared in this thread are quite different, which is the only thing I was trying to point out.

I hear ya. I abhor violence. One of my cousins was coward punched in yarrawonga and knocked out, and a friend's brother was killed with a coward punch at fed square a couple of years ago. I don't think being drunk can be used as an excuse for any bad behaviour, at all.

However, the circumstances surrounding the two cases compared in this thread are quite different, which is the only thing I was trying to point out.
I agree the circumstances of the Newman & Williams cases were different, but IMO both should be behind bars, not just Newman. I hope the WA DPP has a good look at the sentence handed out to Williams & gives consideration to appealing the sentence as being manifestly inadequate, taking into account the injuries suffered by Williams' victim,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back