A-League Grand Finals To Be Played In Sydney Has Been Revoked! Replaced By 'Unite Round'

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont have any skin here. Did love the home finals. Had atmosphere.

Will be interested to see if the APL will back down or not. What a terrible decision and terrible marketing of said decision. Misrepresenting Goodwin, the terrible Q&A and the whole shebang.

Be a brave(stupid) man to carry through here. Every fan and player seems to be against this.

What I don't get is, sure you get a fixed income for the grand final. But wouldn't hosting a sell-out in Adelaide bring in just as much income(or close enough) than an Adelaide home grand final in Sydney.

319634019_654160463221064_5285703700823740556_n.jpg

If the league was this well established goliath, then and only then might one understand the decision to try this move.

But for a fledgling league that is literally dying a slow death, the decision is bewildering when there are so many other issues that need attention.

Dont have any skin here. Did love the home finals. Had atmosphere.

Will be interested to see if the APL will back down or not. What a terrible decision and terrible marketing of said decision. Misrepresenting Goodwin, the terrible Q&A and the whole shebang.

Be a brave(stupid) man to carry through here. Every fan and player seems to be against this.

What I don't get is, sure you get a fixed income for the grand final. But wouldn't hosting a sell-out in Adelaide bring in just as much income(or close enough) than an Adelaide home grand final in Sydney.
I think they're still planning on getting a big crowd, plus the up-front cash from the NSW Govt.

There's 3 Sydney teams, so there's still a good chance a Sydney team makes it, especially if the refs are on-board.

Does anyone other than what the A-League have said actually think that ANY neutrals would travel to Sydney from interstate or even from the other side of Sydney? Does anyone know anyone who would say "you know what, even if my team doesn't make the final, I think trudging up to Sydney for a weekend for the A League grand final is a good idea.

Can you even buy tickets to the game yet? Or are people supposed to plan and book ahead but still not get tickets until the week of the game, so if it ends up being a Sydney Derby you still can't go?

The video where he says the home team gets to pick the dressing room for an advantage is something David Brent couldn’t have come up with.
Or Larry David. This slays me every time I watch it.

I think they're still planning on getting a big crowd, plus the up-front cash from the NSW Govt.

There's 3 Sydney teams, so there's still a good chance a Sydney team makes it, especially if the refs are on-board.

Does anyone other than what the A-League have said actually think that ANY neutrals would travel to Sydney from interstate or even from the other side of Sydney? Does anyone know anyone who would say "you know what, even if my team doesn't make the final, I think trudging up to Sydney for a weekend for the A League grand final is a good idea.

Can you even buy tickets to the game yet? Or are people supposed to plan and book ahead but still not get tickets until the week of the game, so if it ends up being a Sydney Derby you still can't go?

The big flaws in the argument like "the FA cup is held at Wembley every year"

• the semis are held over a month before the final, so heaps of time to work out logistics and tickets
  • Wembley is at worst a 5 hour drive/train (to Newcastle) so anyone in England can day trip it if they want to.

Yet the geniuses figure that people will spend bucket loads of cash in a few days between the prelim and final.

Or more to the point they don't care as they've got a few bucks from the NSW govt.

'We want to create a tradition of a pilgrimage like going to Wembley for the Cup'

Also
'We have 3 stadiums to choose from and we'll decide which one is appropriate based on how shitty we think the crowd is going to be'.

And when exactly will they do that? A few days before the game once they know who's in it. How does that work with presales before the event? Crazy stuff.

Maybe we should alter the finals series so there's is guaranteed to be a NSW side in the GF so we can have atmosphere at the games.

And when exactly will they do that? A few days before the game once they know who's in it. How does that work with presales before the event? Crazy stuff.

Maybe we should alter the finals series so there's is guaranteed to be a NSW side in the GF so we can have atmosphere at the games.

Please please remove that bit immediately. Dont want APL or the sydney media getting wind of that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'We want to create a tradition of a pilgrimage like going to Wembley for the Cup'

Also
'We have 3 stadiums to choose from and we'll decide which one is appropriate based on how shitty we think the crowd is going to be'.
Also
"After the three year period we'll invite other cities to bid for the Grand Final"

Nix's response:

Kia ora Andonis1997,

The following is a club statement in response to the Australian Professional Leagues' announcement that the A-Leagues grand finals will be played in Sydney for the next three years:

Ever since the Wellington Phoenix was founded in 2007, we, like all of you, have dreamed of hosting a grand final in Wellington. For the next three years it will not be possible.

