GWS in Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

More info on the fan day and the intraclub. States that there will be live updates on the intraclub match
I remember when we were good at social media and we did stream. Miss those days.

Something in another thread that is relevant and shows the commitment of the club to Canberra, even though it’s unlikely that the name change will happen. Thanks to Canberra Pear for posting the article.

Adam Kingsley suggests this could be the dawn of the GWS-Canberra Giants

There's the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks and the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in the NRL, but could the AFL soon have the GWS-Canberra Giants?

There isn't an official team name change on the horizon - yet - however new Giants head coach Adam Kingsley said there might as well be a hyphen there.

That's how bought in he and the entire club are in adopting Canberra as their "second home" as the $28.5 million partnership with the ACT government extends another 10 years.

"Branding is not my area, but that's how we view it anyway," Kingsley said. "We view it as if there's a hyphen.

"Everyone loves coming down here, we've just got to win here too - it's as simple as that.

"We haven't been successful over the last couple of years so our challenge now is to try and re-establish Canberra as our fortress so the opposition fear coming to our second home.

"The closer we can have both cities see themselves as our home, the better off we're going to be.

"That's what we're trying to build and we've got another 10 years down here to do it, which we're excited about."

Orange-clad AFL supporters came through the gates at Alan Ray Oval in Ainslie on a sunny Saturday to watch the Giants in their intra-club match.

It officially kicked off the start of the new Canberra deal which will bring at least three AFL games and one pre-season hit-out to the ACT every year, as well as up to two AFLW games, multiple clinics, school visits, and other community engagement activities.

Something in another thread that is relevant and shows the commitment of the club to Canberra, even though it’s unlikely that the name change will happen. Thanks to Canberra Pear for posting the article.

There's the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks and the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in the NRL, but could the AFL soon have the GWS-Canberra Giants?

There isn't an official team name change on the horizon - yet - however new Giants head coach Adam Kingsley said there might as well be a hyphen there.

That's how bought in he and the entire club are in adopting Canberra as their "second home" as the $28.5 million partnership with the ACT government extends another 10 years.

"Branding is not my area, but that's how we view it anyway," Kingsley said. "We view it as if there's a hyphen.

"Everyone loves coming down here, we've just got to win here too - it's as simple as that.

"We haven't been successful over the last couple of years so our challenge now is to try and re-establish Canberra as our fortress so the opposition fear coming to our second home.

"The closer we can have both cities see themselves as our home, the better off we're going to be.

"That's what we're trying to build and we've got another 10 years down here to do it, which we're excited about."

Orange-clad AFL supporters came through the gates at Alan Ray Oval in Ainslie on a sunny Saturday to watch the Giants in their intra-club match.

It officially kicked off the start of the new Canberra deal which will bring at least three AFL games and one pre-season hit-out to the ACT every year, as well as up to two AFLW games, multiple clinics, school visits, and other community engagement activities.
Well it's the only reason I ever go to Canberra.
I'll be happier about it if we win there more.
This year it's Brisbane, Bulldogs and Suns so I'll be happy if we win 1 of those.

they really don't want the club to succeed in Western Sydney do they....

Well it's the only reason I ever go to Canberra.
I'll be happier about it if we win there more.
This year it's Brisbane, Bulldogs and Suns so I'll be happy if we win 1 of those.
Unfortunately we have lost our last 7 matches in Manuka. Our last win was against St Kilda in May 2019. This matches our 7 game consecutive losing streak during 2012-2014. Even though we are at home, the game against Brisbane will be tough

I would personally prefer all the games played at Giants stadium.
Not freaking Accor/Blacktown, heaven forbid the SCG.
But I understand that Canberra has been a happy hunting ground for us as far as building a base financially as a club and membership numbers.
I suppose it depends if Canberra is ever planning on having a team of its own.
I'd guess not so I'm okay with it for now...but when it gets serious..is Finals and Wins are super stretched...I want as many advantages as possible that improve winning.
Winning will bring more fans to the Giants..and the regularity of games at Giants stadium will make it more of a culture than just something that seems to happen once a month.

I would personally prefer all the games played at Giants stadium.
Not freaking Accor/Blacktown, heaven forbid the SCG.
But I understand that Canberra has been a happy hunting ground for us as far as building a base financially as a club and membership numbers.
I suppose it depends if Canberra is ever planning on having a team of its own.
I'd guess not so I'm okay with it for now...but when it gets serious..is Finals and Wins are super stretched...I want as many advantages as possible that improve winning.
Winning will bring more fans to the Giants..and the regularity of games at Giants stadium will make it more of a culture than just something that seems to happen once a month.
Note that Manuka used to be our fortress previously. We won 11 from 12 (including 9 straight) from 2015 to 2018, which contributed to making finals in 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Agree with you about playing in Accor and SCG.

Note that Manuka used to be our fortress previously. We won 11 from 12 (including 9 straight) from 2015 to 2018, which contributed to making finals in 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Agree with you about playing in Accor and SCG.
Sure. It's fine when we are good. But if playing at Giants stadium gives us an extra 2% I'd ideally want to play there.

