Guy McKenna sacked as Gold Coast coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Think he should have 1 more season - probably would have played finals if not for GAJ's injury. Will be one of the coaches going into 2015 with a bit of pressure (assuming he isn't sacked).

He doesn't strike me as an effective coach. Hell, he pulled up Harbrow after a s**t match (they lost pretty badly so it's not like he was alone) and called him out in front of the team by saying that he was s**t and was the reason why the Bulldogs lost three prelims in a row.

He doesn't strike me as an effective coach. Hell, he pulled up Harbrow after a s**t match (they lost pretty badly so it's not like he was alone) and called him out in front of the team by saying that he was s**t and was the reason why the Bulldogs lost three prelims in a row.
Sounds no different to Ross Lyon calling out D Pearce. Harbrow strikes me as a guy who needs a reality check every now and then. Great talent, inconsistent results.

Yeah, that got under my skin as well. Hearing things like that and then seeing games like the second one against Brisbane that should've been an easy win even without Ablett, and throwing in the towel from the opening siren, really doesn't leave me with a lot of faith that Bluey is the guy who can get the kids preparing and playing like a premiership team.

They should replace him with either Goodwin, Richardson or Simpson as they're all highly overrated enough to win their clubs 10 premierships.

What's the bet they make a similar "upgrade" to those other 3 clubs? I don't think they're stupid they've got big premiership plans they're campaigning towards. It will have to be a proven coach like Lyon, Roos or Bomber somehow, I can't see them turfing Mckenna for a rookie coach. A rookie coach would be far to great a risk at this point in time as their hard campaiging prospects have them "calculated" to win a flag within the next 2yrs because winning flags are that easy and free will in the afl is a joke obviously. We should all just pick 22 Jack Watts's and overlook all the Enright pick 40's and declare a flag in 5yrs because it's just that easy!!

Last edited:
were they expecting a premiership already?

mckennas done very well with their list. give him another season and see how they go.

General opinion seem to be sack him if he's lost the locker room. Players quit at the end of the season, and lost games badly that they had decent chances to win even without Ablett. That's on Bluey. I trust the guys in the meeting to make the right call. Could have just been a bad stroke of luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

General opinion seem to be sack him if he's lost the locker room. Players quit at the end of the season, and lost games badly that they had decent chances to win even without Ablett. That's on Bluey. I trust the guys in the meeting to make the right call. Could have just been a bad stroke of luck.

The players clearly didn't have it at the end of the season. But I would put it down to a couple of other things before blaming the coach:
1. An AFL season is long, and young players in particular often have difficulty keeping consistent levels of intensity for a whole season.
2. I don't think you can underestimate the emotional impact of losing Gaz. For whatever their young guns achieved this year, and whatever they said in public, I'm sure the players would have a pretty firmly held belief that they need him on the field - he is the best player going around, and they have all spent their (short) careers in his shadow. Once things got tough without him, it is easy to see why it all fell away.

Now you can put some of the blame of that on Bluey (particularly as he always talks a bit too glowingly about Gaz)- but a lot of it comes down to the mindset of young players. They have now experienced what its like to have expectations that they haven't met, and how they approach the next 12 months will determine a lot IMO.

I think with what he has achieved with GC so far - I would keep McKenna for at least another year. I see no reason why he won't be the coach to get them into their first finals series next year.
Will he be the coach to take them to the next level up? (ie. Top 4, or more in 2-3 years) - it is too early to say... but I don't think the list is ready for that leap yet anyway.

How can they say whether or not another coach would be better when no other coach has been in his position?
Leon Cameron?

GWS made big strides last year, especially in the second half of the year, whilst GC stagnated a bit. The players at GWS seem to be really developing what the GC boys are just getting by on talent alone. The board have probably done this comparison as well and come to the realisation that McKenna just wont be able to take them any further.

Leon Cameron?

GWS made big strides last year, especially in the second half of the year, whilst GC stagnated a bit. The players at GWS seem to be really developing what the GC boys are just getting by on talent alone. The board have probably done this comparison as well and come to the realisation that McKenna just wont be able to take them any further.
How many wins did GWS have in their 3rd year compared to Gold Coast in their 3rd? I've got it at 8 vs 6.

And yes Gold Coast have Ablett, but also not too many other senior players (Rischitelli, Stanley, Harbrow, Campbell Brown until he was sacked), GWS have Ward, Mumford, Davis, Palmer. GWS also got a boat load more concessions.

Gold Coast have developed better ruckman, developed tall forwards from further back (Lynch, Day and Dixon compared to the freaks GWS drafted with pick 1 or wouldve had Cameron been in a draft).

The only reason to sack McKenna is just a gut feel thing about him and I reckon it's ridiculous.

John Longmire and Worsfold are 2 coaches who I thought were going to be duds at times who both won flags. Everyone turned on Clarko more than once, how did that work out? There's so many reasons to be patient and give McKenna a season to prove himself. Whilst he hasn't been brilliant he's done no harm to the list, culture or development. In that respect he deserves the chance of a 5th year.

If the players have lost faith, then he's gone. It's that simple.
What players?

Are you really going to listen to guys in their first 4 years?

What would Stanley, Harbrow, Warnock, Rischitelli really know about good coaching? They don't even know how to play good football.

As the greatest player in the game, 2 time premiership winner and captain of course you will listen to Ablett's opinion. But stuff the rest.

What players?

Are you really going to listen to guys in their first 4 years?

What would Stanley, Harbrow, Warnock, Rischitelli really know about good coaching? They don't even know how to play good football.

As the greatest player in the game, 2 time premiership winner and captain of course you will listen to Ablett's opinion. But stuff the rest.

Because it's his job to get those players on board. It's not based on their opinion. Them losing faith is an indictment on Bluey. But I'm not aware of what the situation is like that deep in the locker room, so I'm content with letting the board make their decision. There's reasons to fire him, and there's reasons to keep him. Which side is greater requires knowledge we aren't going to get.

Because it's his job to get those players on board. It's not based on their opinion. Them losing faith is an indictment on Bluey. But I'm not aware of what the situation is like that deep in the locker room, so I'm content with letting the board make their decision. There's reasons to fire him, and there's reasons to keep him. Which side is greater requires knowledge we aren't going to get.
It's their job to play football. Particularly the guys in their first 4 years and the senior players who really aren't much chop. How much faith they have in their coach is completely irrelevant. This notion of losing the players is junk. Players can't be lost or found.

Gold Coast spanked North, spanked Geelong, beat Collingwood (when they weren't completely hopeless) with no bench and no Ablett. At that stage of the season everything was going beautifully. A well developed group of younger players and a team heading for great success. To throw that away because a few late losses leaves a sour taste would be such a waste.

If the players have lost faith, then he's gone. It's that simple.

Interesting word that.

Shaun Hart suddenly and surprisingly departed last year.

Gary Ablett rumoured to have defied the Coach in having the shoulder op and now delaying his re-signing.

Zac Smith not competing in games.

Bluey and the God Squad not on same page???

what's his contract? Was it 4 or 5 years?

Much easier to "not renew" a coach than to "sack" them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back