News GWS to have training base built; Tom Wills Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Looks like we will finally have our training base issues sorted:

GREATER Western Sydney will have a permanent training base over summer after the announcement of a new centre to be built at Sydney Olympic Park.

‘This centre will provide our talented young playing list with elite training facilities the equal of any other AFL club as well as access to the elite support services available to them in the Sydney Olympic Park precinct. It will help ensure our exciting players have long term futures with the GIANTS, and most importantly, it will give the club the very best opportunity to compete for premierships.’

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/giants-elite-training-centre.html

This is great news as it solves the one major issue we had in developing our squad. I'm interested to see what the timeline of development will be, can't see it being finished by pre-season 2013.

Yeah, mixed feelings about this. Good for the Giants, bad for the Western Sydney vibe. Disappointed in the club or the AFL, whoever negotiated the usage of BISP ****ed up big time by not considering the pre-season. It's not like the idea of training before the season is a new idea...

I love you like a brother, MG, but on this score I beg to disagree. :rolleyes:

Were we to establish the club's permanent HQ at Blacktown, it would all but alienate it to that part of western Sydney south west of Liverpool (I'm actually thinking south west of Bankstown, but I'm cutting some slack here ;)). There is a substantial AFL support base gelling at Campbelltown which has been nowhere near developed enough by the Giants yet, so opting for our future spiritual home to be at Homebush still makes it accessible to the forgotten AFL fans of western Sydney.

We also forget far too easily that the west is actually defined as starting further east of even Homebush. Wests Rugby League club is perched on the train line at Ashfield, while Western Suburbs AFL club plays out of Croydon and Ashbury.

If we allow ourselves to develop any sort of tunnel vision concerning the geography of Sydney's greater west, we do run the dangers of repeating the mistakes of a certain other local AFL club which appears to believe that Sydney does not extend anywhere west of the ANZAC Bridge (bar isolated pockets in the Sutherland and Hills Shires).

There has also obviously been some pretty serious negotiating done well away from the public gaze in order to secure a quite decent lump of land at the best possible price, so I think that time will prove this to be yet another substantial victory for the enlightened management of this club.

Go IWS!!
(Inner West Sydney Giants)

Stupid idea. Terrible outcome for West Sydney.

This is stupid. The whole idea of GWS was to promote the AFL into Greater Western Sydney (funny how the name matches up, aye?) with the introduction of the training grounds AT OLYMPIC PARK we ruin these ideals. We may as well call ourselves the Sydney Giants and be done with it.

It's the same with playing at Canberra. Greater Western Sydney and the ACT are two separate areas. You can't go round saying they're the same. It's like calling NSW and QLD the same state. They were once upon a time. But not anymore. It's ruining the ideas of the club and we need to move back to Blacktown.

We have an Academy at Blacktown still? Whoop- dee-doo. It doesnt mean much if the club isn't there. I myself have always wanted to play on three grounds on my lifetime. The ANZ stadium (or whatever it's called), the MCG and the ground of my area. When Blacktown was created I thought "hey! Here's my chance!". But now that it isn't the home of the giants anymore what's the point? I've been lucky enough to play and umpire on the ANZ turf. Now it's up to the next two.

Anyway. That's my rant of the day. Cya!

Last time I looked Homebush was part of Western Sydney

I love you like a brother, MG, but on this score I beg to disagree. :rolleyes:

Were we to establish the club's permanent HQ at Blacktown, it would all but alienate it to that part of western Sydney south west of Liverpool (I'm actually thinking south west of Bankstown, but I'm cutting some slack here ;)). There is a substantial AFL support base gelling at Campbelltown which has been nowhere near developed enough by the Giants yet, so opting for our future spiritual home to be at Homebush still makes it accessible to the forgotten AFL fans of western Sydney.

We also forget far too easily that the west is actually defined as starting further east of even Homebush. Wests Rugby League club is perched on the train line at Ashfield, while Western Suburbs AFL club plays out of Croydon and Ashbury.

If we allow ourselves to develop any sort of tunnel vision concerning the geography of Sydney's greater west, we do run the dangers of repeating the mistakes of a certain other local AFL club which appears to believe that Sydney does not extend anywhere west of the ANZAC Bridge (bar isolated pockets in the Sutherland and Hills Shires).

There has also obviously been some pretty serious negotiating done well away from the public gaze in order to secure a quite decent lump of land at the best possible price, so I think that time will prove this to be yet another substantial victory for the enlightened management of this club.

Well said!

But the main thing is that we have a top of the line training facility as if we don't it will lead to us losing players. But in time we will most likely have training facilities in Blacktown to complement our main training centre.

Once again Osseboss, well said. last night I made trip from Orange (I think we should call the team the Greater Central Western Giants :D ) and sat with supporters from Canberra, Eastwood and some Bomber supporters who had made the trip from Melbourne. It must be remembered that Blacktown is not the teams name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again Osseboss, well said. last night I made trip from Orange (I think we should call the team the Greater Central Western Giants :D ) and sat with supporters from Canberra, Eastwood and some Bomber supporters who had made the trip from Melbourne. It must be remembered that Blacktown is not the teams name.