Either way we are there for the next 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it didn’t though.
Our average barely moved during those great years of making finals and terrorising other sides.
But our membership moved. Whilst we increased our average crowds from 10,000-11,000 pre 2016 to 12000-13000 in crowds during our 2016-2019 period, our membership increased from around 13,500 in 2015 to 30,000 by the end of 2019.

But our membership moved. Whilst we increased our average crowds from 10,000-11,000 pre 2016 to 12000-13000 in crowds during our 2016-2019 period, our membership increased from around 13,500 in 2015 to 30,000 by the end of 2019.
Memberships don’t mean much if we don’t get the numbers increasing at the games. Take away the derby and they weren’t really.

And let’s be honest a lot of the memberships are grassroots hand outs etc.

If we left Canberra, who plays there instead.
They need and deserve games. We represent half of nsw/act, and they are in our half. It's just a shame it is 280km away, under 200km and probably more people travel from ACT to Sydney to watch us play.

If it's at the end of the current contract, then it's pretty good timing for Canberra to enter its own team to complement the Tasmanian entry.

If we left Canberra, who plays there instead.
They need and deserve games. We represent half of nsw/act, and they are in our half. It's just a shame it is 280km away, under 200km and probably more people travel from ACT to Sydney to watch us play.
A Canberra team? Or maybe every club can send one game there.

We are currently trying to grow the game in 2 different regions. One of which is new to the sport, very parochial, and if we can crack it we will be one of the most powerful clubs in the league. But they aren't at the moment, nor really during our successes.

As long as it looks like we have only one foot in then they wont buy in, my opinion.

Wrap-up video of the Canberra fan day. Also an article in the Canberra Times (unfortunately under a paywall) that recommits to a better relationship with the Canberra region on top of the new 10 year deal with us.

The Giants don't play in Western Sydney between rounds 3 and 10 (Away Derby at the SCG in round 7).

Whilst Canberra has clearly been a success and they should maintain 3 games a season there, surely there is an opportunity for a Marquee match at Accor Stadium whilst the Easter Show is on, to ensure a presence in Western Sydney whilst Giants Stadium is unavailable.

Even 30k for potentially Giants v Pies at Accor would be almost double what that fixture would potentially get at Giants Stadium, so I believe it would be seen as a success and ensure the Giants brand is being seen in Western Sydney.

As a Swans supporter I want to see GWS succeed (just not in finals against the Swans), and there has to be a better way than a six week gap away from Western Sydney near the beginning of the season.

Also both Derby's should be evening fixtures and on Public Holiday/NSW school holiday weekends to maximise attendances and further increase the presence of the Giants name across Sydney.

On the field I think the Giants have been quite successful when you look at the history of new clubs and unfortunately COVID-19 probably affected any momentum with crowds after the 2019 grand final. I definitely see them being in Western Sydney for the long haul, but the AFL and club both need to be smarter about the fixture.

The Giants don't play in Western Sydney between rounds 3 and 10 (Away Derby at the SCG in round 7).

Whilst Canberra has clearly been a success and they should maintain 3 games a season there, surely there is an opportunity for a Marquee match at Accor Stadium whilst the Easter Show is on, to ensure a presence in Western Sydney whilst Giants Stadium is unavailable.

Even 30k for potentially Giants v Pies at Accor would be almost double what that fixture would potentially get at Giants Stadium, so I believe it would be seen as a success and ensure the Giants brand is being seen in Western Sydney.

As a Swans supporter I want to see GWS succeed (just not in finals against the Swans), and there has to be a better way than a six week gap away from Western Sydney near the beginning of the season.

Also both Derby's should be evening fixtures and on Public Holiday/NSW school holiday weekends to maximise attendances and further increase the presence of the Giants name across Sydney.

On the field I think the Giants have been quite successful when you look at the history of new clubs and unfortunately COVID-19 probably affected any momentum with crowds after the 2019 grand final. I definitely see them being in Western Sydney for the long haul, but the AFL and club both need to be smarter about the fixture.
I'd rather play in Canberra than go back to Accor.
I understand where you're coming from but it just isn't a home game for us and we barely got 30k to the Swans/Giants season opener last year.
The big gap in the fixture always being at the start of the year for the Giants...being away means it's a tough sell if we haven't started the year strong. It needs fixing.

Yes, whilst Accor will certainly draw a bigger crowd against the biggest teams, including swans as seen in 2022, it’s just not as good in terms of fan experience. And yes, hopefully more sell out crowds for both our derby games

Would prefer a big game at Accor, Might get some coin thrown into it to help the grass, to break up the Easter show break.

I've only been to Accor once, but I really liked it.

Admitedly, it was a final and there were 60k there, but I think it can have a good atmosphere if the crowd is decent. I don't think it should be against the Swans though, the Giants lose too much of an advantage.

Does anybody know what the capacity of Tom Wills Oval will be after the AFLW makeover? Is there potential to play a lower-crowd men's game there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back