A-League Grand Finals To Be Played In Sydney Has Been Revoked! Replaced By 'Unite Round'

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian Professional Leagues (APL) Board:
Paul Lederer (Wanderers, Chair)
Danny Townsend (CEO)
Simon Pearce (Melb City)
Anthony di Pietro (Melb Victory)
Scott Barlow (Syd FC)
Chris Fong (Brisbane)
Stephen Evans (Silver Lake)
Ebru Köksal (FA)

2 independents to be appointed.

Very east coast dominated.
You would have to question if this would have gone through if WA, SA and NZ had seats on the board?
Excellent, thank you. Entirely eastern seaboard focused.

Sounds like Melbourne City still supporting it, embarrassing and disappointing given how strong WU have been and now Victory (albeit a clear backflip after voting for it initially).

Hard to see how it isn’t scrapped by the weekend now the biggest club is actively campaigning against it.

Isn't the APL the 12 clubs though? They are all shareholders. There is no way every club didn't know and agree to this. Happy to take the money then pretend they didn't agree to it to try and not upset their own fans.
In a letter to its Members Western United said: "Our Club isn’t represented on the APL board, and we weren’t consulted on the decision announced yesterday."

Well Melbourne City have more trophies in our cabinet than the average Adelaide United fan has brain cells, so we've all got problems :D

What a weird unit you are.

Just so unnecessary

Removed the post,.however I still don't think it's fair to say Melbourne City (or the City Footy Group) support the decision, just because they haven't made any public comment yet. All the City/Heart fans I know hate it, and it would be disappointing if the club endorsed (which I am sure they wouldn't)

At least we haven't handled it as badly as Victory and or their former Chairman though.

I feel the general/non City supporters of the A League seem to think our club has far more sway and influence over the APL and A League than what is actually in reality

What are we (Melbourne City) supposed to do anyway? We just lost our manager to our sister club in Ligue 1 (best of luck Paddy) and got several players returning from Socceroos duties ?

The club has a lot on its plate at the moment, reacting irrationally to this sudden APL decision achievs nothing. We are the consumate and professionally run A League Club these days, I will trust them implicitly to do the right thing.

Removed the post,.however I still don't think it's fair to say Melbourne City (or the City Footy Group) support the decision, just because they haven't made any public comment yet. All the City/Heart fans I know hate it, and it would be disappointing if the club endorsed (which I am sure they wouldn't)

At least we haven't handled it as badly as Victory and or their former Chairman though.

I feel the general/non City supporters of the A League seem to think our club has far more sway and influence over the APL and A League than what is actually in reality

What are we (Melbourne City) supposed to do anyway? We just lost our manager to our sister club in Ligue 1 (best of luck Paddy) and got several players returning from Socceroos duties ?

The club has a lot on its plate at the moment, reacting irrationally to this sudden APL decision achievs nothing. We are the consumate and professionally run A League Club these days, I will trust them implicitly to do the right thing.
FB_IMG_1670920898358.jpg
No public comment but spoken to ESPN already at the Leckie/Tilio press conference.

A two legged GF might just be the goodwill gesture needed to save face here from the backlash.

At least as a spin off you can say the two best sides have a chance to experience the drama of a final or something like that.
Also gives strong incentive to members who would get priority seating for these sorts of games which goes out the window when Sydney now host for 3 years straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1572645
No public comment but spoken to ESPN already at the Leckie/Tilio press conference.

Didn't see that tidbit to be fair, not happy with the club's response, but hopefully the situation does resolve itself and the APL reverses it in a couple of weeks.

Lucy Zelic, not a sydneysider but canberrian i believe, bashed this idea up on SENs The Run Home show.

Full quotes here

Former SBS football host Lucy Zelic unloaded on the call on SEN, saying she didn’t see anything positive about the decision.

“They (the A-League) sold their soul,” Zelic said on The Run Home.

“There is nothing great about this decision.

