Vic "Gridlock" Dan Andrews

Remove this Banner Ad

And it has nothing to do with the fact the the state govt employs two professions in massive numbers which women dominate - teachers and nurses
I think you’d probably find that even outside those two groups, women are still disproportionately represented

It has a lot to do with insanely favourable maternity leave provisions

I think you’d probably find that even outside those two groups, women are still disproportionately represented

It has a lot to do with insanely favourable maternity leave provisions

Yeah, a years leave for having a kid is insane. How dare they!!!

Yeah, a years leave for having a kid is insane. How dare they!!!
A year plus FACS leave plus temporary reduction from full-time hours until the kid goes to school. And if you have another kid it resets.

I have seen people holding permanent full-time jobs who haven’t worked a 40 hour week in over a decade. Every year they get to decide how much they want to work for the next 12 months, with no repercussions to their substantive position.

It’s an incredibly cushy gig compared to the private sector and I’m not surprised that women gravitate to it. I would.

A year plus FACS leave plus temporary reduction from full-time hours until the kid goes to school. And if you have another kid it resets.

I have seen people holding permanent full-time jobs who haven’t worked a 40 hour week in over a decade. Every year they get to decide how much they want to work for the next 12 months, with no repercussions to their substantive position.

It’s an incredibly cushy gig compared to the private sector and I’m not surprised that women gravitate to it. I would.

isnt that NSW?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NSW have it, thought Victoria did too

If not there are comparable lurks

Public service is very cushy for maternity

Fwiw the depts I've dealt with everyone is back in a year or less. This idea you have of people joining the public service just to get pregnant is batty. It's just that they don't sack people for getting pregnant (and in my book re-engineering your role to encourage you to quit is sacking you, and it's something I've seen done a bit in the private sector)

Fwiw the depts I've dealt with everyone is back in a year or less. This idea you have of people joining the public service just to get pregnant is batty. It's just that they don't sack people for getting pregnant (and in my book re-engineering your role to encourage you to quit is sacking you, and it's something I've seen done a bit in the private sector)
Maternity leave & flexible working arrangements in the public sector are far better than the private sector on average, that's the main appeal of working for the private sector and likely why many people (not just women) seek those jobs out when they reach their 30's and realise that their priorities are more than just working. "Joining the public service just to get pregnant" is probably an overstatement but taking a job in the public sector which has a better balance between work and family life is not.

It's like in my profession, when men get sick of working every day they go and get a job at a council.

If the Victorian public service follows the same trend as the federal public service I've looked into then it is heavily populated by women but the management is filled with more men.

So there's something to get upset about.
Given Dans propensity to use women as scape goats and his enabling of the bullying of female ministers, it would not be surprising to see less women in senior roles or at least a higher turnover.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would say lots of women want to work at a place they aren't treated like lepers for having a baby.

Yeah brilliant. Tell a small business they have to hold a job open for years with no clue as to whether someone will come back and then face extra costs or unfair dismissal.

But why would Dan give a stuff? He has ZERO skin in the game. Just another B.Origami type who believes in the magic money tree.

NSW have it, thought Victoria did too but perhaps I am remembering wrong

If not there are comparable lurks

Public service is very cushy for maternity compared to the private sector

IIRC its extraordinarily generous re teachers in Vic.

You said small business?

Yes. Extending public sector maternity rules to small business would crush huge numbers of businesses. Even so many small businesses do not want to hire young women due to the cost of maternity leave. With two equal candidates the rational choice is for a male over a woman who is likely to have one or more children. They also tend to do better re employment tribunals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back