GWS in Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm optimistically hoping for 8k. As Giant Strides says, Gold Coast isn't a huge crowd puller.

I really wish we could get some larger-drawing clubs in Canberra, and more consistently. Of the "big four" Victorian teams, the Giants have hosted only one single game in Canberra. Before the Giants, Sydney was the largest drawing team, but they obviously can't play against the Giants in Canberra.

So, the five-largest drawing clubs (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and Sydney), by the end of 2023, Western Sydney will have had 41 games, while Canberra has only had the 1 (Richmond, 2016).

I get the need for large crowd-pullers in Sydney (and the Swans obviously can't travel), but Canberra's getting shafted in the meantime. Especially considering one of the ACT government's primary justification for the deal is tourism and travelling AFL fans.

We should be getting one of the big four at least every two years. Collingwood at Manuka would be bursting at the seams.

I'm optimistically hoping for 8k. As Giant Strides says, Gold Coast isn't a huge crowd puller.

I really wish we could get some larger-drawing clubs in Canberra, and more consistently. Of the "big four" Victorian teams, the Giants have hosted only one single game in Canberra. Before the Giants, Sydney was the largest drawing team, but they obviously can't play against the Giants in Canberra.

So, the five-largest drawing clubs (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and Sydney), by the end of 2023, Western Sydney will have had 41 games, while Canberra has only had the 1 (Richmond, 2016).

I get the need for large crowd-pullers in Sydney (and the Swans obviously can't travel), but Canberra's getting shafted in the meantime. Especially considering one of the ACT government's primary justification for the deal is tourism and travelling AFL fans.

We should be getting one of the big four at least every two years. Collingwood at Manuka would be bursting at the seams.
I don't disagree with this, but I guess you have to look at which clubs are going to Sydney and what the ratio is to Canberra for those. They don't like to travel at all, and so we often play them in Melbourne, and it's the lesser Melbourne plus other interstate clubs going to Sydney ... can't therefore raid too much of the big clubs off the main venue. It's a problem of serving 2 masters, which some will jump on as a fundamental problem. But I do agree that a big club every 2 years is broadly fair.

Fellow late entrant Gold Coast isn't a large crowd puller: few travelling fans, and few transplanted fans. That's not a dig, it's just reality, and similar to us. So we don't get the benefit of fans coming out of the woodwork to see their team live for that once a year, as we do if it's a traditional team such as Richmond or Geelong. The core GWS fans from the capital will be there, but whether other Canberrans turn up "for a look" depends on several factors such as weather, timing etc. Hopefully with the win streak a few fans will travel down from Sydney for the game. The 1.10 pm timing should be good if the weather is forecast to be fine, as a Sunday afternoon in the sun watching sport can be very pleasant. Hopefully it's a decent crowd that turns up.

Two of us from Sydney will be there, will be my first time Manuka Oval despite going to Canberra a few times a year. Would imagine there may be others from Sydney, whether they're first timers / or non regulars may bump up the figures..

If we struggle for numbers at this game it will be a shock to me as I keep hearing how much of a crowd Manuka draws and how the Giants should relocate there (from this forum and elsewhere).

I don't disagree with this, but I guess you have to look at which clubs are going to Sydney and what the ratio is to Canberra for those. They don't like to travel at all, and so we often play them in Melbourne, and it's the lesser Melbourne plus other interstate clubs going to Sydney ... can't therefore raid too much of the big clubs off the main venue. It's a problem of serving 2 masters, which some will jump on as a fundamental problem. But I do agree that a big club every 2 years is broadly fair.

For the big four (B4), the ratio has been 31:1. Which isn't acceptable from a Canberra perspective.

Giants Stadium seems to average three B4 teams a year.

Canberra hosts 27% of Giants games. So to average close to that, we should be getting three B4 teams over a four-season cycle. That would give us 25% of B4 games, which would be proportionally fair.

I'd accept a big club every two years, but it's the bare minimum Canberra should be getting.

Another factor in less people coming to the Manuka match could be that 3 games members may use it for the Swans derby match in Round 21? Previously the 3 game membership didn’t include the Sydney derby home match (there was a four game membership that included the Swans), but this year our club seem to have scrapped that?

