Good-bye Nicole Livingstone

Remove this Banner Ad

And good riddance.

How anyone could think it was a good idea to shut out fans, because it helped "build a better atmosphere" by filling a ground which has limited viewing options, is beyond belief.

Idiocy. You will only grow the game by providing more than enough spots to accommodate everyone who wants to come.

It was an AFLW GRAND FINAL . Not just supporters of the two clubs would have been in attendance, if the facility had held more. My sister and nephew, supporters of Geelong, were going to travel 250 kilometres each way to watch the game (and support North) had they been able to get in. (My nephew has pretty handy vocal chords and was "kind enough" to send some "very nice" messages on our behalf to mummy's boy, when port adelaide played Geelong at GMHBA Stadium this year. But that's a different story.)

In her defense, it doesn't seem like they had any another option, with Marvel and the MCG being in use for other things. The real problem I think is Carlton took a bunch of money from the state to develop their ground and built a giant clubhouse on the boundary line instead of seats, while also leaving an old rusty stand in a state of unusable disrepair. Needs a rework if it's going to be viable as the home of 2nd tier footy in Victoria.

In her defense, it doesn't seem like they had any another option, with Marvel and the MCG being in use for other things. The real problem I think is Carlton took a bunch of money from the state to develop their ground and built a giant clubhouse on the boundary line instead of seats, while also leaving an old rusty stand in a state of unusable disrepair. Needs a rework if it's going to be viable as the home of 2nd tier footy in Victoria.

They own their own Stadium. Keep it available for the AFLW Grand Final. Easy.

Wait until they lock out 150000 feral Collingwood and *essendon supporters in an AFLW GF.

I prefer watching women’s footy at suburban grounds but they need to make them all good enough for players and fans. Good riddance still, for the short seasons, the conferences everyone knew was stupid, the horrible fixturing, the unfair decisions on entry to the league, the shocking umpiring standards, and the general lack of fight on behalf of the players and the game. The job needs someone who can think bigger and force change.

It wasn't full yesterday and there were plenty of tix floating about if you really wanted to go.

Two Vic teams may have been a different story but I don't see the issue having it there.

Atmosphere was much better than 20k at Marvel.

Last edited:
It wasn't full yesterday and there were plenty of tix floating about if you really wanted to go.

Two Vic teams may have been a different story but I don't see the issue having it there yesterday.

Yeah, it was far from a sellout. Happy to blame Carlton and their dodgy numbers.

Not many folk have much good to say about her. Her lack of accessibility to the general AFLW community has always been a concern. Glad to see her go - let's get a footy person in there that understands how to best react with footy fans. To quote Horace - good riddance.

Does anyone remember Nicole as a reporter from the Optus Vision days? One of the most embarrassing live-crosses I've ever seen was from pre-GF training in 1996. She was interviewing an older lady and kept asking her how many years she'd followed North. She wasn't listening to the answer at all. The look on the lady's face after the last one (pretty sure the 4th time she'd asked) was hilarious, and I think they cut the feed.

In her defense, it doesn't seem like they had any another option... The real problem I think is Carlton took a bunch of money.
Good riddance still, for the short seasons, the conferences everyone knew was stupid, the horrible fixturing, the unfair decisions on entry to the league, the shocking umpiring standards, and the general lack of fight on behalf of the players and the game. The job needs someone who can think bigger and force change.

Have a guess who Nicole is a HUGE supporter of? She has never ever hidden it! Yes, the same team who got an armchair ride to a Grand Final via her stupid conference system... & probably got a fair bit of moolah out of the last few weeks of AFLW finals!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They own their own Stadium. Keep it available for the AFLW Grand Final. Easy.

Wait until they lock out 150000 feral Collingwood and *essendon supporters in an AFLW GF.
By the time Essendon and Collingwood are playing off in a grand final presumably there'll be a stadium on the moon they can play it on.

Never understood how a meh Olympic swimmer…and she was meh….landed a gig like this….glad to see the back of her….turn the light off and don’t let the door hit you on the way out…..

Two Vic teams may have been a different story but I don't see the issue having it there.

That's likely because for a hell of a lot of the city it's a s**t ground to get to. If I chose public transport it'd take me at least 2 hours to get there and that's not including leaving time to get a seat / into the ground. It's an awful ground to get to via PT unless you live on that rail corridor or tram line. I'm ~12km from the CBD, it shouldn't be this hard.

Never understood how a meh Olympic swimmer…and she was meh….landed a gig like this….glad to see the back of her….turn the light off and don’t let the door hit you on the way out…..
Serial board member and if you know anything about these, then there's half your answer.

As an ideas person, she had zero clue and no doubt will find herself on another board to make 1 decision per year for a lump sum.

Serial board member and if you know anything about these, then there's half your answer.

As an ideas person, she had zero clue and no doubt will find herself on another board to make 1 decision per year for a lump sum.
Cheers Nate ….confirms everything l thought about her. 🍺

Is there any idea on front runners to take over?

As I recall they originally wanted Jen Watt but she saw it as a dead end job. As disappointed as I am in Nicole Livingstone, I suspect that whoever sits in the seat is not really invited to the big table and is simply expected to own the decisions that are made way above that pay grade.

That's likely because for a hell of a lot of the city it's a s**t ground to get to. If I chose public transport it'd take me at least 2 hours to get there and that's not including leaving time to get a seat / into the ground. It's an awful ground to get to via PT unless you live on that rail corridor or tram line. I'm ~12km from the CBD, it shouldn't be this hard.

This is all true but it's 10x better for accessibility than the next option, which is Footscray.

Does anyone remember Nicole as a reporter from the Optus Vision days? One of the most embarrassing live-crosses I've ever seen was from pre-GF training in 1996. She was interviewing an older lady and kept asking her how many years she'd followed North. She wasn't listening to the answer at all. The look on the lady's face after the last one (pretty sure the 4th time she'd asked) was hilarious, and I think they cut the feed.

Good swimmer tho

Gee I remember my Dad getting pick pocket there in 1979, losing heaps of games there in the 90’s and having a miserable 3/4 there in Feb this year v Dogs until I left

Civilian Conservation Corps Vintage GIF by US National Archives

This is all true but it's 10x better for accessibility than the next option, which is Footscray.
Footscray isn't a bad option and in a year with the tunnel open it will have huge capacity on that line to get people there easily.

Did she quit because we made the Grand Final?

Watching her smirk when asked if she’d be going to the Paris Olympics I suspect she has a job lined up with the broadcaster or with the Aus Olympic team or similar. She couldn’t hide it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back