Well said - too much is made of the exact location, no matter what happened, someone wouldn't be happy.

Shortly the new West Sydney A-League team will need to choose a home ground, this is the one prediction I can make with confidence, no matter what ground they choose, someone will pipe up and say it doesn't suit them.

Well said - too much is made of the exact location, no matter what happened, someone wouldn't be happy.

Shortly the new West Sydney A-League team will need to choose a home ground, this is the one prediction I can make with confidence, no matter what ground they choose, someone will pipe up and say it doesn't suit them.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Parramatta Stadium. And yes, I think your prediction will be spot on.

This is stupid. The whole idea of GWS was to promote the AFL into Greater Western Sydney (funny how the name matches up, aye?) with the introduction of the training grounds AT OLYMPIC PARK we ruin these ideals. We may as well call ourselves the Sydney Giants and be done with it.

It's the same with playing at Canberra. Greater Western Sydney and the ACT are two separate areas. You can't go round saying they're the same. It's like calling NSW and QLD the same state. They were once upon a time. But not anymore. It's ruining the ideas of the club and we need to move back to Blacktown.

We have an Academy at Blacktown still? Whoop- dee-doo. It doesnt mean much if the club isn't there. I myself have always wanted to play on three grounds on my lifetime. The ANZ stadium (or whatever it's called), the MCG and the ground of my area. When Blacktown was created I thought "hey! Here's my chance!". But now that it isn't the home of the giants anymore what's the point? I've been lucky enough to play and umpire on the ANZ turf. Now it's up to the next two.

Anyway. That's my rant of the day. Cya!

You are on the money BJ17.
Anyone understand what has happened here ?
I remember when the AFL stood with the mayor of Blacktown to announce that it was all Doonside and the 2 million battling multitudes of the outer west....Gus from Penrith was nervous.
Now it's Breakfast Point, Homebush and the trendy riverside suburbs.

1. What will become of BISP as a sign of AFL inflitration ? NEAFL, Sydney AFL and The Academy aren't very sexy in the big picture of AFL domination.

2. What will become of the golf driving range that gets ploughed under for the new facility ?

3. How will the Auskick-ers of Penrith, Campbelltown, Canberra, Gipps Road (hey, BOGAN JUNIORS, even Orange) get more engaged when Doonside/Blacktown is forgotten ?

4. Maybe that's why the GWS offices at BISP were never more than shabby looking tin sheds - was it always intended for GWS to be a trendy inner western riverside enclave ?

5. Please, someone tell me that I've gotten it wrong and that the AFL really DOES want to promote our game among the multi-racial millions of the previously ignored area beyond Ryde and Sliverwater Road.

The article has plenty about the continuing relationship with Blacktown given it's an announcement about a training area at Olympic Park, so obviously that relationship is pretty important to the Giants.

I think that since cricket was dragging its feet and not letting us have our preseason out there, this was going to be inevitable. This training facility is what they'd hoped to establish out at Blacktown. Having said that, I think they'd do a good job if they keep the NAB Cup out there as they indicate they'll try to - it's a good fun venue for the kick and giggle pre-season games.

Mr Shepherd said the AFL's long term partnership with the Blacktown City Council had been crucial to the successful establishment of the GIANTS. "Based on a strong relationship with Blacktown City Council, led by Mayor Alan Pendleton and Ron Moore, the GIANTS have reiterated our ongoing commitment to be an integral part of the local community," he said.

"This year we played the first ever AFL match for premiership points against the West Coast Eagles at Blacktown on 15 April and we are very grateful for the council’s ongoing support and delighted that we will continue to enjoy a constructive working relationship that will deliver economic, sporting and social benefits to the people of Greater Western Sydney."

As part of their partnership, Mr Shepherd said the GIANTS and the Blacktown City Council were discussing a range of future initiatives. They include:

• More NAB Cup matches at Blacktown International Sportspark (BISP)
  • Maintaining the GIANTS Academy at Blacktown to develop local talent in Western Sydney
  • Basing AFL and GIANTS staff at Blacktown for a range of community programs to deliver benefits to the local region
  • Regular NEAFL matches at BISP featuring UWS GIANTS and other teams
  • Staging of elite under age matches at BISP

[quote=dlanod;24361336]The article has plenty about the continuing relationship with Blacktown given it's an announcement about a training area at Olympic Park, so obviously that relationship is pretty important to the Giants.

It's like when a girl says that, sorry but she's got a new lover now. But she wants us to still be friends and stay in touch.
When you've been reamed, you've been reamed, whatever the nice words.

Justabaraker you sound like the Carlton St Kilda Richmond etc and dare I say Fitzroy supporters who lament the loss of their suburban home grounds or even teams. While it is sad it is a lost era. The team will have an affiliation with Blacktown like the above mentioned teams have with their areas BUT Blacktown was NEVER going to be the ultimate answer in the BIG picture. I personally think it is a brilliant outcome for the club.

