• Wayne Milera

• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• Taylor Walker

• Reilly O'Brien

• Jordon Butts

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought you guys battled hard considering Laird was N/A, could have gone either way.
Hence we are better than we think or you go troubles we had 6 changes (Cook Nank Hately first games this year) away played awful in 2 qtrs missed easy set shots Milera should have goaled you guys gonna need to improve a lot I feel good luck in that

The last play.

Fog engages in a wrestle. Milera not good enough to goal. So tries to hit up Fog who is one on one.

But if Fog moved forward a few metres as soon as he sees Milera free outside the arc, ie lead for the ball, he should mark. Or create a spillage

We probably win the game.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We've turned into St Kilda as a football club.

Maybe the next rebuild will include the midfield.

Agree with that.
This has been my biggest gripe for years with our fwd line. I use to watch young FOG get very frustrated as hed motion toward a play,to then just stop dead as Tex drifted over with no real urgency or Ned, Murph flailed back into the holes, screaming like wildmen for the ball.

Its a crap setup, but FOG has shown in the past 18 months that he can command it when he wants to.
Also Melbourne are the best defence in the comp.

I didn't watch much of the game, but the small bit I did I saw a couple of huge Sloane errors.

The first one we got a clean clearance, and he is streaming past and fumbles it.

Minutes later, he has the ball deep in defence and turns it over.

Terrible skill errors from an "experienced" player.

Sloane was excellent in the first quarter, but didn’t do much after that (opposite to recent weeks). Yes he made errors in that last quarter but he wasn’t on his own, and you can’t blame a loss on isolated incidents. It was a combination of poor goal kicking in first three quarters, shithouse umpiring, and when taking the game on in the last, a few errors.

Tex has never been a great leader to the ball. Never is Fog. Both more comfortable man on man.

The majority of our i50s are terrible. It goes with having one of the worst midfields in the comp

But...

Our best lead for the ball is McAdam. He created a few scoring chances meeting the ball, often from terrible delivery.

Rankine crumbed from his leads a few times.

All I am saying is that if Tex and Fog are more mobile, they make those bad I50s work better. Instead of sitting back often losing the wrestle contests

Mcadam is a great lead..

think two of his leads that were honoured, and delivered to him perfectly, came from Tex..

we need our mids to deliver to our forwards like fog, tex and TT do.

Oh, the irony that its our 3 tall forwards that are the best at delivering the ball into the forward 50!

That was a very Crows 2023 performance. Plenty to like, plenty to dislike, good enough to compete with quality sides but not good enough to finish off our work. It certainly beats the absolute misery of watching our 2020 performances, but it stings nonetheless.

The ins ranged from okay to very good. Schoenberg and Nankervis came in, played full games and looked like they belonged, Schoenberg in particular. Nankervis not even slightly overawed playing his debut match at the MCG, good signs! Both must keep their spots their week. Cook continues to be an "almost but not quite" kind of player, I'm less bullish on him than most here seem to be. Hately and Crouch are fine depth players but nothing more.

The umpiring in Q4 was absolutely inexcusable. The five minute patch after we drew level went beyond straight-up cheating and into parody territory. Royal commissions have been launched over less.

Butts must have been subbed off at least eight or nine times this season, right? Dude just can't seem to stay on the park for a whole game.

Rankine injury sucks, but at least it gives us a chance to see what else we've got in the cupboard. Although I guess it most likely just means McHenry will get his spot back.

I'm getting concerned about Thilthorpe. I know he's still young for a big man, but he is practically anonymous up forward, and in the midfield his defensive game is non-existent. Looks good on the wing when he can lead, mark and dispose, and his centre clearance ruckwork is passable, but that's about it. Needs a big preseason.

My mancrush on the big galoot Murray continues to grow :p I love that big lunk.

At least Walker managed to find four goals to keep his slight Coleman hopes alive.

Pedlar has had a great season, but looks like he is struggling at the moment. Could use a rest.

Hss anyone seen Nicks' presser? Did he say anything bout the umpiring? I'd imagine not and that's why he isn't the man. We've been killed by them 4 out of the last 6 matches and he will not say a thing which means they know they can keep doing it with impunity.

