Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How are you finding the yoga peternorth?

I downloaded an app, but haven't had the time between a new job and the holiday season to fit it in. How long does it take you?

PS thanks for the compliments guys, was more keen on finding out info but positive feedback and love always welcome :)
Mofra peternorth Jab

How are you finding the yoga peternorth?

I downloaded an app, but haven't had the time between a new job and the holiday season to fit it in. How long does it take you?

i struggled a lot with yoga practices at first. but then it gets easier. i was amazed and surprised at how much inner strength you need to pull off and hold some poses. and some of the patrons are SO FLEXIBLE!!

has it helped my fitness? i guess no in terms of tangiblity. i mean i dont see muscle growth etc. but it must be doing something good. i find it relaxing and a nice way to end the day (well classes are in the evening).

classes are an hour, but pass quickly.

its not bikram yoga, just "normal" yoga in a partially darkened room.

if you do start it, i recommend attending a class. helps with technique and you can ask questions at class end to clarify any queries you may have.

this is a pose we always do towards the end of class. i think its called the plough

4-yoga-the-plough-posture_large.jpg

Thanks! Great info. Will give it a go when my life slows down.

Thanks! Great info. Will give it a go when my life slows down.

i think you will find it rewarding and beneficial at the same time.

you may find it extremely helpful during your busy period now. it will help your inner chi and also does wonders to the human body systems (apparently).

Found this random article pretty interesting.

10 health benefits of cold showers.

Awesome! Pretty much all my showers in the summer are with all cold water.. love how refreshing it is. Especially today in Perth, pretty sure we cracked 40C. Hence why I politely turned down mates' offer to take a day off and go to the cricket with them.. happy to just keep track on the break room TV without getting baked alive thanks! :)

Awesome! Pretty much all my showers in the summer are with all cold water.. love how refreshing it is.

I always finish with a cold blast for a few minutes, though in winter I often wuss out a bit and only stick my head under.

I've done it ever since a GF years ago convinced me it was good for you - her mum was a nurse so that was legitimate enough for me, though this is the first time it ever occurred to me to google it.

Only problem is in a shared house your gasps sound like you're orgasming in the shower.

I always finish with a cold blast for a few minutes, though in winter I often wuss out a bit and only stick my head under.

I've done it ever since a GF years ago convinced me it was good for you - her mum was a nurse so that was legitimate enough for me, though this is the first time it ever occurred to me to google it.

Only problem is in a shared house your gasps sound like you're orgasming in the shower.

Hahaha! Thats gold! Yer you do make involuntary disturbing noises when you jump in for sure..

Yer Im a wuss in winter as well, only thing I do is fill the bathtub up about halfway with cold water and submerge my legs after a game of footy for 20mins, then a warm shower..

Probably not the most appropriate thread on the forum, but may be interesting for some fitness fanatics.

Shupe I half remember you've said you played American football, is that right? If so, how's the sport progressing in AUS? Close to a professional Men's league in AUS? Noticed a ladies match was on the other night. Wow :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably not the most appropriate thread on the forum, but may be interesting for some fitness fanatics.

Shupe I half remember you've said you played American football, is that right? If so, how's the sport progressing in AUS? Close to a professional Men's league in AUS? Noticed a ladies match was on the other night. Wow :thumbsu:

I'm guessing you started a thread and it's been merged in here? Haha.

Yeah I do play, it's only my rookie season at the moment, so I'm not entirely sure the scope of things in Australia. Here in WA, we have a seven team league. The numbers seem decent for most teams, however there is one club that seems to struggle and has players playing both ways. The was also a team that folded at the end of last season.

I'm not sure the politics of it all, but I'd say we're a fair distance from having anything close to resembling a professional mens league. Furthermore, I'm not sure how the sport is progressing on the other side of the country. I think what's telling is that the weekend just gone, my team was matched up against a team which boasts an Australian Representative wide receiver (who actually played for us up until a month ago when he decided he'd jump for better results). Due to injuries etc., I ended up covering him from the slot for much of the second half. I'm a linebacker, not a cornerback. Me, in my rookie season and being played out of position, managed to keep him to one 8 yard reception.

All things considered, can you imagine a rookie in an amateur league matching up on Franklin? Kennedy? Riewoldt? Hell, Scott Gumbleton? and evening coming close to taking the points? Not a chance. I think we are a fair way off having a professional league.

Haha nup, just decided to plonk the question in here ('general') for others to view - was going to PM.

Had a brainwave the other night (or so I thought...) that I should start lifting only for strength and jump on the NFL/American footy bandwagon. Having been good at a couple of other sports, but not having quite the dedication due to my edumacations, I was thinking of giving it a red hot crack and possibly (hopeful!) jumping on the bandwagon... Just when the sport is in a transformation. Unfortunately, doesn't seem the case. :(

Thanks for the detailed reply bud. :thumbsu:

I'm not quite sure I understand. Are you saying that you only want to play if you think the sport is heading somewhere in this country? Look, I think it's growing, there's no doubt about that. But it seems there is a long way to go until athletes are being paid to play.

Yep, pretty much. Being paid in a few years (professionally) would be the goal.

Gotta do some searching heading into the new year for a transforming sport.

Lofty expectations! I suggest you do some further research in regards to American Football because, like I said, I have no idea how it's travelling over on your side of the country. WA is often behind with these sorts of things...

I was thinking about having a crack with the Curtin team (mature age student there). My brother has been trying to talk me into it and it seems like the one sport where a beer belly might actually be an advantage :p

Bit worried that the crashing and bashing at weird angles might * up my knees though.

I was thinking about having a crack with the Curtin team (mature age student there). My brother has been trying to talk me into it and it seems like the one sport where a beer belly might actually be an advantage :p

Bit worried that the crashing and bashing at weird angles might **** up my knees though.

Saints? Who cares if the bashing and crashing *s up your knees, it's a hell of a lot of fun! My ankle is permanently screwed, but I still play ;)

Saints? Who cares if the bashing and crashing ****s up your knees, it's a hell of a lot of fun! My ankle is permanently screwed, but I still play ;)

It looks like so much fun, that's why I'm tempted.

It's not getting hurt that I'm worried about, it's the fact that my knees are so bad I'd be worried about letting the team down if they suddenly collapsed under me. Especially in a game like American football - I'd hate for my QB to get creamed because I couldn't stand up in a scrimmage wrestle.

If I do ending up joining I'll let you know - we can put bounties on each other's heads in true NFL style ;)

What's your body shape? Height/weight?

178cm, 85kg.

Pretty top heavy in chest/shoulders with skinny legs though. (Maybe a Mzungu shape if I had to compare it to an AFL player - if Tendai drank a carton of beer every weekend :p)

Very little chance you'll be playing as a lineman with those measurements, so no need to worry about letting down your team at the line of scrimmage! Get working on those legs, man! I've got pretty skinny legs, but I like to think that I can generate a fair amount of power through them.

Very little chance you'll be playing as a lineman with those measurements, so no need to worry about letting down your team at the line of scrimmage!

Wasn't sure what the range of body types were like in the Perth comp - thought it might have been like some Aussie rules leagues where some poor 185cm dude gets stuck rucking for lack of better options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back