GWS in Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs can only sell games to neutral venues, they can't sell games to opposing home locations.

Thanks for the clarification. Does that mean Victorian teams cannot sell a game in Canberra where GWS is the “away” team?
Canberra is a grey zone since technically GWS is selling games to them too, but I suspect the AFL will come down against it on the vibe.

I think we can safely rule out playing a H & A game in LA purely on logistical grounds.

There would be disruptive recovery times from jet lag for ourselves and whoever we were
playing. Major surgery would be needed to the draw.

It's not going to happen.

The teams would just have their bye the week after. It's what the teams did after games in Shanghai.

Canberra is a grey zone since technically GWS is selling games to them too, but I suspect the AFL will come down against it on the vibe.
I had thought this would be a good way to increase games in Canberra - GWS having 3 (with a possibility of a fourth if WS crowds do not improve) annually and the poorer Victorian teams selling a game in Canberra with GWS being the home team - that’s what St Kilds did against Gold Coast in Cairns

The teams would just have their bye the week after. It's what the teams did after games in Shanghai.
Shanghai is three hours behind AEST, the same as Perth. LA is seven hours. There is literally a world of difference in recovery times, both going over, and then coming back.

It's not going to happen.

Is that written anywhere? Hawthorn are exploring playing a "home" game against Tasmania in Launceston once Tasmania joins.
Wouldn't be the first time the AFL introduced a rule to penalise a successful interstate club only to ignore it when convenient later.
I had thought this would be a good way to increase games in Canberra - GWS having 3 (with a possibility of a fourth if WS crowds do not improve) annually and the poorer Victorian teams selling a game in Canberra with GWS being the home team - that’s what St Kilds did against Gold Coast in Cairns
Gold Coast don't have Cairns as a home stadium.

Yes because cutting more games from WS will improve the buy in from the region.

When the Hawks or Norf sell home games to Tasmania, their Melbourne based fans can still get to 12/13 games because they play “away” games at their “home” ground (or just down the road) so it doesn’t disadvantage them as much as us losing 3 games to Canberra.

That said, as an ex-Canberra resident, (who frequently travels back) I like GWS being there - and showing bucketloads more commitment to the region than Norf ever did during their tenure there.

BISP is not an option

Henson park is even less of an option - I don’t go to AFLW games anymore since they started playing there - ridiculous decision.

Stadium Australia is not really an option - I’ve been to league games there with 10/15k and it’s horrible and it gets impacted by the Easter show as well. The ground itself might be available but everything around it isn’t.

SCG is kind of an option - but a stupid one IMO

The Easter Show means at least 2 games have to move - so why not Canberra? It makes more sense than a traveling roadshow through regional NSW.

It’s really only 1 the game later in the year we are sacrificing Because Canberra is never going to go for a two game deal - their absolute minimum has to be 3 to make it worthwhile - but as I said, we’re really only giving up 1 game a year - unless they move the Easter Show back to Moore Park (and I can’t see that happening).

Anyway, they’ve signed a 10 year extension so it’s really all moot now - it is what it is and we have to do what we can do for the next decade.

Deal with it.

That said, as an ex-Canberra resident, (who frequently travels back) I like GWS being there - and showing bucketloads more commitment to the region than Norf ever did during their tenure there.

BThe Easter Show means at least 2 games have to move - so why not Canberra? It makes more sense than a traveling roadshow through regional NSW.

It’s really only 1 the game later in the year we are sacrificing Because Canberra is never going to go for a two game deal - their absolute minimum has to be 3 to make it worthwhile - but as I said, we’re really only giving up 1 game a year - unless they move the Easter Show back to Moore Park (and I can’t see that happening).

Anyway, they’ve signed a 10 year extension so it’s really all moot now - it is what it is and we have to do what we can do for the next decade.

Deal with it.
I agree that the GWS relationship with Canberra (21 years when the deal ends in 2032), shows the commitment to us that Norths never displayed. This supports the GWS assertion that it is a true long term partnership and that GWS is also the team for Canberra, with our Chief Minister publicly calling it a co-location model when the new 10 year deal was announced.

I think it’s a win-win for both GWS and Canberra, noting also that more than 20% of GWS members are from Canberra.