I agree with that

Another factor in less people coming to the Manuka match could be that 3 games members may use it for the Swans derby match in Round 21? Previously the 3 game membership didn’t include the Sydney derby home match (there was a four game membership that included the Swans), but this year our club seem to have scrapped that?

An interesting thought, but I wouldn't say that'd be too much of a factor.

You can get a spot on the hill for $25, or a regular ticket for $34, and kids go free, so after after a hotel and travel, the price of a ticket shouldn't be (I hope) too much of a factor.

For many Canberrans, it's a neutral game, which is another reason why the Suns won't draw that highly. But at this stage, the weather looks decent; it's a meaningful game; the Giants have great form - it ticks every box bar opposition.

The 2023 AFLW fixture. We are getting two of the 5 Giants home games in Manuka, with 2 at BISP and 1 at Henson. Surprised, as I had thought that the new deal only had 1 AFLW game for Manuka, with the second only when the AFLW fixture expands from the current 10 games.

The 2023 AFLW fixture. We are getting two of the 5 Giants home games in Manuka, with 2 at BISP and 1 at Henson. Surprised, as I had thought that the new deal only had 1 AFLW game for Manuka, with the second only when the AFLW fixture expands from the current 10 games.

That's great (for Canberrans). Canberra really gets behind the AFLW and most of the Giants' big women's crowds have been at Manuka.

Anybody know when Tom Wills will be ready for AFLW? I'd assume they'd expect more than three games a year there with the investment.

Interestingly, it's nearly identical to the Sydney Thunder's upcoming home fixture: three in Western Sydney, two at Manuka.

Me and the fellas will be there , so at least 5 Canberra giants.

Big game to show the rest of the competition that we can win the games we are supposed to win. Hoping the midfield can stop the bleeding this week.

Very excited to see Callum Brown was resigned for another 2 years. He had the look of someone who can become a real asset to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have access to this article on the Daily Telegraph/Herald Sun.

The preview reads as below. I assume a timed hype-piece ahead of the preseason game at Manuka.

‘It’s Giants territory’: How GWS has taken over the capital​

GWS has faced a battle on several fronts to win over fans in western Sydney. Tom Green reveals how the club’s efforts in Australia’s capital have brought a new fan base to the orange tsunami.

With our next game against St Kilda in our other home ground, Manuka, some historical context on our games in Canberra for those interested.

We have played 33 games at Manuka in our history (only Giants Stadium has witnessed more Giants games). Our opponents in Manuka have been:
  • 7 games: Western Bulldogs
  • 4 games: Melbourne, Gold Coast
  • 3 games (4 teams): Fremantle, Geelong, Port Adelaide, St Kilda
  • 2 games: Brisbane
  • 1 game (4 teams): Adelaide, Hawthorn, Norths, Richmond
  • Never played (5 teams): Sydney, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, West Coast

This year we are scheduled to play St Kilda, Brisbane and Hawthorn in Manuka. Compared to our overall 14 win-19 loss (42% win rate) Manuka record, our record against these teams in Manuka are:
  • St Kilda (won 1 from 3 games - 33% win record)
  • Brisbane (won 0 from 2 games - 0% win record)
  • Hawthorn (won 0 from 1 games - 0% win record)

With our next game against St Kilda in our other home ground, Manuka, some historical context on our games in Canberra for those interested.

We have played 33 games at Manuka in our history (only Giants Stadium has witnessed more Giants games). Our opponents in Manuka have been:
  • 7 games: Western Bulldogs
  • 4 games: Melbourne, Gold Coast
  • 3 games (4 teams): Fremantle, Geelong, Port Adelaide, St Kilda
  • 2 games: Brisbane
  • 1 game (4 teams): Adelaide, Hawthorn, Norths, Richmond
  • Never played (5 teams): Sydney, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, West Coast

This year we are scheduled to play St Kilda, Brisbane and Hawthorn in Manuka. Compared to our overall 14 win-19 loss (42% win rate) Manuka record, our record against these teams in Manuka are:
  • St Kilda (won 1 from 3 games - 33% win record)
  • Brisbane (won 0 from 2 games - 0% win record)
  • Hawthorn (won 0 from 1 games - 0% win record)

Thanks for your work in this!

I get that Sydney needs the bigger teams to grow the game, but it would be great if we could get some of the big clubs in Canberra.

A Giants v Collingwood game at Manuka would be the hottest ticket in town.

