Gough Whitlam: Messiah or Very Naughty Boy?

Messiah or Very Naughty Boy?

• Messiah

Votes: 37 72.5%
  • Very Naughty Boy

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • What the?

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All this is kind of irrelevant to what I was talking about before though. My point was that the US pre-WWI had no income tax and the government was barely existent, yet a whole lot of things still got done by private enterprise. The USA's rail networks and copper telephone networks were built by private enterprise, for example. (not to mention invented by private inventors)
And look at all the social problems they have and the poverty that exists in that country.

Um who cares if a public service is profitable?

Simply not having it run towards a profit motive is a GIANT reason not to allow foreign billionaires to purchase assets Australians already paid for.

We need to take back the following industries at a minimum: mining, banking, farming, power, public transport, education the private sector proved they can't run any of these in a mutually beneficial way - all of these services are susbtantially more expensive (in many cases, THE most expensive in the world) since being "privatised" and the quality of service and return to the taxpayer has dropped.

The free market has never existed in Australia, for good reason (it doesn't work). We have a choice between monopoly or state owned i.e. hand it to a billionaire mate of the LNP/IPA echo chamber of insanity which pokerspiv appears to be a fan of (most likely an employee of), or do we want the people to own it and run it as non for profit, keeping prices down, focusing on social benefit like apprenticeships, traineeships, work/life balance, quality of service, long term planning etc.

I was talking about the US pre-1915. The USA of today is not much different to any other country in terms of the size and scope of government.

Your rose coloured glass view of history misses the human history both uplifting & miserable from those chaotic times.
The USA certainly was 'made' by business people. They had a can do mentality. However Government was forced to temper a lot of their destructive excesses. eg US Antitrust laws.
The US rail system is like their phone system, all split into various companies & not very efficient. The rail system development was a dogs breakfast of small & large companies who came & went bust. Destroying the lives of a mass of ordinary workers & families on the way. Its all too easy to look at the big guys, Ford, Carnegie, Rockerfeller, Vanderbilt etc etc. But they also crushed a lot of lives, especially the little guys & their families.
The USA is not a great example for social development IMO. It is dominated by money & 'the self'. Not so much by 'the community'.
I much prefer our more mixed economy. Although its under pressure from the current tea party mentality of the rabid right.

Simply not having it run towards a profit motive is a GIANT reason not to allow foreign billionaires to purchase assets Australians already paid for.

We need to take back the following industries at a minimum: mining, banking, farming, power, public transport, education the private sector proved they can't run any of these in a mutually beneficial way - all of these services are susbtantially more expensive (in many cases, THE most expensive in the world) since being "privatised" and the quality of service and return to the taxpayer has dropped.

The free market has never existed in Australia, for good reason (it doesn't work). We have a choice between monopoly or state owned i.e. hand it to a billionaire mate of the LNP/IPA echo chamber of insanity which pokerspiv appears to be a fan of (most likely an employee of), or do we want the people to own it and run it as non for profit, keeping prices down, focusing on social benefit like apprenticeships, traineeships, work/life balance, quality of service, long term planning etc.

What a fantasitc battle cry for Australia to become a Communist state.

Who is we by the way?

Which Californian is broke?
Arnold+Schwarzenegger+Expendables+3+Photocall+SgSgGVFqksXl.jpg

Just kidding. He is rolling in Benjamins!!

The Australian people.

There's nothing Communist about the state owning anything, if you knew anything about Communism you'd know that.

I know all about it. Perhaps you don't understand Australian politics?

What you're suggesting would require a single political party system that is totally committed to totalitarian statism.

What you're suggesting would require a single political party system that is totally committed to totalitarian statism.

I'm pretty sure he understands that and is fine with it, which is what makes it scary.

We need to take back the following industries at a minimum: mining, banking, farming

I can't wait to see you try.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well no not at all, Communism actually advocates for the abolition of the state, but you'd know that if you knew anything about communism... unfortunately you're a poser.

I'm pretty sure he understands that and is fine with it, which is what makes it scary.

I can't wait to see you try.

A bullet to the head of a foreign billionaire does the trick most of the time. And yes I agree, a free thinking individual communist is scary as *.

A bullet to the head of a foreign billionaire does the trick most of the time. And yes I agree, a free thinking individual communist is scary as ****.

I think you missed the part where the only people in Australia who have guns are the farmers whose land you want to steal.

Arnie seems to have descended (even further) into self parody since leaving office, I'm increasingly becoming a fan. It's good to see a self deprecating American.
He's always been a very clever man. Read his first autobiography, before he was an actor. He's a genius.

Its not a matter of profitability, its about cost & benefit, or efficiency & effectiveness. Public services are generally important. But the right services for the best benefit at the lowest cost is what its about.
That may mean cutting some services or beefing up others.
You certainly cant just close your eyes & throw money at every situation. That just costs all of us.

Sure, but why should banking for example be for profit.

Bankers aren't producing something and selling it, they are a vital service that we need out of necessity to facilitate business. Introducing a profit motive could lead to banks becoming too profit focused and even becoming too big to fail... oh wait.

And try not using one.

Sure, but why should banking for example be for profit.

Bankers aren't producing something and selling it, they are a vital service that we need out of necessity to facilitate business. Introducing a profit motive could lead to banks becoming too profit focused and even becoming too big to fail... oh wait.

And try not using one.
Next you'll be asking the Government to start up their own bank to make things fairer for the community.. Oh wait..

Why? You need hard working people like me to get taxed to the shithouse to provide for all the leeches in society.

If all the hard workers that pay their own way in life left you'd all starve to death.

And you reckon the Left live in fantasy land.

How does this hard-working, low-taxing nirvana function as a society?

Back