GFL GFL - 2011 PRE season !

Remove this Banner Ad

I think so mate, 2 of them were pictured in the addy during the week and I believe they've played at Katandra where the Riordans are from.

Picola League footy if they're from Katandra... not a bad standard... but usually a resting place for former Goulburn Valley and Murray league stars wanting coin to end careers. Standard = GDFL so don't expect world beaters.

Trying to pick a wooden spooner now is impossible.

Well its not official yet so I didnt mention it. Not sure what mates your talking bout tho? First ive heard of it?

Hope he does make it official Tim, its time to come home to the den. I reckon it will be great to see him and our other youngsters getting a crack through the midfield with Wally and Gleeso gone. Some of these kids will be the nucleus of the club for the next 4 to 5 years.

New coach has been terrific, players love him already, good to see them with smiles on their faces. The boys are training hard and one ex Torquay boy absolutely rippin it up at training so far. About as fit as anyone going around.

Go Tiges.:)

Tim,
Can you explain why the locals boys (baars, Wally, Gleeso, Colby,Chafer, Eddy)are all leaving? does the committee run the club or is it a select few up there with all the power to make the decisions?

I think that a captain departing might be a big loss. You lose a great starting on-baller, and obviously the person spearheading the culture change at the club!
I hope they manage to pick up some handy players, as they seem to be working very hard to turn things around! Definately wont finish bottom!

Picola League footy if they're from Katandra... not a bad standard... but usually a resting place for former Goulburn Valley and Murray league stars wanting coin to end careers. Standard = GDFL so don't expect world beaters.

Trying to pick a wooden spooner now is impossible.

What are there names i coach in the same leauge might be able to shed some light on the players they got???? picola would be down two levels from gfl!! same as gvfl and one rung down from murray leauge? Also how are st josheps shaping up so far in pre season with robbo? D.Lovick be a big loss when he plays geelong vfl!! His brother might have to stand up and cover for him :cool:

I think that a captain departing might be a big loss. You lose a great starting on-baller, and obviously the person spearheading the culture change at the club!
I hope they manage to pick up some handy players, as they seem to be working very hard to turn things around! Definately wont finish bottom!

Wayne Barrett not returning to grovedale, needs shoulder reco and will miss the entire 2011 season. Ben raidme will play at bell park if not required by Geelong VFL. Hopefully Grovedale can pull something out of the hat with regards to recruiting top line players for next year.

seen SANTA last night hovering around burdoo oval.think he delivered a wooden spoon to them for xmas

Wayne Barrett not returning to grovedale, needs shoulder reco and will miss the entire 2011 season. Ben raidme will play at bell park if not required by Geelong VFL. Hopefully Grovedale can pull something out of the hat with regards to recruiting top line players for next year.

Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on this site.

Tim,
Can you explain why the locals boys (baars, Wally, Gleeso, Colby,Chafer, Eddy)are all leaving? does the committee run the club or is it a select few up there with all the power to make the decisions?

Going by your user name your an ex Grovey player? So why dont you tell me why you left the club?? Colby left because he's coaching Drysdale, Gleeso left because he's an assistant to his brother in-law in Ballarat. Two others took the easy option an went to rival GFL clubs to play finals.

What are there names i coach in the same leauge might be able to shed some light on the players they got???? picola would be down two levels from gfl!! same as gvfl and one rung down from murray leauge? Also how are st josheps shaping up so far in pre season with robbo? D.Lovick be a big loss when he plays geelong vfl!! His brother might have to stand up and cover for him :cool:

Brendan and Justin Ross

Tim Finnigan..is Paul Waldron good enough to make it into the starting mid field at Bell park? Turns the ball over a bit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 teams, 8 comps, 2 grounds, 1 day- melbourne metros best of the best!

On Sunday March 6th this event will be broadcast live via SEN Radio 1116 AM.

8 of the premiership teams from 2010 around Melbourne have agreed to play in a 20/20 style competition for their chance to take out the prestigious trophy of becoming Melbourne metro footballs best of the best and win their club $5000 in prizes and money.

The event and day has been organised by Benjamin Charles from SPORT SUPPORT. Also helping promote and run the event is Matty Pillios (EDFL MEDIA HOST) along with various other high profile metropolitan footballers and current or ex AFL players.The day will start at 11am and games will be played at CT Barling Reserve located at Plenty Rd, Reservoir.

