News Good Old Collingwood Forever Different Version

Remove this Banner Ad

That's basically just a quickened up version of the original (or at least current original song).

If anyone wants to hear (or read) a different version of our song, try finding the Mike Brady version from the 80's (New Magpies got him to create it I think), it has a whole new verse before the "normal" song starts.

Haven't heard it in years though, since the old Vic Park days.

Apparently there is a new "rock"-style version included on the Collingwood Gold CD, which you can see on Joffa's website. I've searched for it but haven't found anything. Will be interesting to hear it.

That's basically just a quickened up version of the original (or at least current original song).

If anyone wants to hear (or read) a different version of our song, try finding the Mike Brady version from the 80's (New Magpies got him to create it I think), it has a whole new verse before the "normal" song starts.

Haven't heard it in years though, since the old Vic Park days.

I got it as a MP3 and It ends with "There is only 1 team we Barrack for and that is Good Old Collingwood" or somethning like that

I remember the version mattys123 is talking about. Been trying to locate the version with the second verse for a while with no luck. I think it went along the lines of
'There's no team we'd rather see winning'
'There's no team that likes winning more'
'When it's all said and done'
'And the premierships won'
'It's Collingwood for ever more'
then it goes back into Good Old Collingwood forever

I got it as a MP3 and It ends with "There is only 1 team we Barrack for and that is Good Old Collingwood" or somethning like that

The 'new ' Magpies replaced the line 'Oh the Premiership's a cakewalk' (because they thought it was bringing us bad luck) to 'Oh there's just one team we favour'

The 'new ' Magpies replaced the line 'Oh the Premiership's a cakewalk' (because they thought it was bringing us bad luck) to 'Oh there's just one team we favour'
Yep, that's the worst line ever inserted/changed in our song's history.

Sing it out loud and compare it to "Oh the Premiership's a cakewalk" and judge for yourself.

Oh, and as for the other verse of the Mike Brady version (see magwood's above post), I can only remember two lines;

"So we give our support, for the kings of the sport"
"It's Collingwood, forever more"
(or something like that).

I like the song as just another piece of our history, but don't get me wrong, the current version is the song we must always sing at the ground.:D

Yep, that's the worst line ever inserted/changed in our song's history.

Sing it out loud and compare it to "Oh the Premiership's a cakewalk" and judge for yourself.

Oh, and as for the other verse of the Mike Brady version (see magwood's above post), I can only remember two lines;

"So we give our support, for the kings of the sport"
"It's Collingwood, forever more"
(or something like that).

Maybe there's two extra verses bc I remember it as " When it's all said and done, and the Premiership's won, it's Collingwood forever more"

That is it and Here it is:

[YOUTUBE]lxdoXwV7iyM[/YOUTUBE]

The only thing I want changed when the song is played is vesion that has "they know how to play the game". I ALWAYS sing "WE know how to play the game". And every new person I bring into the fold barracking for the Pies I strongly point this out.

I so much prefer the old style song too. The Brady version just doesn't sit well with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know when the players started to add and sing "Cor Blimey" after they sing "To uphold the Magpies name" , in the players winners circle.

I asked on Nicks and have got various answers as to when it started.

Anyone on here know ?

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=59873

Funny you should ask that, i was only last week asking the same question.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767009

I did check some videos from the late 80,s to early 90's but their is no change room song, like we get today, i wonder when that started ?.

From what i understand the "cor blimey" was part of the song, when the club/song were formed, but only recently returned to the song,

I think the dictionary is wrong, maybe not wrong, but out of date (if you know what i mean), its a primarily cockney saying, and considering early Collingwood was primarily settled by working class English, i would imagine this is where it came from.

Remember before Collingwood FC, the local footy club was called Brittania
( thats about as English and Protestant as you get), the Catholic side of Collingwood really grew as Catholic Irish/Scottish and 1st/2nd generation Australians etc returned from the Goldfields of country Victoria to take up jobs primarily in the boot factories that sprang up around Abbotsford.

This became Collingwoods strength of the future, Catholics in those days had plenty of kids usually and they would all become pies supporters, grow up and move further north to Clifton Hill. Northcote, Preston etc (simplistic i know), of course it's also helpful that Collingwood won plenty of flags in those days :D

The population of Collingwood, Abbotsford and Clifton Hill was once over 40,000 in the 1920s, the vast majority back then would have been working class or breadline families, it would be lucky to break 14k now, with very different demographics.

I should stop now...!!

No please don't, you closet Collingwood supporter.:p:eek:

Well they are a very exciting team to watch, best Collingwood team i have seen without doubt, and i can just vaguely remember the 1970 team as a kid.

But at the same time Freo has a wonderful history and character as well, both in football and the area, so i am pretty lucky in that regard, but part of my family is connected historically with the Collingwood/Abbotsford suburbs, so i do have a interest.

I thought it could have been "there is just one team with Gayfer"

Thankfully the 1990 premiership brought back the cakewalk. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back