We as a club understand the commercial benefits for the Australian Professional Leagues (APL) for signing this deal with Destination NSW, even if this is contradictory to the interests of our fans.

To be clear, the agreement was reached by the APL board, which includes representatives from A-League clubs. The Wellington Phoenix were not involved in the decision making.

We have always tried to represent our fans as best as we can. Without you there is no match day, no passion and ultimately no club.

Our preference is that both the men’s and women’s A-League grand finals are played in the city of the highest ranked qualifier, as has been the case up until now.

However, the Wellington Phoenix understands the financial pressures of professional sport and the A-League. In the short term this funding model works for the league.

Under this model we will do our very best to make sure our fans who want to attend a grand final are given every opportunity to.
Ngā mihi,

Wellington Phoenix FC - COYN!

Basically Melbourne Victory's stance.

Yeah sounds like all the clubs have read the room to the reaction by fans and on the socials that this is a bad idea and have handballed the blame to Townsend! Even through they all have representation on the APL board and knew the decision was coming.
Nix's response:

Kia ora Andonis1997,

The following is a club statement in response to the Australian Professional Leagues' announcement that the A-Leagues grand finals will be played in Sydney for the next three years:

Ever since the Wellington Phoenix was founded in 2007, we, like all of you, have dreamed of hosting a grand final in Wellington. For the next three years it will not be possible.

We as a club understand the commercial benefits for the Australian Professional Leagues (APL) for signing this deal with Destination NSW, even if this is contradictory to the interests of our fans.

To be clear, the agreement was reached by the APL board, which includes representatives from A-League clubs. The Wellington Phoenix were not involved in the decision making.

We have always tried to represent our fans as best as we can. Without you there is no match day, no passion and ultimately no club.

Our preference is that both the men’s and women’s A-League grand finals are played in the city of the highest ranked qualifier, as has been the case up until now.

However, the Wellington Phoenix understands the financial pressures of professional sport and the A-League. In the short term this funding model works for the league.

Under this model we will do our very best to make sure our fans who want to attend a grand final are given every opportunity to.
Ngā mihi,

Wellington Phoenix FC - COYN!

Basically Melbourne Victory's stance.

I’ve tried to find this out but no luck. Who actually is on the APL Board? Which clubs are represented of the five club directors on the board?

I’ve tried to find this out but no luck. Who actually is on the APL Board? Which clubs are represented of the five club directors on the board?
Australian Professional Leagues (APL) Board:
Paul Lederer (Wanderers, Chair)
Danny Townsend (CEO)
Simon Pearce (Melb City)
Anthony di Pietro (Melb Victory)
Scott Barlow (Syd FC)
Chris Fong (Brisbane)
Stephen Evans (Silver Lake)
Ebru Köksal (FA)

2 independents to be appointed.

Very east coast dominated.
You would have to question if this would have gone through if WA, SA and NZ had seats on the board?

It was floating around on twitter yesterday, I'll try to find it. Some of the clubs are Victory, SFC & Roar.

EDIT: see above post.

Australian Professional Leagues (APL) Board:
Paul Lederer (Wanderers, Chair)
Danny Townsend (CEO)
Simon Pearce (Melb City)
Anthony di Pietro (Melb Victory)
Scott Barlow (Syd FC)
Chris Fong (Brisbane)
Stephen Evans (Silver Lake)
Ebru Köksal (FA)

2 independents to be appointed.

Very east coast dominated.
You would have to question if this would have gone through if WA, SA and NZ had seats on the board?

Chris Fong from Brisbane has said he had no idea this was happening and the board was not told of it. Supposedly they were meant to meet for a board meeting on Thursday but Townsend rushed this through before it could be voted down. If true, it is a slimy, dickish, campaignerish move from Townsend.

The whole finals system needs a revamp. How half the team make it is a joke and makes a mockery of the entire 28 weeks(or whatever it is) beforehand.

And it is so short. Have more home and away legs. That is one easy way to make money. An actual experiment on a 2 legged Grand final should have been on the table before this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back