Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Never oiled my irons before in my life. What irons does jr play? I have JPX 919 Tour and mine didn’t come with any instructions? Did he get MP20’s?

What would be the point? Id think youd want to maintain friction in the grooves?
It would wear off pretty quick where the ball is making contact with the clubface I am guessing. It might stay though, deep in the corner of the grooves, where dirt might get trapped and rust starts forming. Just a guess.

This is the thing for me with fittings Scrap and why I'm still hesitant to commit. For an amatuer learning and changing their swing, it's very possible that the swing might change day to day or week to week, including fairly big variations in club path and speed. I know on different days I've seen my iron swing vary from high 60s to low 90s.

I guess that's why you pay for the good fitters because you hope they can work around this.
Juss, you really need to not worry about it too much. Don't get too worried that they will not be the very best fit for you, but have in mind that they will be heaps better than your off the rack cheapies. Then....in 5 or so years when you are heaps better, lower handicap, and more consistent, go again. That's when they really will dial them in for you.

Remember at Oakleigh you grabbed my 8 on that 7th hole, and flushed it....that one shot told me you need to upgrade...even with wrong shaft length, lie angle and probably shaft flex. You play way too much golf now and deserve a nice set of irons.

Juss, you really need to not worry about it too much. Don't get too worried that they will not be the very best fit for you, but have in mind that they will be heaps better than your off the rack cheapies. Then....in 5 or so years when you are heaps better, lower handicap, and more consistent, go again. That's when they really will dial them in for you.

Remember at Oakleigh you grabbed my 8 on that 7th hole, and flushed it....that one shot told me you need to upgrade...even with wrong shaft length, lie angle and probably shaft flex. You play way too much golf now and deserve a nice set of irons.
Cheap off the rack? Tell me where? Buying new nowadays is bloody expensive.

It’s mind boggling a driver plus upgrade shaft is over $1,000 irons $2,000 wedges $250 a piece, putters $400+

Looking at $5k for a new bag of clubs 🤯

It’s mind boggling a driver plus upgrade shaft is over $1,000 irons $2,000 wedges $250 a piece, putters $400+

I think he is using a set that cost around $400 all up. He is just looking at irons at this point. And yes they are very expensive nowadays.

3-Wood $500, Driving Iron $350-400

Upwards of $6k...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can easily be done cheaper if you stay away from the big name brands or buy the previous model. (Hint, they are the same club)

The PGA tour is showing how big of an advantage distance gives you in golf.
A big reason Tiger won so often was his length. Coming in with shorter clubs means approaches landing closer which means more putts getting holed and better scores.
Would you rather hit a 5 iron from the fairway or a 9 iron from the rough?
Strokes gained stats show us the 9 is better almost every time.
But if you're an 18+ handicap and you want top get to single figures, accuracy and short game will give you far more bang for your buck ( Practice time) than searching for extra distance will.
You're completely right with regards to the tour, you need to be absolutely on top of your game in all facets.
I do believe that people get carried away with the influence of distance. 12 months ago commentators were fearing that the rules of the game were needed to change to stop the seemingly inevitable domination of DeChambeau due to his ability to monster a course. To date that domination hasn't happened.

But if you're an 18+ handicap and you want top get to single figures, accuracy and short game will give you far more bang for your buck ( Practice time) than searching for extra distance will.
You're completely right with regards to the tour, you need to be absolutely on top of your game in all facets.
I do believe that people get carried away with the influence of distance. 12 months ago commentators were fearing that the rules of the game were needed to change to stop the seemingly inevitable domination of DeChambeau due to his ability to monster a course. To date that domination hasn't happened.
It is probably a case by case situation for the handicap golfer based on the wide variations of their skill sets. The fact is 18+ handicap golfers lose strokes all over the board and coaching + practice in any facet of golf will result in big gains.
The importance of length is also determined by the courses somebody plays. Most public and members courses put a higher premium on accuracy compared to the ridiculous courses the tour guys play where distance becomes the priority.

I probably do need to upgrade.

I started with the Strata 14 piece package set. Its one of those bulk beginner packages, which I think is great for beginners to get into the game.

