Play Nice Goal Umpire costs Adelaide a shot at finals, how do you stop it from happening again?

Should Adelaide appeal the result vs Sydney (poll reset with new option)

• Go to court if appeals are unsuccessfull

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Fox Footy replays just showed Ben Keays kick for goal in slow motion. There was a clear gap between the ball and the goal post every frame. Obviously this should have gone to a review and has caused a huge backlash.

Last edited:

That's what the review is there for. How this umpire was certain his decision was correct and review wasn't required should cost him his job. Afl should automatically review everything in last 5 minute of games. Additionally Adelaide should be awarded the win by afl and Sydney given a loss

Looked like a goal to me, need to see another angle though. At the very least should have been reviewed. Don’t all goals get reviewed automatically ?
All GOALS get automatically reviewed, not all behinds. There is 30 seconds before the centre bounce, so it's possible, but with behinds the game has to keep rolling. But that one definitely should've stopped the game for a review.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked like a goal to me, need to see another angle though. At the very least should have been reviewed. Don’t all goals get reviewed automatically ?
Funny

Clearly they don't, umpires worth a pinch of s**t would have pulled up the game and called a review

Adelaide won that game, it was a goal, typically s**t umpiring again

All GOALS get automatically reviewed, not all behinds. There is 30 seconds before the centre bounce, so it's possible, but with behinds the game has to keep rolling. But that one definitely should've stopped the game for a review.
Yer makes sense, I’d be fuming if I were an Adelaide supporter right now. No way the AFL will reverse the outcome of the game though.

Clear goal.

The opposite issue to last week, where there's no clear touch on replay but the goal umpire reviews and goes the minor call. Yes, I'm aware Carlton fans will come at me now with 'evidence' that the ball hit his forearm or thigh, which is funny because Marchbank said fingertips.

I was ropable at that, but this is actually worse. The decision was wrong. Clearly. If its so close that the guy has literally got it wrong, then either his eyes aren't up to the job, or he's made the active decision to not take it upstairs.

That was an absolute shocking decision.... To call that a point was an obvious mistake... But to then give it no review...

Every man and his dog could see it was a goal... And a review would have come to tha conclusion.

To have an entire season ended over a goal umpiring mistake in a day and age with review technology.. Atrocious

I would be livid if i was an adelaide fan.

The AFL owes an apology for that.

The Fox Footy replays just showed Ben Keayes kick for goal in slow motion. There was a clear gap between the ball and the goal post every frame. The ball was not even close to the padding. It was as clear of a goal as you could possibly get, and would have been declared a goal on review.

The goal umpire had different ideas. Insisted it was a point, and didn't even bother to review it, even though it was an extremely tight call at the end of a high stakes game.

How much longer will it be before goal umpires start getting held to account?

I think it's very hard to tell one way or the other, as different angles show different things and there is one angle that shows it right on the post - so could have had a slight deflection. With that said, should 100% have been a score review at that time of the game, and that would have at least allowed the Crows players to set up; as they were blindsided by the decision.

Really problematic scenario, IMO.

Back