THINK BIG, LIVE BIG, PLAY BIG

Justabaraker you sound like the Carlton St Kilda Richmond etc and dare I say Fitzroy supporters who lament the loss of their suburban home grounds or even teams. While it is sad it is a lost era. The team will have an affiliation with Blacktown like the above mentioned teams have with their areas BUT Blacktown was NEVER going to be the ultimate answer in the BIG picture. I personally think it is a brilliant outcome for the club.

THINK BIG, LIVE BIG, PLAY BIG

BJ, I reckon it makes the AFL look a bit sneaky and underhand. But I take your point that we have to get over it. Just can't stop thinking about the golfers at the Driving Range who will get evicted so the ploughs can move in.....
But hey, my interest is in Sydney AFL and NEAFL so if/when your Giants walk away from BISP, then us barrackers will have a modern shiny venue to claim ownership over.

The article has plenty about the continuing relationship with Blacktown given it's an announcement about a training area at Olympic Park, so obviously that relationship is pretty important to the Giants.

I think that since cricket was dragging its feet and not letting us have our preseason out there, this was going to be inevitable. This training facility is what they'd hoped to establish out at Blacktown. Having said that, I think they'd do a good job if they keep the NAB Cup out there as they indicate they'll try to - it's a good fun venue for the kick and giggle pre-season games.

DLANOD, more info please, to stop me from feeling so bitter and twisted about it all.....
1. Was there a conflict about who used the Blacktown facilities during the AFL pre-season ? That would fit in with a grand plan to establish venues where the AFL has the say-so as to who uses the facility and under what conditions.
2. will the new Homebush rectangular field be usable for suburban AFL games ?

I dont think the club is walking away from the BISP The article put up in a previous post and that released by the club show that ground is going to be an integral part of the club. The team will still need a training venue when Skoda is unavailable particularly at Easter and it will still be used for promotions and community and team events.

I was surprised and pleased when I first heard that the new Western Sydney team were going to based at Blacktown Olympic Park, toward the centre of the Greater Western Sydney* region. It said to me that they were serious about becoming a part of the Greater Western Sydney community and that they were commited to this venture, looking to build with the community for the long term rather than looking for the easy option, quick fix just to say they'd tried. Sydney Olympic Park at Homebush Bay was always the easier option with much of the necessary infrastructure and it is in the Greater Western Sydney region, but very much on the eastern boundary.

The move to Homebush Bay started with the announcement that GWS would be involved in the redevelopment of the showground that would become their AFL homr ground. An elite training centre close to your home ground that you can access 12 months a year is becoming increasingly essential to being competitive in in the AFL, its needed to develop and retain the wonderful young talent now at GWS and build the local following of the team. It is the logical next step once Skoda Stadium became based at Homebush Bay.

Even though I can see the logical sense in the move, I remain disappointed by it because I see it as a missed opportunity to differentiate GWS from other Greater Western Sydney clubs by being based near the centre of the Greater Western Sydney region rather than with many other clubs near the centre of the Sydney region.

Some of what I read give me hope of a possible future return to Blacktown and I, for one, think that should continue to be the long tern goal for GWS and the AFL as it attempts to forge new ground in Western Sydney.

* Greater Western Sydney is defined by Unversity of Western Sydney as being an area consisting of 14 local government areas bounded by Hawkesbury to the north, Blue Mountains to the west, Wollondilly to the south and Auburn, containing Sydney Olympic Park, to the east.

DLANOD, more info please, to stop me from feeling so bitter and twisted about it all.....
1. Was there a conflict about who used the Blacktown facilities during the AFL pre-season ? That would fit in with a grand plan to establish venues where the AFL has the say-so as to who uses the facility and under what conditions.
2. will the new Homebush rectangular field be usable for suburban AFL games ?

1. Unfortunately yes. The team had to train in about half a dozen venues around the Western Sydney area, including Olympic Park, because cricket wouldn't let them use the main oval for training as it was still in their season. To my mind this is a failure of whoever negotiated the initial BISP deal (AFL or Dale Holmes).
2. Unsure about this.

I have since received an email from the club (as I assume all members did) that lists their continued "plan" for BISP, so they're obviously getting some use out of it (including training in-season when we have home games - see point 10):

In relation to Blacktown in particular, we have significant partnership plan in place best summarized by the following set of 12 commitments:
  1. Two annual NAB Cup matches.
  2. An annual pre-season GIANTS Intra Club match – free to the public.
  3. The next five years of NAB AFL Under 16 Championships – 10 day carnival featuring 8 states/territories.
  4. Four UWS GIANTS NEAFL matches per year.
  5. The Sydney Football League Grand Final
  6. Continue to base 20 full-time and 45 part-time AFL/GIANTS staff at BISP.
  7. Continue to invest more than $4mill a year in community programs emanating from Blacktown.
  8. Continue as a full-time training & administration base for the GIANTS Academy including full-time gym.
  9. Launch a UWS Learning & Life Centre to deliver literacy outcomes to Blacktown youth.
  10. Hold 12 in-season GIANTS AFL squad training sessions.
  11. Commit 25% of annual AFL player appearances to the Blacktown community which equates to 1,000 hours.
  12. Collaborate on a new master plan for Blacktown International Sportspark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back