• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• Lachlan Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Odd, isn't it, especially when we have one of the Comp's best tacklers in Laird? Who else, Dawson? Sloane when he gets on his bike?
From memory, Berry was a tackling machine too, but that seems to have dropped off.

Tackling is one of the best measures of player intent and pressure. The Crows need to lift :shoutyoldman:. <== when I typed that, I thought to myself ruefully "In so many areas --- goalkicking, general kicking skills, awareness, polish, two-way running etc" :(

smothers are a great indicator too.

Ugly:
Did anyone else notice this clearance...Classic Alpha vs Beta stuff.
Note starting positions of players, Crows kicking to the left.
Bruhn on Laird at 12, Danger on Dawson at 2 - Danger is a right footer and Blicavs/Duncan? on Rachele at 6.
O'Brien at 6 and Ceglar at 9.
View attachment 1681984

Ceglar with the quick step in. Bruhn and Blicavs block the lightweights. Danger pushes off Dawson.
There is only one winner in this contest unless O'Brien can perform a miracle and some how get it toward the umpire.
View attachment 1681985

View attachment 1681988

Laird picked up what was going on but the bull has already kicked open the gate and charged off forward.
View attachment 1681989

No amount of connection could stop that. Other than O'Brien pushing Ceglar into Dangers path.
View attachment 1681990
Rachelle with the front row seat.

The qn is: how did the Crows expect to win clearance with that setup?
They would do well to look at the tape and map what the Cats did to them.
Because that one was genuinely horrible.

This is my pet hate about the Crows midfielders at centre bounces. Dangerfield is already moving before the tap, Dawson is reacting. De Goey did it to us last week, Cripps normally does it, so does the Bott, Oliver, Petracca etc...actually pretty much every big midfielder. But the key is they are on the move before the ball is tapped and use their size and strength to create space.

We haven't had this since, well, Dangerfield.

Our midfielders are typically stagnant at the bounce, playing their opponent tight but lose out quickly if they accelerate through the centre circle.

You could fight fire with fire here and have one of ours run to the same spot as the tap is anticipated. You could also have ROB knock the ball clear of the immediate congestion too.

This is my pet hate about the Crows midfielders at centre bounces. Dangerfield is already moving before the tap, Dawson is reacting. De Goey did it to us last week, Cripps normally does it, so does the Bott, Oliver, Petracca etc...actually pretty much every big midfielder. But the key is they are on the move before the ball is tapped and use their size and strength to create space.

We haven't had this since, well, Dangerfield.

Our midfielders are typically stagnant at the bounce, playing their opponent tight but lose out quickly if they accelerate through the centre circle.

You could fight fire with fire here and have one of ours run to the same spot as the tap is anticipated. You could also have ROB knock the ball clear of the immediate congestion too.
It's so frustrating isn't it.

Yeah, love it when our blokes get a good smother in. It can a momentum-changer at best when it's on the last kick before an I50 when the oppo is streaming forward. At worst it's just a great block.
It can be quite dangerous too. Get it wrong you get a ball or boot to the face or a dislocated finger.

Off the top of my head, Jones/Rachele/Pedlar/Murphy do it well. There was a game where even Keays got a smother in our F50, the ball spilled out to another Crow and Keays had run into good position for a goal. Carlton game?

it seems a constant issue with all our midfield, stand too far back from the contest and concede front position.
It's exactly the same for ROB at boundary throw in, always standing too far back
You would think it would be obvious and an easy thing to fix but it happens every week
It has to be a coached thing. I can’t recall TT trying to get front position in any ruck contest. To the point I yell at the tv for him to take front spot.

The elimination of the third man up and rucks first touch probably has something to do with it.
I would have thought the 3rd man up rule would make this happen less?

Ruckmen not sitting ducks standing under the footy anymore

It's as though teams have decided the No 1 thing they don't want is for the ball to go over the back of the ruckmen, because it opens up the field and is harder to defend.

So they just keep it in front of the ruckmen at all costs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just thinking about the coaches votes. It just strikes me as there being something fundamentally wrong with an opposition key defender getting best on ground.

It is the one position that you should be able to nullify dominance in after you’ve identified the problem.

Nicks should give himself an uppercut. And then get off the floor and give Tex and Fog one too.

Edit: and Rahilly too

Just thinking about the coaches votes. It just strikes me as there being something fundamentally wrong with an opposition key defender getting best on ground.

It is the one position that you should be able to nullify dominance in after you’ve identified the problem.

Nicks should give himself an uppercut. And then get off the floor and give Tex and Fog one too.

Two weeks in a row too.

Good: Intensity, defence and high pressure. Pushing 2 very good sides to the limit with strong chances of winning the last 2 weeks.

Bad: Geelongs intensity, defence and high pressure + class moving the football forward

Ugly: Just everything about playing down there, they have been a strong side for the best part of 20 years and their only weak year (2006) we didn't go down there. Walkers game was the worst 3 goal game I have ever seen.

