Gumby retires

Remove this Banner Ad

What incredibly bad luck. I'll give him this: Gumby worked his ass off in the preseason and then at WAFL level to try and make it into the squad. He may have never played an official regular season game for us, but he behaved like a model recruit, from all accounts from teammates and management. He deserved better, but his body betrayed him.

Sad to see a guy with his potential not realise it
He could do untold damage to Essendon now if he decides to turn snitch

You just hope that he has better luck with whatever he chooses to do next in life, because he was nothing short of cursed in his AFL career.

Enormously talented and in the end unfulfilled, due to circumstances wholly beyond his control.

Damned shame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is such a nice guy too, so sad :( I really wanted it to work out for him. My roommate knows him quite well and he seemed so nice when I met him a little while ago. Really loved being back at Peel

Pity, but not unexpected.

Looks like we'll be drafting at least 1 tall this year with him & Kep both gone, have Essendon got any more talls we can poach?

Best of luck to the big guy with whatever he goes on to do after footy.
We are not getting Tayte Pears only for the same thing to happen. Wouldn't think any of the others would be on the table.

If this year has shown anything. We're better off backing our own recruiters in then going after other teams players. (Unless the afl decides to give us COLA)

We are not getting Tayte Pears only for the same thing to happen. Wouldn't think any of the others would be on the table.

If this year has shown anything. We're better off backing our own recruiters in then going after other teams players. (Unless the afl decides to give us COLA)
At the risk of derailing the thread - I was only kidding. I'm sure we'll nab a tall or 2 this November.

Its just not meant to be it seems. Can tell that he is really keen to play for us, and we needed someone like him in our forward line. The body just couldn't handle it in the end. Wish him better luck outside of footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back