Remove this Banner Ad

The last 20 years have been an interesting study in dynasties:
Hawks 4 premierships
Lions 3 Premierships
Cats 3 Premierships
Tigers 3 Premierships
Swans 2 Premierships
Weagles 2 Premierships

Six teams carving up 17 of the last 20 flags between them, leaving just one each for Power, Pies and Dogs. (Pies played GF’s in 5 of those 20 years, sadly for just one Premiership). Nine other teams with nothing to show over those two decades.

The Weagles seem an exception to me but the rest have a lot in common:
* Ruthless pursuit of excellence
* Absolute buy-in from all players
* Aggressive list management
* Refusal to make excuses for failure
* Very few off-field incidents
* Great support coaches, trainers, medicos, etc

We are presently a long way back but that’s what we must aspire to. Relentlessly. Every day. Can it happen with current admin?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I ******* hate Richmond, but they've won 3 of the last 4 Grand Finals for a reason, better;

President
Executive
Football Department
Coaches
List Management
Recruiters
Players

They are what we really are not.
Was it only 5 years ago that there was a challenge to unseat the board?
No, it was 2016!

There are many reasons the Tigers have been more successful than the pies.

The one thing that stands out to me that can’t be controlled are injuries. Tigers have had a fairly remarkable run in the last 4 years outside of Rance

What do you think Buckley and Eddie were thinking after watching Tigers win their third flag in four years?

I agree he needs to show it from 2021 onwards, but l disagree he is not far off. He needs to not only win games off his boot, but turn games for us when we are struggling, like Martin did tonight and has done so many times over many years for Richmond. JDG has the ability, but not the consistency at the moment.
Martin didn’t exactly have a consistently dominant year either. Polled less than half the brownlow votes of the winner, and its richmond’s pressure and swarm squad that are the biggest reasons for their dominance. I think replace dusty with JDG in that team, and he kicks 4 as well

What do you think Buckley and Eddie were thinking after watching Tigers win their third flag in four years?

Eddie would be saying “right, here we go. No stone will be unturned in making us like that”. All the while refusing to acknowledge the things that he has already f’d up, to ensure that we haven’t been, to date...

Tigers got it out of midfield when the game had to be won.

We did the opposite in 2018.

Then their small guys (who did heck all else) tackled and kept it in there.

We do not have one small player in our forward half like their 5-6 pests.

Extraordinary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are many reasons the Tigers have been more successful than the pies.

The one thing that stands out to me that can’t be controlled are injuries. Tigers have had a fairly remarkable run in the last 4 years outside of Rance
Not correct, they were decimated mid year in 2019 and again this year. It’s their incredible depth that makes them very good and their medical people seem to be able to get them all back for finals. Combined with Houli and Edwards who stayed in Melb, they lost Astbury, Grimes, Prestia, Cotchin and Nankervis. Lynch busted his hand then did a hammy and they also lost Soldo. The good sides cover their injuries. Broad and Caddy couldn’t get a game during the year, Stack got done having a kebab, they’ve cleared blokes like Ellis and Butler and of course Rance has gone too. Other no names like Aarts, Chol, Ross and Markrov played lots of games too_Our depth runs out at about 14 or 15 and we end up paying overs to keep blokes that wouldn’t get that money at clubs like Rich and Geel. This is our biggest prob, the list just isn’t deep enough.

They all go so hard at the footy, like, every single player. Pickett gets criticised for being soft and not doing the hard stuff, yet he had 5 huge tackles in the first 2 or 3 quarters. Look at us, we have so many soft players, very few players willing to dive at the footy, cop the hit and win the hard ball. Yes our contested stats and tackle numbers are decent, but I swear it's the same few players going in and getting it done, whereas with a team like Richmond, it's all 22 players. When you watch them, it looks like they have 1 or 2 more players than the opposition.

Gotta give them credit, amazing unit. I can't see anybody catching them next year, wouldn't be surprised if they win a couple more and then will be regarded as one of the best teams of all time. Dusty is dead set one of the best players, if not THE BEST player that ever played the game.

18/22 players draft straight to the club, 5 of which were rookies, with 8 top 30 picks. Just 4/22 players traded in to the club, one was a delisted free agent.

The emphasis was on the “*”.

I think it’s legit though. Richmond had a tough path... albeit not as tough as ours or Geelong’s.
They certainly made Queensland a home away from home only losing one match in that state and in a way reset their season. In comparison during the H&A season we had a lot more travel and more shorter breaks than our opponents. At the same time we also lost games we shouldn't have (GWS, Essendon) and had two disasters (WC, Melbourne). Geelong sat somewhere in the middle with the Perth hub not good for either the cats or us.

1603548785865.png

The last 20 years have been an interesting study in dynasties:
Hawks 4 premierships
Lions 3 Premierships
Cats 3 Premierships
Tigers 3 Premierships
Swans 2 Premierships
Weagles 2 Premierships

Six teams carving up 17 of the last 20 flags between them, leaving just one each for Power, Pies and Dogs. (Pies played GF’s in 5 of those 20 years, sadly for just one Premiership). Nine other teams with nothing to show over those two decades.

The Weagles seem an exception to me but the rest have a lot in common:
* Ruthless pursuit of excellence
* Absolute buy-in from all players
* Aggressive list management
* Refusal to make excuses for failure
* Very few off-field incidents
* Great support coaches, trainers, medicos, etc

We are presently a long way back but that’s what we must aspire to. Relentlessly. Every day. Can it happen with current admin?

Certainly a lot easier to win premierships when you get a bunch of selfless players who play for unders to get success.

At Collingwood every player seems to squeeze us for maximum value every time.

Certainly a lot easier to win premierships when you get a bunch of selfless players who play for unders to get success.

At Collingwood every player seems to squeeze us for maximum value every time.
You'd think we were having retention problems that we had to overpay player to stay...

go and check how many players on their list will be 30 or older next year.

Who is going to beat them at the mcg?

Only way I can see them missing out on the grand final is if Dusty got injured.

I just don’t see many genuine challengers. Perhaps Geelong but recent history suggests, not many beaten teams return to the grand final the next season.

Cox ruined Richmond's four peat. Sidebottom spoiled our one peat.
Sidebottom brought his own ball to the 2018 Prelim. People fail to remember. Another thing they forget is that Dustin Martin’s thigh was swollen to twice its usual size and Greenwood was able to keep him quiet.

“Imagine if they drafted Buddy instead of Tambling?”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back