Grand final location

Remove this Banner Ad

Two major reasons I can see (aside from contractual obligations) that would mean it's not going to happen:

1. Tradition is a BIG thing in football. The MCG is the home of footy.
2. No other stadium can seat anywhere near as many people in the correct format.

Don't see superbowl or champions league being played in the same stadium year after year. Yes there needs to be a minimum capacity to host it there but that capacity should be 60-70k.

No but the SuperBowl or UCL final are locked in miles in advance, just like the AFL GF needs to be.

There's no way you can wait til the prelims are finished to work out where the GF is played, with a whole 7 days notice.

They have no finals for their league.
But they do have finals for the FA cup, which was the premis of your statement.

The out-of-towners can whine and moan and bitch all they want.

THe MCG is the home of the AFL and the Grand Final.

And why does this subject get raised every single year?

As Elsa would say - LET IT GO

But they do have finals for the FA cup, which was the premis of your statement.

The out-of-towners can whine and moan and bitch all they want.

THe MCG is the home of the AFL and the Grand Final.

And why does this subject get raised every single year?

As Elsa would say - LET IT GO
Ok let's say AFL had a cup competition and that involved teams in state leagues and local teams. That is the equivalent of the FA Cup.

More an issue of stadium suitability than tradition.

No other stadium is fit for the job. If every state had a 100,000 seat oval stadium then maybe.

Same reason the FA Cup final is always played at Wembley.
This is pretty much it, two examples of the OP's scenario occurred in 1985-86 and 1988-89 when the Cup finals were Merseyside derbies held at Wembley.

Could lump in Arsenal v Chelsea at Cardiff in 2001-02 if you wanted.

Don't see superbowl or champions league being played in the same stadium year after year. Yes there needs to be a minimum capacity to host it there but that capacity should be 60-70k.
I agree with this.

Would be good if every state had a stadium that would hold a required number and start of every season this ground is nominated as the holder of the GF.

The only thing that should be changed is that non Victorian teams need to get the opportunity to play at the MCG more often during the year.
There is an obvious advantage to Victorian teams and this will always be the case as the Grand Final will always, and should always, be played at the G.
There should be a quota for teams to be able to play there through out the year, say 3 or 4 minimum, to try and negate this advantage.
Sending Fremantle to play in Tasmania when the team their playings home ground is the MCG is just a dumb decision (from the point of view of competition fairness (which i do realise is not high on the AFL's list of priorities))

On the premise that the two teams come from another city, the same one, you dont know that till the week before.

Is a few days enough to organize all the stuff ? Do you keep five stadiums on alert ? Theyred be a holding fee for each one, and in one city the nrl would take precedence

Look at all these people quoting FA Cup, yet nobody mentions that a) this is not the teams most important competition and b) superbowl and uefa cl finals are moved around

In advance, not based on who is playing.

It's a massive stage managed event that can't be put together inside a week.

For example - Chelsea and Man U played each other in a UCL final in bloody Moscow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So on the biggest game of the year, your suggestion is that the AFL will give up the 30k in revenue that they get from corporate packages and tickets plus all the ancillary revenue that those 30k tickets create.

I didn't think so.

Go Catters

So on the biggest game of the year, your suggestion is that the AFL will give up the 30k in revenue that they get from corporate packages and tickets plus all the ancillary revenue that those 30k tickets create.

I didn't think so.

Go Catters
Is the superbowl not the biggest NFL game? How about the CL Final? How about the AFL not be so selfish and give fans from other cities a chance

The only thing that should be changed is that non Victorian teams need to get the opportunity to play at the MCG more often during the year.
There is an obvious advantage to Victorian teams and this will always be the case as the Grand Final will always, and should always, be played at the G.
There should be a quota for teams to be able to play there through out the year, say 3 or 4 minimum, to try and negate this advantage.
Sending Fremantle to play in Tasmania when the team their playings home ground is the MCG is just a dumb decision (from the point of view of competition fairness (which i do realise is not high on the AFL's list of priorities))
You can move some home games to the G if you want more games there, you can't really have any say in away games.
We only get to play Subi maybe once a year and yet have to front up for finals there at a huge disadvantage.

You can move some home games to the G if you want more games there, you can't really have any say in away games.
We only get to play Subi maybe once a year and yet have to front up for finals there at a huge disadvantage.
Then move the grand final to random grounds if you're gonna pull that argument as last I heard Subiaco doesn't host the grand final

Is the superbowl not the biggest NFL game? How about the CL Final? How about the AFL not be so selfish and give fans from other cities a chance

Have you seen the AFL???

"How about the AFL not be so selfish and give fans from other cities a chance"…. Good thought. Never gonna happen. Thats like asking WC to give more to the equalisation fund than the 500k cap they have.
Would you do that? No. AFL ain't doing this either.

You've got an airport and a ticket allocation. The rest is up to you.

But keep thinking the AFL will give up revenue to make you feel good….o_O

By the way, time to feed you pet unicorn …

Go Catters

Then move the grand final to random grounds if you're gonna pull that argument as last I heard Subiaco doesn't host the grand final

We have had 1 home final period. All the rest are at Etihad or the G. We travel to every final.

Go Catters

Your 60,000 seats short!
Maybe you could pay double for a ticket just to even things out since the afl would be at a massive loss holding the GF away from Melbourne.. It is a business after all

If you read my previous posts you would see I said has to be at least 60-70k stadium so AFL wont lose too much. Is it not better to develop the game in Sydney or Brisbane as well?

That would mean the biggest game of the year wouldn't be the grand final since a few home n away games at the g get 80+ during the year

That would mean the biggest game of the year wouldn't be the grand final since a few home n away games at the g get 80+ during the year
Who cares. As long as the stadium is packed with 50k+ it doesn't make a difference watching on TV

Who cares. As long as the stadium is packed with 50k+ it doesn't make a difference watching on TV

So WC, in your case, will subsidise the AFL the lost revenue for the game as a result of moving it?

Didn't think so.

Go Catters

So WC, in your case, will subsidise the AFL the lost revenue for the game as a result of moving it?

Didn't think so.

Go Catters
And what about the leagues all around the world who don't host it in the biggest stadium every single year? Because they understand it's not fair for both the teams and fans alike

Remove this Banner Ad

Back