Bad
  • our inconsistency within games
  • Izak hammy
  • Sloane, the club will just keep playing him
  • Milera, biggest disappointment on our list

Ugly
- Izak’s injury

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes but its always Thilthorpe doing the bench time. This game Fogarty had 8 disposals with 94% ground time, Walker 9 disposals 86% game time, and Thilthorpe 11 disposals with 65%. Internally TT must be very frustrated or exceedingly patient.
Not always - just this week. Look at last week, it was game time in the 70s for Fogarty and Walker and 60s for Thilthorpe, and McAdam got subbed out.

I think they are still figuring it out.

I agree our mids need to be better.

If I am to attribute blame for these scenarios, it is 80% the mids way.

If Tex and Fog had better delivery it would be easier for them.

Just think forwards being more mobile can give us more chances from such poor chances.

The core problem we have is midfield. And specifically drafting quality mids. The last high calibre mid we have drafted is Geelong’s captain.

We do ok in developing mid range draft midfield talent. Sloane and Laird. Even Keays.

But elite talent is identified in the draft

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We prefer the Sloane types and will invest more time into these types.

We've created this situation ourselves and its a deliberate football philosophy that we've had for many years now.

Not sure if this will be controversial or not, and I have no idea if the stats back me up on this... but I don't think Jordan Dawson is an engine-room midfielder. I mean, he's good anywhere he plays of course, but I don't think he's particularly good when the ball is bobbling around. His hands are not great below his knees and he's not particularly explosive or quick. And his great kick is less effective when he has to dispose of the ball quickly.

He should be the guy just outside the clearance that we get the ball to, not the guy right at the coal face.

Not sure if this will be controversial or not, and I have no idea if the stats back me up on this... but I don't think Jordan Dawson is an engine-room midfielder. I mean, he's good anywhere he plays of course, but I don't think he's particularly good when the ball is bobbling around. His hands are not great below his knees and he's not particularly explosive or quick.

He should be the guy just outside the clearance that we get the ball to, not the guy right at the coal face.
That's why we need that second big bodied and preferably explosive player.

The lack of any of any real size in our midfield forces Dawson to play this role.

Not sure if this will be controversial or not, and I have no idea if the stats back me up on this... but I don't think Jordan Dawson is an engine-room midfielder. I mean, he's good anywhere he plays of course, but I don't think he's particularly good when the ball is bobbling around. His hands are not great below his knees and he's not particularly explosive or quick. And his great kick is less effective when he has to dispose of the ball quickly.

I wonder about this too

Agree. Rachele, Soligo, Pedlar and TBC top end talented midfielder should be the starting group supported by Dawson, Hinge, Jones, Rankine and possibly Bailey Williams.

Not sure if this will be controversial or not, and I have no idea if the stats back me up on this... but I don't think Jordan Dawson is an engine-room midfielder. I mean, he's good anywhere he plays of course, but I don't think he's particularly good when the ball is bobbling around. His hands are not great below his knees and he's not particularly explosive or quick.

You’re spot on and my center bounce attendance and clearance stats from the year that I posted last week, support this (he’s pretty much the lowest clearance rate of any)
He is the go to guy we give it to if we do get the clearance, not sure if we can get it out to him if he plays on a wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last play.

Fog engages in a wrestle. Milera not good enough to goal. So tries to hit up Fog who is one on one.

But if Fog moved forward a few metres as soon as he sees Milera free outside the arc, ie lead for the ball, he should mark. Or create a spillage

We probably win the game.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Was definitely the least likely of our forwards to win a 1 on 1

Should have kicked it literally anywhere else

I thought we played bloody well for most of that game, inaccuracy just kept us 2-3 goals behind until the last. Very promising heading into next season knowing that we can play well at the MCG against the best and can win these games with a bit more experience. I honestly think this squad look better at the MCG than when we were contending in 2015-2017.

So good to see Schoenberg play the best game of his career, Nankervis not look out of place and just not giving in until the final siren. Rankine loves the big stage of the MCG too, such a shame he’s done for the year and won’t get a home Showdown.

I have full faith we will start winning games like this as early as next year with a bit more experience under the belt and a recruitment or two over the off season.

Hss anyone seen Nicks' presser? Did he say anything bout the umpiring? I'd imagine not and that's why he isn't the man. We've been killed by them 4 out of the last 6 matches and he will not say a thing which means they know they can keep doing it with impunity.
Didn't mention it. Seemed in a pretty upbeat mood actually.

I think that's the role he is playing. The play they are going for in the midfield is something along the lines of Laird (or whoever) wins the ball and dishes it out to Dawson who breaks away from the contest.

For example looking at our two main mids, Laird has 113 clearances and 55 centre clearances for the year and Dawson has 66 and 26. That's despite a similar number of CBAs for the year. Dawson on the other hand is our team leader by miles for inside 50s.

But yeah Dawson is not a great inside mid in that sense. He has still been really good playing through the midfield, and given the way centre bounces are set up you sort of have to play him in there for him to have maximum impact.

McAdam is a far more effective forward than Murphy and McHenry. Cannot believe he was forced to come back through the SANFL
And Fogarty who is more his direct competition

As I’ve said before most of his possessions are from marks not from ground balls so he plays more like a tall forward I50 than a small forward

Today was no exception …. 8 of his 11 possessions were from marks

Do people remember that Sloane did an ACL last year and missed most of the season. He most probably should not be playing in the midfield during his recovery and in my opinion he would be better suited to half back/forward or wing.

He’d be heat suited to the SANFL. There’s half a dozen guys in the 2s that would give us more than him. He’s been good but he’s done.

Back