General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Dhoni set up a security force to be outside his house during the game.....the girlfriend is copping a lot of flack as well. She jinxed them, shouldn't have been there, won when not there, loses when she turns up etc etc etc...

India doesn't handle defeat very well it seems.

Interesting listening to Brown on Open Mike crediting physicality/sledging being one of the reasons that made the Lions so great, particularly in light of the criticism for Brad Haddin following the World Cup final. Dare say the great Australian cricket teams would also recognise mental disintegration as a catalyst of their success. It doesn't always look great but it's definitely a recurring theme among championship teams.

Interested to see how this Friday night pans out. Big Friday night in Melbourne with the Melbourne Derby prelim final in the A-League and Pies vs Cats at the G!

Interested to see how this Friday night pans out. Big Friday night in Melbourne with the Melbourne Derby prelim final in the A-League and Pies vs Cats at the G!

Yeah, I was kind of hoping someone other than City won through so I could go to both.

But I'm stoked about heading to the first Melbourne derby in the finals series. It'll be a fantastic atmosphere.

It might be something of a letdown to turn up again two days later for an AFL game between 17th v 18th.

As a neutral just hoping for a cracking contest. Suspect the difference will end up being Berisha who delivered consistently in big finals games for us (still wished we could have kept him:cry:). Syd vs MV final would be fantastic for the comp but have a feeling Adelaide might cause the upset.

As a neutral just hoping for a cracking contest. Suspect the difference will end up being Berisha who delivered consistently in big finals games for us (still wished we could have kept him:cry:). Syd vs MV final would be fantastic for the comp but have a feeling Adelaide might cause the upset.

Yeah, Adelaide looked bloody good last week, and Sydney have an ordinary home record.

Seeing as MV have played two GFs against Adelaide for two wins, that matchup would suit me just fine.

With Tim Sherwood helping me fall back in love with Villa by producing the most attractive football we have played since Brian Little was our manager in the mid-90s using the same players that have looked so poor for the last two seasons. I thought all along that individual players had displayed quality enough that should never seen them fighting to stay in the Premier League for the last few seasons, but it's good to see that when given a bit of freedom to express themselves a team can transform very quickly.

Hopefully the Lions can do something similar without needing the change in coaching staff.

With Tim Sherwood helping me fall back in love with Villa by producing the most attractive football we have played since Brian Little was our manager in the mid-90s using the same players that have looked so poor for the last two seasons. I thought all along that individual players had displayed quality enough that should never seen them fighting to stay in the Premier League for the last few seasons, but it's good to see that when given a bit of freedom to express themselves a team can transform very quickly.

Hopefully the Lions can do something similar without needing the change in coaching staff.

Can't wait for May 30, I'd love to stick it up those smug campaigners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So excited about Kyrios beating Federer....but by god, someone needs to tell him to pull his head in or else we have the next McEnroe. His tantrums and language are fast losing him fans..

Perhaps we could get Leppa to have a "word" to him;)

So excited about Kyrios beating Federer....but by god, someone needs to tell him to pull his head in or else we have the next McEnroe. His tantrums and language are fast losing him fans..

Perhaps we could get Leppa to have a "word" to him;)
Think he has already lost me. Great to see real Australian talent but he is turning into an absolute campaigner

http://www.news.com.au/national/pau...league-is-played/story-e6frfkp9-1227380230376

I found this a thoroughly interesting article. Would be interesting to see if there are any metrics in the AFL that are a basis for gameplans and are as misunderstood. Off the top of my head I would say from a viewer point of view that clearances are highly overrated in our game IMO given the actual measure for them. Suns are second for clearances in the AFL at the moment. There's plenty of clearances out there that just aren't actually affective in any way.

http://www.news.com.au/national/pau...league-is-played/story-e6frfkp9-1227380230376

I found this a thoroughly interesting article. Would be interesting to see if there are any metrics in the AFL that are a basis for gameplans and are as misunderstood. Off the top of my head I would say from a viewer point of view that clearances are highly overrated in our game IMO given the actual measure for them. Suns are second for clearances in the AFL at the moment. There's plenty of clearances out there that just aren't actually affective in any way.

Sounds very similar to Chip Kelly's work with American football, first with Oregon (university team) and now with the Philadelphia Eagles (NFL). In his case it was identifying the more plays that are run by the offense the higher the chance of winning, so he runs very quick offensive play calls amongst other strategies. This worked by both only good things happening when you've got the ball (you can score, opposition can't) but also wearing out opposition defences.

In this case they're again looking at tiring defences. Could it translate to AFL? Well, time in possession is definitely a highly regarded stat already and there's a lot of focus on not turning the ball over. We, as a sport, might be ahead of the curve a little here.

Sounds very similar to Chip Kelly's work with American football, first with Oregon (university team) and now with the Philadelphia Eagles (NFL). In his case it was identifying the more plays that are run by the offense the higher the chance of winning, so he runs very quick offensive play calls amongst other strategies. This worked by both only good things happening when you've got the ball (you can score, opposition can't) but also wearing out opposition defences.

In this case they're again looking at tiring defences. Could it translate to AFL? Well, time in possession is definitely a highly regarded stat already and there's a lot of focus on not turning the ball over. We, as a sport, might be ahead of the curve a little here.

Absolutely, you can see the affect of turnovers and time spent trying to defend in football, we're a perfect example of that. When we don't turn it over we look like a million dollars, but as soon as that breaks down we're constantly defending. Still possession aside I do wonder whether the next decade will see something that was previously discarded as a key to winning suddenly emerge.

I saw one of their games on tv a while ago. It was interesting to say the least. I think they ended up losing to Burleigh that day, but I was amazed that what they were doing actually worked some of the time. The NRL would certainly be more interesting if more of that sort of thing went on.

Barcelona would have to be the biggest success story for that sort of thinking. It didn't last forever, but they were almost unbeatable for a while there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back