GST

Remove this Banner Ad

I see people would rather moan as simple minded little colonials. The problem is this stupid state v state mentality.

The Fed gument tried to force the power thing on Tassie but its the same here, lack of competition would kill us. Other states have gone down the gambling path. Bloody poker machines.
We were doing well with renewable energy here but Abbott has killed that off.

I think Barnett should show us the budget situation. Just complaining is only going to get local support. Showing the budget expenditure & deficit would get more understanding & support I would think.

I think the situation is pretty clear, a massive, unforeseen fall in iron ore prices plus a reduction in WA's GST share below 30c in the dollar is obviously leading a significant hit on WA's budget. I'm not suggesting that Barnett is immune from any responsibility, he has overstretched assuming the boom would continue, but how anyone could justify that a 30c return is fair for any state in good times let alone bad times is hard to believe.

SA have a mass of Uranium that has been left used due to national politics. The car industry has been killed by Abbott.

Tas has always had problems with the cost of exporting through the expensive Port of Melbourne. The $A going over parity has really hit our economy. Just look at Caterpillar in Burnie. It is slowly starting to recover but the rip off in export costs still hurts. We get ripped off with poor & expensive internet services. Some talk of linking into a new international cable going south of the island might force some competition. Tassie forests, like SA uranium is controlled by national politics.

So maybe look at the position of other places before you foam up.
Abbott didn't kill the car industry. Holden, Ford and Toyota had already made up their mind. The writing was on the wall 20yrs ago when none of them even gave it much of a thought to make a new generation car. Unfortunately, making 20,000 units in Australia is not as viable compared to producing millions of the same unit overseas. It is one of the cold hard realities of life.

SA have a mass of Uranium that has been left used due to national politics. The car industry has been killed by Abbott.

Tas has always had problems with the cost of exporting through the expensive Port of Melbourne. The $A going over parity has really hit our economy. Just look at Caterpillar in Burnie. It is slowly starting to recover but the rip off in export costs still hurts. We get ripped off with poor & expensive internet services. Some talk of linking into a new international cable going south of the island might force some competition. Tassie forests, like SA uranium is controlled by national politics.

So maybe look at the position of other places before you foam up.

Are you saying that green policy doesn't hold these states back (not to be confused with environmental protection). & years to approve a hole that already exists? Surely SA can't put its hand on its heart and say it tried with Olympic Dam.

Then construction........the Myer Centre and the Hospital being two of the most expensive buildings ever built in the all of the world's history. Surely you jest when you say there is nothing wrong with SA and Tassie if you think that doesn't raise alarm bells.

Both states need to take a long look at themselves. In the mean time, Australia should stop pork barrelling these peasant mentality states.

it was much tougher when the exchange rate was appreciating rapidly due to a certain states mining boom.

our federal government f'd up by spending way too much during the boom. As a result the federal reserve responded by keeping interest rates higher than need be and thus seeing the higher than need be FX.

Rudd actions have gutted our industry and made it even harder for some states to compete.

Are you saying that green policy doesn't hold these states back (not to be confused with environmental protection). & years to approve a hole that already exists? Surely SA can't put its hand on its heart and say it tried with Olympic Dam.

Then construction........the Myer Centre and the Hospital being two of the most expensive buildings ever built in the all of the world's history. Surely you jest when you say there is nothing wrong with SA and Tassie if you think that doesn't raise alarm bells.

Both states need to take a long look at themselves. In the mean time, Australia should stop pork barrelling these peasant mentality states.

Anger blinded Comments from a bitter troll.

I think most on here can see who has the peasant mentality.

States with more mixed economys have suffered badly from the high $A.

Paul Keating said we couldn't rely on selling a mound of rock of a bit of wool. He was right, then & now. Our Dumb politicians clearly didnt listen or realise the value of his approach. More clearly WA didnt. Blinded by riches.

our federal government f'd up by spending way too much during the boom. As a result the federal reserve responded by keeping interest rates higher than need be and thus seeing the higher than need be FX.

Rudd actions have gutted our industry and made it even harder for some states to compete.

Rudd's actions? Like responding to the Global Economic Crisis by successfully keeping us out of recession.

Again a very jaundiced view of causes & events.

I think a less bitter view & more balanced approach to the discussion might help you get your points across, whatever they are.

Take 2 aspros & call me in the morning.

Anger blinded Comments from a bitter troll.

I think most on here can see who has the peasant mentality.

States with more mixed economys have suffered badly from the high $A.

Paul Keating said we couldn't rely on selling a mound of rock of a bit of wool. He was right, then & now. Our Dumb politicians clearly didnt listen or realise the value of his approach. More clearly WA didnt. Blinded by riches.

Rudd's actions? Like responding to the Global Economic Crisis by successfully keeping us out of recession.

Again a very jaundiced view of causes & events.

I think a less bitter view & more balanced approach to the discussion might help you get your points across, whatever they are.

