GST

Remove this Banner Ad

Federal systems eg Switzerland, Germany, US work far better than centralised government.

The answer is simple.

State income tax (and obviously a reduction in Federal income tax).

Competition and choice are marvellous things. See payroll tax for what would happen.

the only reason we went to a federal tax was to pay for ww2. the threat of Nazism has gone but we are left with a tax system that is no longer relevant.

More money should be spent on the Eastern states, as that is where it is nicer to live.

Federal systems eg Switzerland, Germany, US work far better than centralised government.

The answer is simple.

State income tax (and obviously a reduction in Federal income tax).

Competition and choice are marvellous things. See payroll tax for what would happen.
What does the constitution say about your simple answer Meds?
You're a Mencken fan; remind me what he said about complex problems and simple solutions ...

I agree with all of this, but recent history has shown that the voting public generally don't look at the nuances of policy, preferring instead the three word slogan. The Coalition will have to tread carefully here.

Spot on, they railed against the evil carbon tax but failed to notice the tax free threshold change in their favour. I'd be happy with the raising of a GST with the abolition of stamp duty but it'll be political suicide.

Spot on, they railed against the evil carbon tax but failed to notice the tax free threshold change in their favour. I'd be happy with the raising of a GST with the abolition of stamp duty but it'll be political suicide.

your probably right but I would love to see:

- states generating greater income through an increase in GST from 10% to 15% staging the increase over a reasonable period (ie 2.5% intervals over 5 years) and applied on all gods and services
- Social security benefits would need to be adjusted to reflect the increased cost burden
- states replacing transaction taxes on property with an annual tax on all land (not just investment blocks). Obviously land taxes would be a % of the land valuation with a higher rate applied to undeveloped property to penalise land banking with no intention of development.
Transaction taxes are stopping the elderly down sizing and preventing families changing address to reflect the change in their lifestyles.

Three little letters that has caused so much political heartache over the past 30 years.

We may as well have a thread on it as it seems that this will be a recurring topic of discussion over the term of this Parliament.

I personally don't want to hear any excuses, if the GST rises or broadens then Stamp Duty has to be consigned to history. No ifs or buts about it.

For tax reform to be credible it has to be relatively revenue neutral.

FYI the GST is meant to be adjusted but given how difficult it would be to change I can not see it happening, especially in the first term.

A GST is a KPI on business activity so it is in the government interest to promote productivity, but that point was lost on the ALP who think tax reform is about introducing new pointless taxes.

If people are dumb enough to smoke they deserve to be charged extra for it given how much they cost the health system.

That is BS, the money collected from that goes into general revenue.

FYI I am non-smoker who cares little about high taxes on such.

More money should be spent on the Eastern states, as that is where it is nicer to live.

It is hard to argue with that. sydney's harbour is beautiful, melbourne's food is the best, adelaide has wonderful day trips to the wine regions and brisbane is just a flight away from somewhere nice.

but I just feel pity every time I go east.

living in perth is like living in the heyday of the great east india companies where western australians are looking to link up global capital for global opportunities.The excitement, risks and opportunities leads to experiences, friendships and an outlook are unparalleled to anywhere else in Australia. Not to mention Perth weather has to be the best in the land (except the last month).

I wouldn't trade our $5 coffees for better melbourne one, if I had to give up what really made Perth special and that's outlook.

After that spiel I have changed my position, WA should give its GST to the plebs of the east but they should be forced to come across and see Rome being built.

If people are dumb enough to smoke they deserve to be charged extra for it given how much they cost the health system.

that's why so many smokers see it is an unfair tax.

They see it solely as a tax on stupidity rather than a tax on a health. They are essentially saying its not fair as they were born that way (clarification: born stupid not smokers).

What it is though is a tax on being inconsiderate and selfish. How many smokers just light up anywhere and consider their own selfish needs over others? we had to pass laws to guide behaviour:
- do not smoke at petrol stations (aw derr)
- do not smoke in elevators
- do not smoke in doors (so they stood at the door)
- do not stand within 5m of the door (so they stand by the paint)
- do not on public transport
- do not smoke with your kids in the car (lol, they don't even care for their kids)
- do not smoke in restaurants (whilst others are eating)

I would normally go into bat for the stupid as they are not in a position to help themselves but it is a little hard to have sympathy for the inconsiderate and selfish.

Pretty shitty version of Rome.

It is still being built and unfortunately it will take 50 - 100 years so we want get to see it. Anyway, if you want to see Rome, go to Rome.

If you want to know what it felt like when it was being built......come to Perth and get involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Perth is going to be the centre of Western civilisation and a beacon of enlightenment.

I don't think Perth is going to be the centre of Western civilisation and a beacon of enlightenment.

I am positive that it will be.

The only difference is Rome had barbarians to the north, where ours our to the east.

We are sending a battalion of just 22 young men to concur the barbarians next Saturday. I hope they do us proud!

Perth has a lot of stuff going for it, but the outlook of the locals is not one of them. Insular, provincial and backwards-looking. Their city has a wonderful location and huge resources to draw from in the region, yet all they do is piss and moan about t'othersiders filling up the place and how the city is already too big.

I quite enjoyed the time I spent working there, and I'd be more than happy to pour money into the place if they had any sort of vision for the future, but one suspects they'd much rather everybody went away and left them to enjoy their large country town. It is a shame because it could become one of Australia's major cities.

Stamp duty isn't a great tax but a higher GST is worse and more regressive. No thanks.

Perth has a lot of stuff going for it, but the outlook of the locals is not one of them. Insular, provincial and backwards-looking. Their city has a wonderful location and huge resources to draw from in the region, yet all they do is piss and moan about t'othersiders filling up the place and how the city is already too big.

I quite enjoyed the time I spent working there, and I'd be more than happy to pour money into the place if they had any sort of vision for the future, but one suspects they'd much rather everybody went away and left them to enjoy their large country town. It is a shame because it could become one of Australia's major cities.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Sure there are muppets in any state but the Perthinites I meet are globally focused, positive, embrace change, opportunistic, can do attitude, optimistic and positive about the future.

A lot of people cite the wealth of WA is because of WA resources, but the majority of people have made their wealth from global opportunities (mainly resources though). I can't think of any place more global and if it was still just a big country town why is it supporting the rest of Australia?

I could accept your comments if you are talking about backward looking places like Freo (nice but interested in the past not the future) but not the majority of Perth. It is the fact that we are so isolated which means we must look global to be on the map at all.

I am sure you can find examples in Perth that support your comments but that probably suggests you didn't experience what is happening in Perth whilst you were here.

Zoning laws, daylight saving time, trading hours, cultural development... the whole attitude of the place is ridiculously anti-change and inward-looking.

Infrastructure planning shows exactly where their priorities lie. This is a state that will happily commit to blowing a couple of billion on a new stadium, but trying to get a few hundred million out of them to start the airport redevelopment takes years. Says it all really.

People with lower income spend a higher percentage of that income on goods and services. This then means that consumption taxes end up taxing people on lower income a higher percentage of their income than those on higher incomes, the exact opposite of how a tax should work.

People with lower income spend a higher percentage of that income on goods and services. This then means that consumption taxes end up taxing people on lower income a higher percentage of their income than those on higher incomes, the exact opposite of how a tax should work.

That is a fair comment.

Any increase in GST needs to considered with social security and minimum wage considerations.

Not to mention gst exemptions like imports under the threshold need to be removed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back