Green announces retirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd prefer to see Greeny stick around the club
Sure that'd be great too but there's plenty of time for him to come back to the club in due course.

I just think GW$ try to be too clever for their own good some times and if they think getting Green would make a statement ala Junior then let them. Green wins nobody else cares we all move on.

Sure that'd be great too but there's plenty of time for him to come back to the club in due course.

I just think GW$ try to be too clever for their own good some times and if they think getting Green would make a statement ala Junior then let them. Green wins nobody else cares we all move on.

Nobody else cares? Disagree

The media would be champing at the bit for another "club champion" to be "sacked" and continue elsewhere

The wolves are already at the door

Nobody else cares? Disagree

The media would be champing at the bit for another "club champion" to be "sacked" and continue elsewhere

The wolves are already at the door

The idiots are at the door - the people who matter ie supporters and club would give Greeny their blessings IMO and not be phased 1 bit. I wish him all the best no matter what path he takes - he's earned it. Sheedy would love to make a thing out of it but the football world has moved on from their bs antics.

If the difference between how Green is remembered as an MFC footballer is based on whether he goes to GW$ or not then that just shows how many people need to get a grip.

In any case most people in the media don't give a toss anyway, they just have to ham it up to sell papers or keep in the spotlight.

We let McDonald go at the right time and now is the right time for Green to go. Both had great careers at MFC, captained the club and achieved 250 games. If not for an expansion team desperate for other teams crumbs and an arsehat in charge by the name of Sheedy we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The idiots are at the door - the people who matter ie supporters and club would give Greeny their blessings IMO and not be phased 1 bit. I wish him all the best no matter what path he takes - he's earned it. Sheedy would love to make a thing out of it but the football world has moved on from their bs antics.

If the difference between how Green is remembered as an MFC footballer is based on whether he goes to GW$ or not then that just shows how many people need to get a grip.

In any case most people in the media don't give a toss anyway, they just have to ham it up to sell papers or keep in the spotlight.

We let McDonald go at the right time and now is the right time for Green to go. Both had great careers at MFC, captained the club and achieved 250 games. If not for an expansion team desperate for other teams crumbs and an arsehat in charge by the name of Sheedy we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I think the right decision was made with McDonald, his time was well and truly up and no one will every convince me otherwise.

Greeny, I thought he could've gone 1 more year in a FP, but if he's called it curtains, so be it

I also understand that if he got a playing / coaching role at GWS good for him, however, I think it would give the idiotic media ammo to say another club legend was sacked before his time was up.

I'd like Greeny to retire just to shut them all up and not have another 12 months - 2 years of hearing how we pushed another favourite son

I agree R and B - you only have to see the generally classy treatment Junior received in Round 13 (mild applause, etc, especially compared to Scully) to show that most of the MFC supporter base acknowledge that he was/is a Demon at heart (leaving aside the potentially nasty pushed/forced rumours, of which we don't know the full story yet).

Can't see why it would be any different for Green.

Having said all that, however, if it comes down to a matter of coin (rather than extension of playing career) I'd at least hope the MFC can offer Green some sort of role that could keep him around the club.

I agree R and B - you only have to see the generally classy treatment Junior received in Round 13 (mild applause, etc, especially compared to Scully) to show that most of the MFC supporter base acknowledge that he was/is a Demon at heart (leaving aside the potentially nasty pushed/forced rumours, of which we don't know the full story yet).

Can't see why it would be any different for Green.

Having said all that, however, if it comes down to a matter of coin (rather than extension of playing career) I'd at least hope the MFC can offer Green some sort of role that could keep him around the club.

I'm not adverse to Greeny continuing an opportunity there, I'm adverse to the media bollocksing we'll receive

I also understand that if he got a playing / coaching role at GWS good for him, however, I think it would give the idiotic media ammo to say another club legend was sacked before his time was up.