For $400 I got a stand bag, driver, 3 wood, 4/5H, 6-SWi and a putter.

Obviously the tech is low, but I would recommend it to beginners who arent sure if they will like the game. That's what I was when I bought it. Its been amazing value, I'm still playing a lot of the clubs now, have only upgraded my putter, wedges and driver (all just bought off the rack). The standbag alone is perfectly functional and decent quality, it just doesn't have a fancy brand on it.

While the irons definitely can do with an upgrade, they are very playable and a better golfer could still score well with them.

I probably do need to upgrade.

I started with the Strata 14 piece package set. Its one of those bulk beginner packages, which I think is great for beginners to get into the game.

For $400 I got a stand bag, driver, 3 wood, 4/5H, 6-SWi and a putter.

Obviously the tech is low, but I would recommend it to beginners who aren't sure if they will like the game. That's what I was when I bought it. Its been amazing value, I'm still playing a lot of the clubs now, have only upgraded my putter, wedges and driver (all just bought off the rack). The standbag alone is perfectly functional and decent quality, it just doesn't have a fancy brand on it.

While the irons definitely can do with an upgrade, they are very playable and a better golfer could still score well with them.

Like most sports tech advancements in golf are a joke and its all simply marketing. They are already so close to USGA requirements that new gear is BARELY an improvement year to year.

The average hacker on this forum will not notice any drastic difference between a 2010 set of clubs to a 2020 set of clubs and considering the 2010 set of clubs is probably 1/10 the price you'd be nuts not to start out there and upgrade as you go along.

Unless you have stupid amounts of cash my advice to any person getting into golf, well actually any person that plays golf is to get older cheaper gear and spend $$$ on lessons with a good teaching pro, the benefits to your golf game will be FAR beyond that of just rocking new gear, more people are going to be impressed with your handicap than your new clubs.

Like most sports tech advancements in golf are a joke and its all simply marketing. They are already so close to USGA requirements that new gear is BARELY an improvement year to year.

The average hacker on this forum will not notice any drastic difference between a 2010 set of clubs to a 2020 set of clubs and considering the 2010 set of clubs is probably 1/10 the price you'd be nuts not to start out there and upgrade as you go along.

Unless you have stupid amounts of cash my advice to any person getting into golf, well actually any person that plays golf is to get older cheaper gear and spend $$$ on lessons with a good teaching pro, the benefits to your golf game will be FAR beyond that of just rocking new gear, more people are going to be impressed with your handicap than your new clubs.
While that's fair, the clubs I'm using are a set that is $400 total for brand new stand bag, driver, 3 wood, 4/5H, 6-SWi and a putter. It was a playable beginner set, and gives you everything you need to get going other than balls, so I'd definitely recommend it. $400 for all that new is great value.

There's a point where $ quality comes into it, and certainly there's going to be benefits between what I'm using and a new set of whatevers from the golf brands.

While that's fair, the clubs I'm using are a set that is $400 total for brand new stand bag, driver, 3 wood, 4/5H, 6-SWi and a putter. It was a playable beginner set, and gives you everything you need to get going other than balls, so I'd definitely recommend it. $400 for all that new is great value.

There's a point where $ quality comes into it, and certainly there's going to be benefits between what I'm using and a new set of whatevers from the golf brands.
Perfect ‘next step’ irons.

Perfect ‘next step’ irons.
I had previously purchased an Odyssey Putter, a Cleveland Putter and a Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid online without testing them and ended up selling them all because they dont suit my swing.

I know there's a heap of good deals online for second hand clubs but personally I will never again buy a club without testing it even if that testing is only indoors on the sim.

I had previously purchased an Odyssey Putter, a Cleveland Putter and a Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid online without testing them and ended up selling them all because they dont suit my swing.

I know there's a heap of good deals online for second hand clubs but personally I will never again buy a club without testing it even if that testing is only indoors on the sim.

yep that's the way to go.

I have seen blokes at my local club buy the latest TM driver for 800 bucks on release just to slice it in to the woods, then this old timer playing a 20 year old driver (probably worth $50) pipes it down the middle.

marketing & ego fools a lot of people.

I have stupid amounts of cash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back