Mega Thread Oh yeah ... did you know there are 17 other teams? - General AFL discussion #9 - Blues posters only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Hawthorn and the train driver's union honcho, Luba Grigorivitch, need to take some responsibility over this.

Drunken footballers should be catching public transport home like the rest of us instead of getting into cars.

Rule of thumb: Average sized person drinking five standard drinks in an hour should be on the limit.

Every hour takes away one of those drinks; After one hour without further drinking, you'll be .04.....another hour you'll be .03 etc.

Maybe: Hodge is bigger than an average person and blew the equivalent of 7 drinks saying that he had a break before driving off...even with one hour added, he had had 8 drinks.............not 3 or 4.
That's more a rule of fist Harks. It's two in the first hour and one for each subsequent hour plus numerous variables. 3-4 drinks over an hour or two would have most people at or over the limit

passmark probably agrees with all that, MEB. He doesn't agree about the media and others showing 'outrage' about it.
Well that doesn't make any sense. If we accept it as normal or "oh, poor bugger didn't realise he was over!" then things will never change.

I know that drink driving used to be very common, my parents have told me that their parents would sink beers all day and then pile all the kids in the car and head home, but I think Australian society has done well to turn that around. People who drink drive should be made an example of, because it's so ******* stupid.

Really? My employment contract is between me and my employer? Appreciate you clearing that up.

My fairly obvious point being that stupid decisions made outside of work often have bearing on your employment. Given the behavioural clauses that are undoubtedly written in to every AFL contract there is plenty of cause for Hawthorn to meter further punishment...had they the balls.

the outrage is due to it being Hodge and Hawthorn.

I don't see it as anything more than a low to mid level traffic offence that's been dealt with by the courts.

I have plenty of reasons to dislike the Hawks and Hodge but this isn't one of them.

That's more a rule of fist Harks. It's two in the first hour and one for each subsequent hour plus numerous variables. 3-4 drinks over an hour or two would have most people at or over the limit

The above was my understanding when I used to have a drink and then drive....(Not the "I'll get pissed and take off" type)

Never got done for drink driving using that principle but there is another principle that requires subscribing to and that is, if you feel NQR....do not drive.
It's not all about the legality of the limit but the effect it has on the person.

Well that doesn't make any sense. If we accept it as normal or "oh, poor bugger didn't realise he was over!" then things will never change.

I know that drink driving used to be very common, my parents have told me that their parents would sink beers all day and then pile all the kids in the car and head home, but I think Australian society has done well to turn that around. People who drink drive should be made an example of, because it's so ******* stupid.
It has been an amazing effort by police and government to reduce the road toll. I recall the scoreboard at the G in about 1969/70 having the number at something like 1035. 1035 dead in one state in one year. It has been reduced by over 2 thirds in a couple of generations.

a point I was about to make Thy.
The behaviour of drivers is so much better now. Primarily on the back of education, policing and punishment.
At the moment the courts, enforcing acts and codes passed by parliament, deemed this to be worth $450 and 10 points.

I think part of the decrease in drink-driving numbers is the social stigma attached. You really think anyone who knows a person has been drinking will travel with him/her these days? The consequences post-incident include a weight of public frowning and rightly so. People busted for drink-driving are usually ashamed of themselves and feel guilty about their behaviour. No need for any of that if society just pats you on the back and offers a ride home from court.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think part of the decrease in drink-driving numbers is the social stigma attached. You really think anyone who knows a person has been drinking will travel with him/her these days? The consequences post-incident include a weight of public frowning and rightly so. People busted for drink-driving are usually ashamed of themselves and feel guilty about their behaviour. No need for any of that if society just pats you on the back and offers a ride home from court.
I remember having a massive argument with a fella I was dating because we went to a party and he was the DD for the night. He drank too much and I refused to get in the car with him so he sped off and left me there to fend for myself.

I ended up in tears walking a kilometre or so to the workplace of my best friend's husband (restaurant manager, so he worked late) and he gave me a lift home. Turns out the guy I was dating lost control of the car and nearly crashed into a pole, spooked himself, and ended up getting a friend to pick him up also.

Dodged a bullet. Stopped seeing the guy too.

This just confirms Hodgey is a bogan knob on and off the field. ;)

But we should stop treating celebs as role-models. If you can't trust the reigning premiership captain not to drive after two many Ollies then who can you trust?

Good on you Luke "do as I say, not as I do" Hodge.
With him going on last night's telecast of Friday night Footy, I'm surprised those flogs H.McLachlan and co weren't kissing his arse for being brave and getting on the front foot.
His actions were wrong. Luckily nobody got hurt. Pay the price. Move along.

Rule of thumb: Average sized person drinking five standard drinks in an hour should be on the limit.

Every hour takes away one of those drinks; After one hour without further drinking, you'll be .04.....another hour, you'll be .03 etc.

Maybe: Hodge is bigger than an average person and blew the equivalent of 7 drinks, saying that he had a break before driving off...even with one hour added, he had had 8 drinks.............not 3 or 4.
Watching the interview it was like an episode of RBT where the caught driver claims to have had about the half the number they consumed.

As noted by Harks 3 or 4 drinks would likely not even get you to the limit.

Watching the interview it was like an episode of RBT where the caught driver claims to have had about the half the number they consumed.

As noted by Harks 3 or 4 drinks would likely not even get you to the limit.

Over what time period was he supposed to have consumed the 3 or 4 drinks?

What drinks? standard, pints, cans, full strength mid strength?

Over what time period was he supposed to have consumed the 3 or 4 drinks?

What drinks? standard, pints, cans, full strength mid strength?
Wasnt very specific in the interview as for how long or what was being drunk but used the phrase 3 or 4 drinks.

Everyone knows that you can't be .68 with 3-4 standard drinks under your belt and particularly after giving the drinking a rest before hopping into your car................unless you call a Darwin Stubbie a standard drink.

He messed up and should have simply said as such or said nothing at all............because everyone knows that you've fronted up to tell us a lie, Luke.
That or he drinks Brewdog's 'Sink The Bismarck!' ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back