Everyone can see we are getting there; we are progressing nicely as a side..... but geez we left a big hole in our side with Lynch going and Seedsman essentially retired.

The frustration of players marking at half back and standing there, not going long down the line, waiting 15 seconds and then going long down the line and being outmarked makes you want to jump the fence and shake them, as soon as we went fast and took risks we opened them up instead of trying to dump it on Walker/Fogartys head at half forward.

That’s blatantly not true. There have been 2 games where his output dropped off significantly in the second half, the Giants game when all our players didn’t touch it. The Hawks game where he didn’t get a possession in the third but recorded 5 in the last.

The other games he either had bigger second halves or the difference was negligible.

Check the stats if you don’t believe me.

So in his last 3 games

Hawks - 0 disposals 3rd quarter (spent a chunk of time on the bench), 5 in last

Collingwood - 2 disposals last quarter , didn’t rest substantially in 3rd and had a good one of 6 disposals

Geelong - 1 disposal last quarter , didn’t really rest in 3rd and got 3 touches (quiet game overall playing deeper forward)

So back to my blatantly untrue statement

He rested most of the 3rd against the Hawks and had a good last quarter but literally nothing in the 3rd
Since then last two weeks he has had 2 and 1 disposals.

The stats support you assertion strongly!!

There is no doubt Rach can only get through about 3 quarters of a game at the moment which is why he was managed against Geelong and Rankine/Murphy picked up their involvement.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just thinking about the coaches votes. It just strikes me as there being something fundamentally wrong with Nicks, when an opposition key defender getting best on ground.
Ftfy

... and the mugs who bombed the ball into Ratugolea, who is better than Aliir at intercepting and that's saying something!

So in his last 3 games

Hawks - 0 disposals 3rd quarter (spent a chunk of time on the bench), 5 in last

Collingwood - 2 disposals last quarter , didn’t rest substantially in 3rd and had a good one of 6 disposals

Geelong - 1 disposal last quarter , didn’t really rest in 3rd and got 3 touches (quiet game overall playing deeper forward)

So back to my blatantly untrue statement

He rested most of the 3rd against the Hawks and had a good last quarter but literally nothing in the 3rd
Since then last two weeks he has had 2 and 1 disposals.

The stats support you assertion strongly!!

There is no doubt Rach can only get through about 3 quarters of a game at the moment which is why he was managed against Geelong and Rankine/Murphy picked up their involvement.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You said Rachelles first and second halves this year have been chalk and cheese, that’s categorically not true. All year is more than the 3 weeks you are focussing on.

Sure he was rested in the third but finished strong against Hawks.

Against Collingwood, 6 disposals in the third. 2 in the last. That’s consistent with pretty much all our players who weren’t playing in defence, in particular our mids. Laird had 2 touches, Jones 3, Sloane 4. Dawson played defence in the last. As a team we were flogged in the last.

From there we deducted Rachelle needed less midfield time? What about Laird? Counting 1 in the last against Geelong when he wasn’t playing midfield is clutching, as I showed above counting 2 against Collingwood.

Last edited:
Come on down Lachie Murphy

Elite smotherer

Agree re some drop off on our tackling compared to last year , Berry not there in full tackle mode prob the reason

Laird Dawson Sloane Jones Rankine Soligo tackle v well

Rankine’s pressure all round and ability to hunt down is really good , underrated I reckon

Rachele has had some great chase down tackles this year

Reckon our forward line needs to improve their tackling , bit of drop off last couple weeks

4 umpires has done nothing to improve the game.
Made it worse imo.

Greater inconsistency.

More non-decisions as not sure who is in control.

Ugly:
Did anyone else notice this clearance...Classic Alpha vs Beta stuff.
Note starting positions of players, Crows kicking to the left.
Bruhn on Laird at 12, Danger on Dawson at 2 - Danger is a right footer and Blicavs/Duncan? on Rachele at 6.
O'Brien at 6 and Ceglar at 9.
View attachment 1681984

Ceglar with the quick step in. Bruhn and Blicavs block the lightweights. Danger pushes off Dawson.
There is only one winner in this contest unless O'Brien can perform a miracle and some how get it toward the umpire.
View attachment 1681985

View attachment 1681988

Laird picked up what was going on but the bull has already kicked open the gate and charged off forward.
View attachment 1681989

No amount of connection could stop that. Other than O'Brien pushing Ceglar into Dangers path.
View attachment 1681990
Rachelle with the front row seat.

The qn is: how did the Crows expect to win clearance with that setup?
They would do well to look at the tape and map what the Cats did to them.
Because that one was genuinely horrible.
Our midfield set ups have been diabolical all year. What made me laugh the most against Geelong was that, when Paddy was in there, he seemed to be the only bloke who knew exactly where ROBs taps were going. ROB is that predictable. Yet VB seems to be incapable of setting us up for the two hit zones that ROB always hits. Drives me nuts.

Back