Good
Rankine, absolutely worth what we paid.
Murray, so much to like about him
Nank composed and useful on debut
Fightbacks late

Bad
Pedlar
Our midfield and kick in setups

Ugly
Couple of goal kicking howlers (both sides had these tho
Milera’s composure, decision-making and lack of strength

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s why you play your best performed sanfl midfielder in the 1s ! And he’s only ‘a kid’

Now just gotta back him in ( coaches and fickle supporters )

Lots of positives in that game , you just wonder whether we beat pies and dees with the same run of umps they got but it’s never going to happen

Really loved our defence Murray is a gun and im glad I backed him in from start but he’s exceeded , Worrell is a gun , hinge is great

Nank was superb and cook v good , much better than Sholl … lock Nank and cook in for rest of year

Rankine is an absolute star , rest up champion and get ready for next year and come out and kick 60 if you kick straight next year

Thought McAdam worked really hard and played v well , gotta just keep keays forward and not play him mid that was better

Off the Murphy train but don’t rate Mchenry any better so maybe we try Newchurch soon but likely recruit someone else

Matt crouch wasn’t as bad as as I was expecting , respect for that performance

Peds is cooked like Rachele , just needs a rest and another pre season . Those 2 are my breakout players for next year

Hope Murray hasn’t done his ACL , he’s just so good

The spirit hasn’t dropped off

It’s now up to recruiters to use trade and FA as much as possible over next 2 years , target then needs

Father / son Welsh will be handy too

The choice of Nicks to make that sub minutes from 3 qtr time was weird.

If he had held that decision he could have them subbed Murray out instead of Butts.

I reckon Hinge and to a lesser extent Dawson (both of whom I really like) are just a bit too fond of how hard and low they’re able to kick. It should only be used when needed but they seem to use it as the default and hence shank more than they should.

Hinge went at 81% disposal efficiency today, in a game where he had 19 kicks and 3 handballs. That's fantastic efficiency by anyone's measure.

Just had one really ugly shank.

Mcadam is a great lead..

think two of his leads that were honoured, and delivered to him perfectly, came from Tex..

Oh, the irony that its our 3 tall forwards that are the best at delivering the ball into the forward 50!
And Rankine delivered beautifully to Fogs mark and goal.
If only our forwards could kick to our forwards.

Mcadam is a great lead..

I agree our mids need to be better.

If I am to attribute blame for these scenarios, it is 80% the mids way.

If Tex and Fog had better delivery it would be easier for them.

Just think forwards being more mobile can give us more chances from such poor chances.

The core problem we have is midfield. And specifically drafting quality mids. The last high calibre mid we have drafted is Geelong’s captain.

We do ok in developing mid range draft midfield talent. Sloane and Laird. Even Keays.

But elite talent is identified in the draft. Or traded in. Given only SA born elite talent will come here, Dawson/JHF, that avenue is limited.

We could never trade in a guy like Taranto.

Want to make a quick mention of Worrell, is there anyone who looks angrier when he gets beaten, and happier when the team does well? It's hilarious too because he's built like Tarzan but he's so emotional, haha. He's like someone took peak-era Nathan Bassett and pumped him full of steroids.

Want to make a quick mention of Worrell, is there anyone who looks angrier when he gets beaten, and happier when the team does well? It's hilarious too because he's built like Tarzan but he's so emotional, haha. He's like someone took peak-era Nathan Bassett and pumped him full of steroids.
Just needs to be careful and not give away 50s talking back to the cheats.

I reckon Hinge and to a lesser extent Dawson (both of whom I really like) are just a bit too fond of how hard and low they’re able to kick. It should only be used when needed but they seem to use it as the default and hence shank more than they should.
They've caught Brodie-Smithitis.

Luckily they aren't quite as ineffective as Smith but it's heading that way

Sloane was excellent in the first quarter, but didn’t do much after that (opposite to recent weeks). Yes he made errors in that last quarter but he wasn’t on his own, and you can’t blame a loss on isolated incidents. It was a combination of poor goal kicking in first three quarters, shithouse umpiring, and when taking the game on in the last, a few errors.
I'm not blaming a loss on him, but you have to expect more from a senior player and former captain.

He is simply cooked.

That's one huge issue. Not only is he slow and can't keep up he's fumbling more than ever too. And now he's not quick enough to make up for it either.
Do people remember that Sloane did an ACL last year and missed most of the season. He most probably should not be playing in the midfield during his recovery and in my opinion he would be better suited to half back/forward or wing.

Back