I'd like Greeny to retire just to shut them all up and not have another 12 months - 2 years of hearing how we pushed another favourite son

I completely understand where you're coming from but I think a lot of people are just over it - this sort of crap in the media is getting tiresome and only muckrakers with nothing better to do will keep it alive.

In the mean time we'll advance our list with FA/trades, boost the squad from 60% fitness to over 90% in the off-season and be a fresh team next year. Most people know where our club is headed wrt age and also how many forward options (when not injured) we have to chose from and develop.

That's why if Brad did go to GWS I'd just laugh at Sheedy and anyone else for that matter trying to get mileage and say to Brad take 'em for all they're worth mate.

I completely understand where you're coming from but I think a lot of people are just over it - this sort of crap in the media is getting tiresome and only muckrakers with nothing better to do will keep it alive.

In the mean time we'll advance our list with FA/trades, boost the squad from 60% fitness to over 90% in the off-season and be a fresh team next year. Most people know where our club is headed wrt age and also how many forward options (when not injured) we have to chose from and develop.

That's why if Brad did go to GWS I'd just laugh at Sheedy and anyone else for that matter trying to get mileage and say to Brad take 'em for all their worth mate.

I think WE are over it. Is the football community at large?

I know it's meaningless drivel, but I'm tired of hearing s**t like this about the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think WE are over it. Is the football community at large?

I know it's meaningless drivel, but I'm tired of hearing s**t like this about the club

The football community at large will eat up any crap that is spoon-fed to them on any given day and then move on in due course for "dessert".

The idiots are inconsequential to where our great club is headed.

Anyone with a level head would realise that this sort of thing is becoming more and more common in AFL - the money is bigger than even 5 yrs ago and the competitive bug has never been bigger. There will always be veteran players who want to go on in footy because of what the game and club means to them.

Cornes, Brogan, Power, McDonald are simply the lucky ones to get a 2nd wind at a franchise club. Many are catching on to this reality but those dragging their knuckles will take a little bit longer to figure it out - they are of no concern.

Fallacy: MFC are a ruthles club with no respect for their veterans and loyal servants and treat them harshly at the end of their careers when they could easily play on.

Reality: MFC are no different to any other club in it's list management and it is a credit to players like Green and McDonald (as well as the club) that upon retirement they find it so hard to move on due to their love of the game and the long time bonds they have made at the club.

The football community at large will eat up any crap that is spoon-fed to them on any given day and then move on in due course for "dessert".

The idiots are inconsequential to where our great club is headed.

Anyone with a level head would realise that this sort of thing is becoming more and more common in AFL - the money is bigger than even 5 yrs ago and the competitive bug has never been bigger. There will always be veteran players who want to go on in footy because of what the game and club means to them.

Cornes, Brogan, Power, McDonald are simply the lucky ones to get a 2nd wind at a franchise club. Many are catching on to this reality but those dragging their knuckles will take a little bit longer to figure it out - they are of no concern.

Fallacy: MFC are a ruthles club with no respect for their veterans and loyal servants and treat them harshly at the end of their careers when they could easily play on.

Reality: MFC are no different to any other club in it's list management and it is a credit to players like Green and McDonald (as well as the club) that upon retirement they find it so hard to move on due to their love of the game and the long time bonds they have made at the club.

An excellent post, and I sincerely wish that's the way it was viewed as a whole

Greens last game at the G and our last for the year, hoping everyone who can make it comes along despite the horse s**t timeslot

good luck to the great man after footy, has been a pleasure to watch him play over the last decade and a bit

Can actually confirm it WAS Brad's decision

Recently when that Half Wit Jesse Hogan from the age wrote this the club called him for a please explain

His response "it was just a gut feel"

This came from a Melbourne board members mouth

What a spanker. Can't believe the bs we're copping atm. :mad:

Another piece of info, Fatprick Smith wrote an article about McLardy which was not in an overly nice light

McLardy rang him and basically said "Hi, I'm Don McLardy. Seeing as though you're going to write this sort of stuff about me I thought I should introduce myself, seeing as thought we've never met or spoken"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back