“The A-Leagues can dress this pig up as much as they like and they can call this turd whatever they want, it’s still a turd.

“It’s disgusting, it’s despicable, it’s disgraceful and it’s a slap in the face to football fans who have genuinely stood by their teams in this competition for all these years.

“We (as a sporting code) have absolutely ridden these fans through the ringer.

“Let’s say for example that Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City are in the final; you are going to force fans to find accommodation and flights.

“Who’s going to fork out $800 to go up north and back with your family? The cost of living is through the roof.

“Do you think a bunch of Sydneysiders will watch two Melbourne teams duke it out? They aren’t going to give a crap.”

Zelic said she wanted the game’s bosses to be honest about why the decision was made.

“I’ve got nothing against Danny, he’s a great guy, but on this one I have to say it’s a disgrace,” Zelic continued.

“I would’ve much preferred if Danny came out and said that as a league economically, we continue to struggle.

“We are not getting the ratings we would’ve liked with our new broadcast partnership.

“Crowd attendance is also quite low.

“You can line up your pockets which definitely need to be filled but with how many fans you are going to piss off, you’re going to need that money.

“If you’re going to make the cash grab for the reported eight-figure sum, tell us.

“Say that you’ve done this in the short-term and had to do it for financial reasons.

“As a sport, we need to be better.”

Full quotes here

Former SBS football host Lucy Zelic unloaded on the call on SEN, saying she didn’t see anything positive about the decision.

“They (the A-League) sold their soul,” Zelic said on The Run Home.

“There is nothing great about this decision.

“The A-Leagues can dress this pig up as much as they like and they can call this turd whatever they want, it’s still a turd.

“It’s disgusting, it’s despicable, it’s disgraceful and it’s a slap in the face to football fans who have genuinely stood by their teams in this competition for all these years.

“We (as a sporting code) have absolutely ridden these fans through the ringer.

“Let’s say for example that Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City are in the final; you are going to force fans to find accommodation and flights.

“Who’s going to fork out $800 to go up north and back with your family? The cost of living is through the roof.

“Do you think a bunch of Sydneysiders will watch two Melbourne teams duke it out? They aren’t going to give a crap.”

Zelic said she wanted the game’s bosses to be honest about why the decision was made.

“I’ve got nothing against Danny, he’s a great guy, but on this one I have to say it’s a disgrace,” Zelic continued.

“I would’ve much preferred if Danny came out and said that as a league economically, we continue to struggle.

“We are not getting the ratings we would’ve liked with our new broadcast partnership.

“Crowd attendance is also quite low.

“You can line up your pockets which definitely need to be filled but with how many fans you are going to piss off, you’re going to need that money.

“If you’re going to make the cash grab for the reported eight-figure sum, tell us.

“Say that you’ve done this in the short-term and had to do it for financial reasons.

“As a sport, we need to be better.”
Money plain and simple.
NSW is a joke for football. Always their interests ahead of the other states
After an incredible 2-3 weeks, the A leagues come out and destroys any future for the league. ****ing joke. This is EXACTLY the problem with football in Australia. Just rife of corruption, greed, power. Well done on them destroying the optimism of the World Cup. Couldn’t have written a better script

What a sh!t-show this is. All the hope in recent months totally destroyed with one swift action.

Fj2r4P6aMAIJFrN

Sage said he heard about it last week and had been trying to get them to change their mind. His response to it yesterday was "a flipping joke" and has been on pretty much every radio station in Perth over the last 2 days ripping into the APL. There is no way in hell he would have agreed to have his name on the release.

Sage said he heard about it last week and had been trying to get them to change their mind. His response to it yesterday was "a *ing joke" and has been on pretty much every radio station in Perth over the last 2 days ripping into the APL. There is no way in hell he would have agreed to have his name on the release.
Unless it’s legally bounding due to him being apart of the APL.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he is forced to resign. Sad really

Remove this Banner Ad

Back