Take 2 aspros & call me in the morning.

are you listening to yourself?

who is the one getting $0.30 in the dollar? yes your right it is good to have a diversified economy but that includes a strong primary industry evidenced by the $0.30 in the dollar vs the "suffered from a high AUD". by the way, mining also had to suffer through the high AUD. Imagine who good our economy could have been if rudd didn't overcook the stimulus......the stimulus we will take 2 generations to pay off.

rudd......lol

are you listening to yourself?

who is the one getting $0.30 in the dollar? yes your right it is good to have a diversified economy but that includes a strong primary industry evidenced by the $0.30 in the dollar vs the "suffered from a high AUD". by the way, mining also had to suffer through the high AUD. Imagine who good our economy could have been if rudd didn't overcook the stimulus......the stimulus we will take 2 generations to pay off.

rudd......lol

Read through your own posts for a look at attitude.

What Rudd/Swan did was Rudd did was supported by the majority of economists at the time. I've said before, yes it was done in haste which saved jobs (read families & small businesses) but mistakes were made. The USA did the same thing as well. But I guess you know best.

Given the massive income, What did WA do with it?

Probably Pissed it up against the wall like Howard/Costello did with their financial position:cry:

Saul Eslake is no dick.

I've had a bit to do with Saul over the years and I like him and respect much of what he says.

But he does have biases and he does have agendas both personally and on behalf of the interests he represents. He also knows how to play to the crowd.

I've had a bit to do with Saul over the years and I like him and respect much of what he says.

But he does have biases and he does have agendas both personally and on behalf of the interests he represents. He also knows how to play to the crowd.

Yes, Its called politics. :p

He certainly wants a Tassie team in the AFL. I'll support him in that at least!

What Rudd/Swan did was Rudd did was supported by the majority of economists at the time. I've said before, yes it was done in haste which saved jobs (read families & small businesses) but mistakes were made. The USA did the same thing as well. But I guess you know best.

Probably Pissed it up against the wall like Howard/Costello did with their financial position:cry:

Howard & Costello gave tax cuts at a time the economy could afford & they put the money aside that was used during the GFC.

Since then both sides of politics have refused to tell us they dont have the money to do what lots of people want, want, want ...

You must be one of the political class madmug to misrepresent simple history .. the political class have failed the country since Howard & Costello were shown the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about we just roll both of them into Victoria.

I voted in the recent Vic election, what a disparate bunch of nobody, no policy, candidates - a Govt was elected devoid of economic growth initiatives until 2018, fair dinkum 2018. We had a choice between no one & no body & got both.

Members of political parties are rare beasts & they are failing us, failing people like me, given I leave it to others on the basis that I could never, ever, sign up to a political party as I have done to different footy clubs in WA, SA, Vic & Q before the game went national. It is a comparable dynamic SADLY. Yep its me being self indulgent, BUT how could anyone accept the ideology peddled by the Libs, Labor or the Greens, you would need more faith than any religious belief I've ever seen paddled.

Last edited:
I voted in the recent Vic election, what a disparate bunch of nobody, no policy, candidates - a Govt was elected devoid of economic growth initiatives until 2018, fair dinkum 2018. We had a choice between no one & no body & got both.

Members of political parties are rare beasts & they are failing us, failing people like me, given I leave it to others on the basis that I could never, ever, sign up to a political party as I have done to different footy clubs in WA, SA, Vic & Q before the game went national. It is a comparable dynamic SADLY. Yep its me being self indulgent, BUT how could anyone accept the ideology peddled by the Libs, Labor or the Greens, you would need more faith than any religious belief I've ever seen paddled.

Does Victoria have anything going for it economically other than population?

another quick look over there

nothing re other states lack of effort generating revenue or strengthening their own economy

nothing about over cooking the stimulus, forcing the fx up and killing off industry

nothing about $0.30 in the dollar and whether that is equitable

nothing but fanboi crap

perhaps you could comment on

“State governments should receive funding from the pool of GST revenue such that, after allowing for material factors affecting revenues and expenditures, each would have the fiscal capacity to provide services and the associated infrastructure at the same standard, if each made the same effort to raise revenue from its own sources and operated at the same level of efficiency.”

Does Victoria have anything going for it economically other than population?

Sydney & Melbourne are strong economic centres. Part of it is to do with the population size but they have high tech & research based industries, as well as some manufacturing. Education, health & tourism are big economic drivers in both.

Theirs more to generating wealth that digging up stuff you know.

perhaps you could comment on

“State governments should receive funding from the pool of GST revenue such that, after allowing for material factors affecting revenues and expenditures, each would have the fiscal capacity to provide services and the associated infrastructure at the same standard, if each made the same effort to raise revenue from its own sources and operated at the same level of efficiency.”
I was thinking NZ

Maybe we should roll NT into WA, then you can get their GST.

See, easy fixed:rolleyes:

Maybe we should roll NT into WA, then you can get their GST.

See, easy fixed:rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind that

WA, NT, Qld to form a new nation

NSW, Vic and Tassie another

SA to be given a choice which way to go but if they join WA, they would have to live within the spirit of the GST being "the same effort to raise revenue from its own sources". I might be harsh on SA but it should be a powerhouse economy given their abundant natural resources in agriculture, mining and energy. They just need to loose the welfare mentality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back