Will be interesting to see the final crowd numbers for today’s sold out St Kilda match.

Around 341,000 people have watched Giants in the 33 matches we have played in Manuka since we started playing here in 2012 - an average of 10,352 a game.

Our top 5 crowds at Manuka
  • 14,974 vs Richmond 2016
  • 14,667 vs Geelong 2015
  • 14,274 vs Melbourne 2017
  • 14,048 vs Bulldogs 2017
  • 13,656 vs Geelong 2016

And for completeness, our lowest 5 crowds at Manuka
  • 6549 vs Port 2014
  • 6832 vs Gold Coast 2013
  • 6917 vs Gold Coast 2015
  • 7132 vs Bulldogs 2013
  • 7338 vs Fremantle 2022

I know it's not a competition and there are many factors that go into this like the weather etc. but I thought it was pretty interesting that GWS got more to the game this weekend than the Raiders the very next day. To me that shows good interest in the club and the AFL itself in Canberra.

1713098221956.png

Considering the GWS game sold out so there may have been many who would've gone but couldn't get a ticket I reckon that's pretty impressive. Although I think Canberra is a good shout for team 20, it's still nice to see GWS embraced by the locals in the meantime.

Here's what Kingsley had to say about playing in Canberra, taken from the presser on Sunday:

"...we love coming down to Canberra, it's the best surface in the AFL, it's an absolute pleasure to play on the ground and in front of these people, so we want to put on a great show every time we come down here, and we want to re-establish this place as being a fortress, because, ultimately, that is the only way we can replay the, you know, the Canberra support, and so we talk about that and we were able to do that again today...this is a really important place for us, we want to play well down here..."

He was then asked whether he'd like to see "another game or two down here":

"Well, yeah, I mean, it's interesting, at the expense of some of our away games would be better than Engie Stadium, we'd prefer to play there as much as we can too".

With the Brisbane game tomorrow, some stats for anyone interested on the total of 61 AFL games that have ever been played in Canberra. The home teams for these games are below, with GWS hosting more than half of all AFL games played in Canberra:
  • GWS 34 games (2012-present)
  • North Melbourne 18 games (1998, 2001-2006)
  • Western Bulldogs 5 games (2007-11)
  • Melbourne 3 games (2007-09)
  • There was also a game played in 1995 where Fitzroy hosted West Coast

Of the 61 AFL matches played for premiership points in the ACT, we have made the most appearances in Canberra:
  • 34 games: GWS
  • 19: North Melbourne
  • 13: Western Bulldogs
  • 12: Sydney
  • 8: Melbourne
  • 6: Port Adelaide
  • 5: Geelong, St Kilda
  • 4: Fremantle, West Coast, Gold Coast
  • 2: Adelaide, Brisbane
  • 1: Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond, Fitzroy
  • Never ever played in Canberra: Carlton, Essendon

I'm incredibly keen for this game.

I think Canberra should be getting an Anzac Day match every year. It just makes sense with the war memorial and the heavy Defence presence.

It's officially sold out. My guess for attendance is 13k.
My views are pretty strong on the club being Western Sydney etc. but

I think an ANZAC Game in Canberra is a must. Even better would be to have the same opponent each year to build up that rivalry.

Last edited:
My views are pretty strong on the club being Western Sydney etc. but

I think an ANZAC Game in Canberra is a must. Even better would be to have the same opponent each year to build up that rivalry.

I think you and I have pretty similar views long-term.

Once Canberra gets a team, it'd be pretty cool to see a Canberra v Giants fixture permanently on Anzac Day to build off it.

My views are pretty strong on the club being Wedtern Sydney etc. but

Completely agree with an annual ANZAC day match in Canberra, given the location of the National War Memorial here.

I acknowledge people like variety, but also agree and think we should have the same opponent in Canberra for 1 of the 3 home matches here to build up an ongoing rivalry - in the 12 years we have been playing in Canberra since our inception (2020 had no matches due to COVID), only the Western Bulldogs have played us more than half of our time in Manuka (7 times). The next highest have been Melbourne, Gold Coast and St Kilda - all of whom have played 4 times in Canberra.

That being said, we will now have Brisbane playing 3 consecutive games here - so maybe AFL have them in mind as our ongoing opposition in Canberra?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back