News GWS chased Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

You do realize in 6 weeks he's been gone for 5 years right?

I do admit from time to time I think about how our team would look with GAJ (and Mummy for that matter) but he's gone man..seriously get over it.

Give him time,maybe one day he'll get over it.I just hope I'm still alive in another 40 years to see it.

You won't find many people who think GAJ handled his departure like an absolute knob more than me but this is seriously done to death, he's almost more of a Suns player than a Cats player now in terms of career prestige so let's keep the past in the past?

so balmey leaves for extra money from the pies and we are all sympathetic saying good on him," thats a offer you cannot refuse"

perhaps we should be calling balmey judas too aye?

well done to stevie j.

There's not 4 years left in that body,to me he appears to be one of those players who can push through the pain barrier and just hates to miss games and in so doing pushes his body to the limits, but like Moons or Rooke the end will come quickly for this champion as well and I for one are happy for it to come for him wearing the blue and white hoops so we can give him the send off he deserves when that time arrives,so well done SJ.

so balmey leaves for extra money from the pies and we are all sympathetic saying good on him," thats a offer you cannot refuse"

well done to stevie j.
He is 62 though so this could very well be Balmey's last job.

Fair enough to look for the extra cash, could come in handy during retirement.

he would have been on far more than your average 5 days per week worker anyway. You include the money he stashed away from his playing days as well as coaching etc, I'd say it could come in handy when choosing between the yacht or the winnebago.
No doubt. The thing about money is that no matter how much you have, most people still want more of it. Balmey on a yacht paints a nice picture:)

Well if you want to compare them then there is a big difference - Balme was upfront from the start and told the club he chatted with Collingwood.The other bloke denied talking to other clubs,despite being sprung by Port players when he met GC before the season even started.

Well if you want to compare them then there is a big difference - Balme was upfront from the start and told the club he chatted with Collingwood.The other bloke denied talking to other clubs,despite being sprung by Port players when he met GC before the season even started.

That's a reasonable point to make. I find it pretty hard to be overly annoyed with Balme leaving (no matter what we think of him as club official / media spokesman) if he had kept them informed every step of the way. I've done the same thing when changing jobs. Big difference to fronting up on a Monday and saying "by the way I'm leaving effective immediately".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I'm happy (and somewhat surprised) that SJ knocked back such a lucrative offer, I think it's pretty pathetic to use it as a stick to bash GAJ with, especially when the subject is so dead and buried. I know we all like to believe in loyalty and clubmen but, in reality, if you're offered an exorbitant pay-rise to do the same job at another place, you should probably take that job. People who deny that are being dishonest with themselves or are blinded by tribalism, in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure they weren't allowed to be upfront because it would have been contravening the rules that were in place. He wasn't the only player that was in this position with the new clubs.

sj was offered a mother of all deals last month, 4 years at 850k by gws
For a bloke on 700k on a 2 year contract shows real loyalty and sacrifice

And for all the bananas on this board that claim judas couldn't say no this is just another example of true geelong spirit

Well done sj

Better than judas
The mother of all deals were the Ablett, Franklin or Boyd deals, which all took with a smile, and rightly so.

Whilst I'm happy (and somewhat surprised) that SJ knocked back such a lucrative offer, I think it's pretty pathetic to use it as a stick to bash GAJ with, especially when the subject is so dead and buried. I know we all like to believe in loyalty and clubmen but, in reality, if you're offered an exorbitant pay-rise to do the same job at another place, you should probably take that job. People who deny that are being dishonest with themselves or are blinded by tribalism, in my opinion.
rubbish
it was an example of a player showing loyalty and knocking back at least 1.6 mil
there is no way his body will last 4 years
so he did knock back a huge amount of money
no he is honest with himself, and his primary driver is not coin

chappie on the other hand, was sooking that the team he loves were not paying him enough

rubbish
it was an example of a player showing loyalty and knocking back at least 1.6 mil
there is no way his body will last 4 years
so he did knock back a huge amount of money
no he is honest with himself, and his primary driver is not coin

chappie on the other hand, was sooking that the team he loves were not paying him enough

What a load of s**t. He wasn't offered a fair deal. He was pushed out the door. How people can harp on about the players' loyalty to the club when the club can't show that same loyalty to the players is beyond me.

well done to stevie j.
Did Balmey start up his own web site selling signed photos, that got shut down the day he left Geelong?

lol that was pretty average wasn't it heath
Sure was, but I started getting that "funny vibe" when he released a skills of footy DVD in a red Nike top. Not sure if it was known that was going to be Gold Coasts colours, but I looked at it and thought, at least have a dark blue t-shirt for cats fans. Ah, just got the Heath reference! Heath Scotland, very good Whit3y.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back