Goodbye My Friend

Remove this Banner Ad

That is very sad and my condolences to mrs. Scales and the family. Scales and north posters may have sometimes had their disagreements, but he was always a respected poster and from what l heard and have read, he was a passionate Essendon fan and poster and defended his club with fierceness that l and so many others respect. He was one of the few essendon posters alongside lance and a few others that l really took notice of when talking about essendon and always offered a different perspective.

RIP Scales, you were one of the good ones. May you find peace.

Yoda_ you are so right in relation to jumping on here. I wanted you to know that the post where you announced you were going to be a father still resonates within me and I thank you for sharing this news. I as many others on here were genuinely thrilled for you.

My 24yo son also carries the demon that is depression. His words that he can't imagine himself ever being happy and that he no longer wants to be here have shattered me but I haven't let him know that. I contact him every day just on trivial matters just to know he's ok.
The posters on here have gives me hope and especially you Yoda_ being in the same age demographic as my son.

All my condolences to The Scales' family and friends, and of course his mates on the Essendon board, of which there are obviously heaps. A truly horrible situation and one that is hard to read about.

Puts into perspective that in the grand scheme of things, this website and the running battles that go on really are not that important. We North mods discussed this last night and The Filth Wizard's words were: "A football man has passed and he deserves our respect", or words to that degree.

I would love to echo the sentiments of everyone that has said it is very simple to be there for someone, and if you can take the time out to ask someone you know if they're OK, you have every chance of saving a life.

Rest in Peace.

Last edited:
I'm shocked and terribly sorry to hear this news.

My condolences go out to you, his family and loved ones. It is incredible that you were able to see the positive side (that his passing enabled others to live) so soon after this tragedy. It shows what sort of character you must have.

My sympathy also to his friends / fellow BF posters on here. Like Mrs. Scales said, I hope this can serve as a reminder of just how important the "R u ok" day message is and that we need to remember this and live it every day

Very saddening news. My condolences to The Scales' family and friends and those here on the Essendon BF board.

It's always heartbreaking to lose a partner/family member/friend, but to lose one at such a young age and in tragic circumstances makes it tougher to bear.

RIP The Scales.

My condolences to family, friends and BF buddies of The Scales. Such a truly sad time for all. I had only one or two insignificant encounters with him in our, previously mentioned, sympathy thread, but could tell he was an articulate and thoughtful poster.

May he rest in peace.

There's a song called Blackbird by Alter Bridge. I first heard it a decade after a mate of mine took his own life but the lyrics brought a tear to my eye in memory of my buddy. It's a song that some may consider somewhat dark, others like myself will consider beautifully written (Myles Kennedy wrote it in memory of one of his friends who took his own life).

I won't post the lyrics as I don' want to offend people that may interpret them differently to myself, and will instead leave it up to you if you want to look it up, but it helped bring me long overdue closure on my mate's premature passing and it is poignant in this scenario as well, whether you actually met The Scales or only knew his online persona.

Absolutely shocking news. The Scales was a very proud Bombers man who passionately defended his club, always in good spirit and with a healthy dose of self deprecation.

Sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warming the heart reading through the thread, thanks for all coming together BF. Its also poignant to note how many people have mentioned how depression has affected somebody in their lives also, its clearly more in the majority than the minorty.

Not sure if anybody is familiar with Ancient Egpytian history but there is a set of scales used in the after life.

Upon ones passing their heart was placed on a scale weighing against a feather of the goddess of order, truth and righteousness.

i'm confident the scales we knew on here, who always posted with truth, order and righteousness will pass the scales test up there too.

Such a sad thread, but reading through it I sense there is a lot of people out there in big footy land who have had similar experiences with family and friends, myself included, it's a devastating time for all who are close to the person, I send my love and strength to Mrs.Scales and her daughter, I hope you can find some peace in your life and can accept that The Scales has left us..We all have different fights in life that we have to deal with, footy or hobbies are a great way to distract us from the darker side and keep us keen and interested, Big footy is a cool way to have a chat and some friendly banter..It's brought me to tears seeing the bigfooty community come out to show their love for The Scales..Remember folks, don't get personal on your keyboards, most internet warriors are actually quite vulnerable also..We all need support...
I takes a bigger person to build someone elses self esteem that to be a man who aims to lower others self esteem, each one reach one and each one try to teach one..
Vale The Scales...:cry:

I lost my Mum about five years ago, she was 76 and died of natural causes, like The Scales she made her body available for organ donation, we learnt later that most of her organs were too old for transplants, except her Corneas, which were used, it gave us all some joy to know that someone was able to benefit from Mum's donation..We all got a few few laughs when we we learnt this, My brother said, I'll keep an eye out for her..just like she did..
Miss you Mum..you're the only reason I'd ever wish the Tigers another flag..I'll wish a hell of a lot harder for a flag for The Scales however...

Rest in peace The Scales.

Whilst I don't remember much of The Scales' posting, I do remember seeing his name and avatar around the threads. You'll be missed mate, thoughts are with the family and friends. Extremely saddening news.

I agree also, BigFooty really is a great community to be a part of. Just last week I was really struggling with Phillip Hughes' passing, and I just stopped posting for a couple of days. When I came back on I was shocked to see the support I was getting over on the cricket board. I couldn't believe in a time of such national pain, I'd find so many people I've never met providing personal support for me. It really meant a lot and it made me realise how important BigFooty has become to my life. We are all here to help each other in times of need.

I went a few rounds with The Scales on the HTB and mostly came out pretty bruised and battered.
He was genuinely intelligent and humorous.
Love to his friends and family and mates on BF.
RIP
From CC

Sorry for your loss guys, its heartwarming to feel how much of a effect this place has on people and in a positive way, and amazing courage and respect to Mrs Scales for taking the time to actually come here to relay this terrible news.

Condolences to the family and best wishes for happier times, RIP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back