General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that you could say this 10-15 years ago but I don't think so these days, the permanent population of the coast should be more than enough to sustain teams. The demographic angle is an interesting one, not sure on the age makeup of the coast. I certainly think poor or difficult access to stadiums certainly hurts them as does the lack of density on the coast. Neither of the stadiums are terribly easy to get to via public transport and neither have easy parking. I tend to think they've tried to go down the Australian way of stadium access with Public transport, but the GC isn't structured well enough that way. I tend to think they need to go down the American route of providing a lot of parking to make it easy for people to get to the game.
I think while it's true(ish) there is still a huge population of short termers (not tourists), young tradies and people living there for the experience but don't necessarily stay forever. Also, like the Sunshine Coast, a lot of the residents have moved there as opposed to grew up there. That means they already have a team before they arrive. I think demographics like this have a big impact.
I remember working on the Sunny Coast, albeit 15 years ago, every second customer was a Victorian. I suspect the Gold Coast has more 'immigrants'.

Don't know about anyone else, but I've really enjoyed watching the smaller cricket countries play in this world cup.

They've been more interesting than most of the non-minnow games.

Agree re the minnows. Today's game was especially good. Scotland looked in trouble early but posted 200+ score. Afghanistan collapsed early also and looked gone. Then an awesome innings from Shenwari who got out on 96 to leave them 9 down with 20 runs to get from 20 balls. He was so distraught when he got out.. left the field and was on the sideline with all his gear on willing the final pair to the target. An almost run out in last over but the last wicket partnership got there with 3 balls to spare. The relief, excitement and tension was awesome.

I have been very critical of ODIs in the past few years, but the world cup has been awesome so far. Just shows that context, and actually playing for something of meaning is critical for sport. All the pointless ODIs, tri-series just dont cut it.

Just watching Mike and Mike...

Now I am a Jets fan, so probably shouldn't have laughed at all of the Jets Jokes they were replaying..

__________________________________________________________________________________

Why is it good to date a girl who is a Jets Fan? Because she is not expecting a ring anytime soon

Did you hear about the new Jets aftershave?? You put it on and the guy standing opposite you it certain to score

Why can't Geno use his phone anymore?? Because he can't find a receiver.

Elton John has just changed the title of his song to Benny and the Mets

Did you hear Michael Vick couldn't get into his home the other day... Someone put an end zone in front of it...

A Drunk a Priest and a Rabbi walk into a bar and a Jets game is on... They walk out...

Didn't the ARU suspend Wendell for similar??

I'm not sure of the facts, but he was using cocaine as well wasn't he??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Karmichael Hunt pleads guilty to downgraded charges - 4 counts of cocaine possession.

What he makes is irrelevant. The penalty (possession and not supplying) is consistent with similar cases involving the regular Joe Blows of the world.

What he makes is irrelevant. The penalty (possession and not supplying) is consistent with similar cases involving the regular Joe Blows of the world.

Plot twist: It wasn't my tweet. ;) Was just the first one I found mentioning his fine.

That said, I think there is a good case to be made for fines being indexed somehow on income.

Plot twist: It wasn't my tweet. ;) Was just the first one I found mentioning his fine.

That said, I think there is a good case to be made for fines being indexed somehow on income.

Don't the Swiss do it for traffic infringements?

What I know about criminal law can be written on a postage stamp but my gut feel is some magistrates will do this anyway. I've heard of a few cases over the years where the capacity to pay seems to affect the size of the fine.

I don't think this is cricket I'm watching but, whatever it is, Maxwell is good at it.

He's certainly something to see live. Flew down for the game last night, glad I did. The amount of Sri Lankan fans was insane. Instead of a supporters bay they had a supporters stand being the whole Bill O'Reilly stand.

The best part of the trip was seeing the whole SCG members area. For world cups its a blank stadium so no members or non member section. Got to have a drink in the heritage listed members stand right next to the Australian and Sri Lankan dressing rooms and then also got to walk round the new stand at the SCG. My goodness its impressive. The food options in there put the gabba to shame and that's before you get to the fact they have a matilda bay microbrewery in there! Although unfortunately for the WC it was only Carlton Mid on tap. You could certainly see the old SCG members in the members stand bar looking around bewildered as people walked through there with thongs and singlets on. I'm surprised one old duck didn't have a heart attack!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back