Yeah, ummm, that is a nice theory.

Problem is we aren’t winning over the west.
So the region isn’t dealing with it.
Or they are and just not bothering because of the half assed effort.
in your view, what is the Canberra deal doing that is preventing GWS from winning over WS? The Easter Show restricts our ability to play in Giants stadium during this period, so why not play in Canberra as BISP and Accor are not good options.

in your view, what is the Canberra deal doing that is preventing GWS from winning over WS? The Easter Show restricts our ability to play in Giants stadium during this period, so why not play in Canberra as BISP and Accor are not good options.
It’s the easy way.
It gives those opposed an excuse, it’s the Giants exit strategy should they want to.
Not fully committed.
Takes the easy way through concentrating on developing kids from Canberra and the Riverina, hotbeds for the sport, over the hard work involved in WS.

Every time the club, and the AFL, pick the easy route.
When since the start they said they were in it for the hard yards.

So far it’s all talk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Giants will be playing our pre-season game in Canberra as well.

Would 100% go if it was in Syd. Very unlikely to head down to CBR. Can't wait to see the new game plan in action.

Our first 5 games are....pretty gentle fixture wise.

Interesting that Giants will be playing our pre-season game in Canberra as well.

Would 100% go if it was in Syd. Very unlikely to head down to CBR. Can't wait to see the new game plan in action.

Wasn't the plan to play the official pre-season game against Suns at Blacktown? It was the unofficial "scratch match" (which is normally GWS v Swans) that AK converted into an intra-club game, that was going to be included within the Canberra training camp. Anyone know the planned dates of that camp?

Pretty sure the Canberra preseason game is locked into the deal. At least it was for the first decade.

It's how they used to sell Canberra getting four games a year, but it was really 3+1.

When the preseason was longer, GWS seemed to get two home games, but with Gather Round extending the main season and shortening the preseason, I wouldn't expect any GWS preseason games in Sydney any time soon.

Wasn't the plan to play the official pre-season games against Sun at Blacktown? It was the unofficial "scratch match" (which is normally GWS v Swans) that AK converted into an intra-club game, that was going to be included within the Canberra training camp. Anyone know the planned dates of that camp?
Ohhhh yeah that sounds right.
No idea. Probs 2 weeksish before the season opener.
It'll be kinda fun to see a full intraclub game but I'd imagine it won't be televised.

According to the AFL website the one and only official preseason match will be at BISP in March- not Canberra
Yeah that's correct. A lot of other clubs are doing an organised game against other clubs as well. GWS are just doing an intraclub game in Canberra instead.

Keep that game plan on the DL

According to the AFL website the one and only official preseason match will be at BISP in March- not Canberra

The extended deal hasn't even started and Canberra's already being stiffed?

From the Giants website after the deal was announced: "One pre-season match annually (if pre-season games are scheduled by the AFL)"

The extended deal hasn't even started and Canberra's already being stiffed?

From the Giants website after the deal was announced: "One pre-season match annually (if pre-season games are scheduled by the AFL)"
When the deal was being negotiated, there were 2 official pre-season games for clubs, so the club would have played one of these in Canberra. Even when the “Gather Round” was introduced, clubs were still scheduled to play 2 preseason games - 1 of which would be a “scratch” match. I presume that this would have been the match that would have been played in Canberra when GWS came here for their community camp. Our new coach now prefers an intraclub game instead of the scratch game. Maybe they will let Canberra fans in to watch this intraclub game?

When the deal was being negotiated, there were 2 official pre-season games for clubs, so the club would have played one of these in Canberra. Even when the “Gather Round” was introduced, clubs were still scheduled to play 2 preseason games - 1 of which would be a “scratch” match. I presume that this would have been the match that would have been played in Canberra when GWS came here for their community camp. Our new coach now prefers an intraclub game instead of the scratch game. Maybe they will let Canberra fans in to watch this intraclub game?

Should it really be up to the coach?

Canberra now pays GWS $2.85m a year for three men's games, a preseason, and an AFLW match. If GWS only gets one preseason match, it should be played in Canberra, regardless of what Kingsley wants. Or they should at least be giving the ACT government a partial refund to the value of that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back