The 8 clubs representing their leagues are as follows:

NFL – West Preston F.C (Ran all over powerhouse Heidelberg F.C to take 2010 premiership coach and are known to be physical.)

VAFA – Old Carey F.C (Smashed the VAFA B section comp in 2010 and now in A section will represent VAFA. Have picked up close to 8 quality players for season 2011. Old Xavs F.C declined to participate.)

GFL – South Barwon F.C (One of the favourites from a powerhouse comp. Will be at full strength and have the entire town of Geelong behind them.)

EDFL – Marby Park F.C (Back to back premiers will try and stamp its name as the strongest metro football team in the country boasting a ton of talent.)

EFL – Mulgrave F.C (Represent one of the strongest Melbourne comps and this year are in Div 1. Have recently recruited quality AFL & VFL players for season 2011. Noble Park F.C declined to participate.)

RDFL – Riddell F.C (Strong club with a massive following and will be keen to keep momentum from their 2010 premiership win.)

SFL – Clayton F.C (The club has been a powerhouse in Div 1 for a long time. Have recruited very strongly for 2011. St Kilda City F.C could not confirm.)

WRFL – Albion F.C (Stunned the WRFL winning the 2010 flag and with some new recruits will give it a shake. Coming from a comp with physical football.

EXTRA EVENTS

“Melbournes Fittest Footballer” (Vertical Leap, 20 Metre Sprints and Push Up Comp.)

“Grand Final Curtain Raiser” (60 Person Beep Test between any local registered footballer.)

Should be a cracker of a day! What are everyones thoughts and feedback on it?

Re: 8 teams, 8 comps, 2 grounds, 1 day- melbourne metros best of the best!

8 of the premiership teams from 2010 around Melbourne have agreed to play in a 20/20 style competition for their chance to take out the prestigious trophy of becoming Melbourne metro footballs best of the best and win their club $5000 in prizes and money.

Organised by local footy guru Matty Pillios (EDFL MEDIA HOST) and Benjamin Charles (SPORTS SUPPORT). The day will start at 11am and games will be played at CT Barling Reserve located at Plenty Rd, Reservoir.

NFL – West Preston F.C (Ran all over powerhouse Heidelberg F.C to take 2010 premiership coach and are known to be physical.)

VAFA – Old Carey F.C (Smashed the VAFA B section comp in 2010 and now in A section will represent VAFA. Have picked up close to 8 quality players for season 2011. Old Xavs F.C declined to participate.)

GFL – South Barwon F.C (One of the favourites from a powerhouse comp. Will be at full strength and have the entire town of Geelong behind them.)

EDFL – Marby Park F.C (Back to back premiers will try and stamp its name as the strongest metro football team in the country boasting a ton of talent.)

EFL – Mulgrave F.C (Represent one of the strongest Melbourne comps and this year are in Div 1. Have recently recruited quality AFL & VFL players for season 2011. Noble Park F.C declined to participate.)

RDFL – Riddell F.C (Strong club with a massive following and will be keen to keep momentum from their 2010 premiership win.)

SFL – Clayton F.C (The club has been a powerhouse in Div 1 for a long time. Have recruited very strongly for 2011. St Kilda City F.C could not confirm.)

WRFL – Albion F.C (Stunned the WRFL winning the 2010 flag and with some new recruits will give it a shake. Coming from a comp with physical football.

EXTRA EVENTS

“Melbournes Fittest Footballer” (Vertical Leap, 20 Metre Sprints and Push Up Comp.)

“Grand Final Curtain Raiser” (60 Person Beep Test between any local registered footballer.)

Sounds like a pretty good day, though it wont prove which leagues better etc. Would expect Marby Park, Old Carey and South Barwon to be a bit stronger than the rest..

Also not to sure about the whole of Geelong being behind South.. I wont be behind them..

Sounds good. C'mon Timmy its only for 1 day mate. Go Sth ! :thumbsu:
So how is this gonna work ? How long does a game go for ? Surely there is not enough time for each team to play everyone in the 1 day ? If not how will they be grouped ?

