Mega Thread Oh yeah ... did you know there are 17 other teams? - General AFL discussion #9 - Blues posters only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone who drinks then drives is a s**t person.
The difference between .045 and .068 is not significant as to make one a s**t person. Hawks probably should have punished him, but there are many forms of dangerous driving that we've all likely done at some point.

The difference between .045 and .068 is not significant as to make one a s**t person. Hawks probably should have punished him, but there are many forms of dangerous driving that we've all likely done at some point.
Why is Hodge out boozing while suspended?

Poor example to the playing group.

To think he's done this after Brett Ratten's kid has been killed in a car accident and a mixture of drugs and alcohol were involved there.

What a bloody idiot. But that's nothing that we didn't already know.

Respect for Hawthorn is dropping. If this were Carlton or any number of other clubs the media would be portraying it as a club in crisis but because it's Hawthorn they'll get hit with a wet lettuce leaf over the wrists by the media and that'll be it.

Club will fine him max allowable by PA of $5k. He would only be suspended a game if Hawthorn were in Freo's position or he was injured. Club's frown on player's breaking society's laws unless it jeopardizes their flag chances - then footy>law/accountability.

Hodge caught drink driving, no fine from the club

Course not. I mean, he didn't mean it, right? Great bloke, ruffle his hair and on your way you little scamp.
I can imagine what the Channel 7 commentators would be saying.

"Well to be fair to Hodgey, he wasn't drinking excessively it's just that being on those Lite'n'easy ads and diet he's lost some weight which has affected his body's ability to cope with his usual alcohol intake. An honest mistake really, should get of with a warning I'd say."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Than bonehead Shaw on AW suggested he should be cut some slack as he has "credits in the bank". For credits in the bank read "he hasn't been caught drink driving before and this is such a Herculean act of manhood it should be taken into account at the times when he is".

Than bonehead Shaw on AW suggested he should be cut some slack as he has "credits in the bank". For credits in the bank read "he hasn't been caught drink driving before and this is such a Herculean act of manhood it should be taken into account at the times when he is".
That ******* Shaw should remember one of his old team mates...

Trivialize the issue if you must, but to me there is no material difference between .045 and .068. You're a s**t person if you get behind the wheel of a car and blow either reading.

Blowing .045 might be OK in the eyes of the law but that is where it stops IMO.

To endanger the lives of others for the sake of a drink is disgusting and something I have zero tolerance for. Just as the culpable driver has zero consideration for everyone else around them when they make the decision to get behind the wheel.

But that's another issue entirely. The point made, before you took off on a tangent like a well known poster who apparently no longer visits this board, is that Hawthorn have erred for not taking this opportunity to show their strong support for stamping out idiots getting behind a wheel after drinking, an issue which continues to plague society.

For a role model and club leader to do it and not be punished by his club is not just an indictment on Hodge himself but Hawthorn as a club. Had it been a lesser known player at a stage earlier in the year, I have no doubt Hawthorn would have dealt with it far more seriously than simply brushing it aside.

This has been an incredibly trying year for the AFL community, jolted a number of times and reminded that ultimately this is just a game, and that life's issues are of far greater significance than everything out on the field. It didn't take long for Hawthorn to show they don't necessarily believe that to be true if it is one of their best players committing such a significant error.

The point raised above by Wickzki above is a brilliant one which I had not considered. This issue hit close to home for them just two weeks ago. They saw first hand the issues dangerous driving can cause, yet he still did it. How dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back