Sounds good. C'mon Timmy its only for 1 day mate. Go Sth ! :thumbsu:
So how is this gonna work ? How long does a game go for ? Surely there is not enough time for each team to play everyone in the 1 day ? If not how will they be grouped ?
Obviously a lightning premiership of some kind. How they have set it up, i have no idea.

The event and day has been organised by Benjamin Charles from SPORT SUPPORT. Also helping promote and run the event is Matty Pillios (EDFL MEDIA HOST) along with various other high profile metropolitan footballers and current or ex AFL players.The day will start at 11am and games will be played at CT Barling Reserve located at Plenty Rd, Reservoir.

EXTRA EVENTS

While this competition is a good idea, the gulf between the strong teams of the VAFA, GFL, EFL, EDFL & to a lesser extent the NFL and the representatives of the other leagues is too great. The only saving grace is that the short length of the games may allow some closing of the talent gap with teams getting the 'jump' on other teams.

My evidence is this:

West Preston lost by 80 points to StMary's in a practice match in 2010, and despite the NFL getting stronger they are nowhere near the strong standard of other leagues in Melbourne such as the EFL, EDFL and VAFA. Ex-Kangaroo Shannon Watt played for them last season.

Clayton from the SFL will be anchoring this competition, they were a Division 2 team in the SFL last season and the SFL Division 1 is around the same standard as the top GDFL teams or mid table BFL teams.

Riddell FC will also be close to the bottom as the RDFL is on a par with the SFL Divisions 1 & 2.

Mulgrave & Old Carey are also newly promoted teams like Clayton and while the EFL and VAFA are much stronger leagues, both clubs are expected to finish mid table in their respected leagues. They will definitely challenge but they are not as strong as painted here, probably mid table GFL.

Marby park will definitely be a strong contender along with South Barwon and I have no information of Albion Park but the WRFL is not a particularly strong league, I would assume them to be around the same mark as Riddell F.C

How do we expect South to go after losing Stavenuiter, Mckee, Backwell and Verfurth, not sure if they lost anyone else. But seems to be an important part of the team gone.

Where are West Saints at? Recruits? Is there any potential from reserves premiership? Juniors coming through? Is the werribee connection finally finished and will this actually influence them much at all?

Where are West Saints at? Recruits? Is there any potential from reserves premiership? Juniors coming through? Is the werribee connection finally finished and will this actually influence them much at all?

Any news on recriuts out Lara way????

While this competition is a good idea, the gulf between the strong teams of the VAFA, GFL, EFL, EDFL & to a lesser extent the NFL and the representatives of the other leagues is too great. The only saving grace is that the short length of the games may allow some closing of the talent gap with teams getting the 'jump' on other teams.

My evidence is this:

West Preston lost by 80 points to StMary's in a practice match in 2010, and despite the NFL getting stronger they are nowhere near the strong standard of other leagues in Melbourne such as the EFL, EDFL and VAFA. Ex-Kangaroo Shannon Watt played for them last season.

Clayton from the SFL will be anchoring this competition, they were a Division 2 team in the SFL last season and the SFL Division 1 is around the same standard as the top GDFL teams or mid table BFL teams.

Riddell FC will also be close to the bottom as the RDFL is on a par with the SFL Divisions 1 & 2.

Mulgrave & Old Carey are also newly promoted teams like Clayton and while the EFL and VAFA are much stronger leagues, both clubs are expected to finish mid table in their respected leagues. They will definitely challenge but they are not as strong as painted here, probably mid table GFL.

Marby park will definitely be a strong contender along with South Barwon and I have no information of Albion Park but the WRFL is not a particularly strong league, I would assume them to be around the same mark as Riddell F.C

Great feedback boys!

South Barwon FC should surely go down as one of the favorites along with powerhouse Marby Park FC and Old Carey FC.

From all reports Old Carey FC have picked up 8 - 10 quality players and are trying to do the massive job of Back to Back B to A Grade Flags in the VAFA.
Mulgrave FC also have picked up Luke Ablett and a handful of VFL players in the EFL after their Premiership win last year and will also be a finals contender in the EFL.

Who are some of the better players for Sth Barwon? Should be a cracker of a day and with SEN broadcasting live, great for all the players.

matt burn signed as ass coach at`leopold good news at the den

Souths barwon have good players across the park. Great ball winners through the midfield with sullivan and Tutungi. Then down back player like Luke Buckland who is one of the best defenders in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back