GWS Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Due to the constant crying by eddie and his crew
Ed is on breakfast radio over here in Melbourne every morning, when this issue comes up he's always saying get the AFL to pay and run these things, you can't blame Ed for GWS and the other clubs paying for these academies he's arguing the opposite.

Ed is on breakfast radio over here in Melbourne every morning, when this issue comes up he's always saying get the AFL to pay and run these things, you can't blame Ed for GWS and the other clubs paying for these academies he's arguing the opposite.
It's not about paying for them, it's about having pathways for talent in non-traditional AFL areas.
Same as VIC, SA and WA like having access to locally produced players, NSW and QLD need to get young athletes into the system in a crowded marketplace and be rewarded for it.

Eddie thinks that all clubs should have access to all players available. But it ignores the realities here.

It's not about paying for them, it's about having pathways for talent in non-traditional AFL areas.
Same as VIC, SA and WA like having access to locally produced players, NSW and QLD need to get young athletes into the system in a crowded marketplace.
I know but I was commenting on General Giants post of saying the other clubs are hammering GWS with the cost. Which isn't the case.

Yes but then we lose the picks.
Im being selfish here i know.

What we need to do is have a local base players who are in goants territory.

Ed and the others are licking their lips at the fact we now have to pay even more in picks to get players we have put the money into over at the academy. If they hadnt of been crying for the last 4 years the AFL would of left it as is.
Which was fair and reasonable.

Ed and the others are licking their lips at the fact we now have to pay even more in picks to get players we have put the money into over at the academy. If they hadnt of been crying for the last 4 years the AFL would of left it as is.

Can I just play devils advocate here for a second (not that we don't already have enough of them -- hopefully I'm slightly less bitter) - If Hopper is at school at St Pats in Ballarat and playing in the TAC cup, would he really be that much worse off without the Giants academy assistance? Would we really risk losing him to rugby league? Heeney, who would have seriously considered RL if not for the academy are they types of guys we should have free rights to.

Can I just play devils advocate here for a second (not that we don't already have enough of them -- hopefully I'm slightly less bitter) - If Hopper is at school at St Pats in Ballarat and playing in the TAC cup, would he really be that much worse off without the Giants academy assistance? Would we really risk losing him to rugby league? Heeney, who would have seriously considered RL if not for the academy are they types of guys we should have free rights to.
Cant help it if a gem falls our way. Im sure Geelong didnt blink when Ablett did his bit with having boys

This is completely the wrong thread for this so I don't want to go on too much, but what you may think fair others don't, the ability to develop players for years before they are on an AFL list is a big advantage and we've seen what that has done for Heeney and the other prospects coming out of this years academies. No other club can develop players until they recruit them.

I don't think anyone is against developing the sport in NSW and Queensland and getting the local clubs as much local talent as possible, but at the moment a lot people don't see it as a complete fair competition at the moment, we need to get to somewhere where everyone can agree on. Anyway I'm not going on about this in this thread anymore, completely off topic.

Ed wants the academies gone. I don't know what he's said on breakfast radio but from just the first page of Google results, what he's said in the more widely published media has been a lot more inflammatory:
  • Collingwood president Eddie McGuire has warned Sydney's youth academy threatens to "destroy the game".
  • Collingwood president Eddie McGuire has again lashed out at the inequality of the national draft, declaring clubs outside of Victoria have the process "stitched up".
  • "We have to get back to giving the game back to the supporter base and back to Victorian football which has been drained right through the last period of time."
The AFL were paying for this stuff. Go back and have a look at the track record over the 10 years before 2013 to see how successful they were at running it.

This is completely the wrong thread for this so I don't want to go on too much, but what you may think fair others don't, the ability to develop players for years before they are on an AFL list is a big advantage and we've seen what that has done for Heeney and the other prospects coming out of this years academies. No other club can develop players until they recruit them.

I don't think anyone is against developing the sport in NSW and Queensland and getting the local clubs as much local talent as possible, but at the moment a lot people don't see it as a complete fair competition at the moment, we need to get to somewhere where everyone can agree on. Anyway I'm not going on about this in this thread anymore, completely off topic.

I'll believe it's a fair competition when every club has to travel interstate at least 40% of the time. I'll believe it's a fair competition when clubs aren't hamstrung by stadium deals, or by lacklustre training facilities, or by underfunded recruitment departments, or shorthanded coaching departments. I'll believe it's a fair competition when premium game slots aren't handed to the same clubs, over and over again, allowing them to build up their gate receipts at the cost of all the other clubs.

But for some reason when a supporter of a Melbourne-based club comes out against the academies in the sake of "fairness", they never seem to come out against the other intrinsic unfairnesses in our competition. It's a large part of why I find it hard to take getting preached at over "fairness" seriously, when it's more commonly just a papering over the omnipresent "it's still just our competition" attitude that so many Melbourne-based supporters have - check out the lamenting whenever there's a large number of non-Victorian teams in the eight as an example. If it's a national competition then it shouldn't matter who's in the eight.

These are the ones stuck in the twos that IMO you could get for them wanting to move, a can of coke and a pack of chips.

Liam Sumner - speedy winger type
Curtly Hampton - can do things with a football man was not meant to do. Both the good way and the bad way.
Andrew Phillips/Tom Downie - developing ruckmen

You asked for 'potentially really good players', so Dylan Shiel and Stephen Coniglio - who are really good players now - who have so far declined to sign contract extentions are out. Bring serious-sized cheques for their personal terms.
Those two are starting 22 players though, I Don't see why any of them would want to leave. I guess money talks.

I'll believe it's a fair competition when every club has to travel interstate at least 40% of the time. I'll believe it's a fair competition when clubs aren't hamstrung by stadium deals, or by lacklustre training facilities, or by underfunded recruitment departments, or shorthanded coaching departments. I'll believe it's a fair competition when premium game slots aren't handed to the same clubs, over and over again, allowing them to build up their gate receipts at the cost of all the other clubs.

But for some reason when a supporter of a Melbourne-based club comes out against the academies in the sake of "fairness", they never seem to come out against the other intrinsic unfairnesses in our competition. It's a large part of why I find it hard to take getting preached at over "fairness" seriously, when it's more commonly just a papering over the omnipresent "it's still just our competition" attitude that so many Melbourne-based supporters have - check out the lamenting whenever there's a large number of non-Victorian teams in the eight as an example. If it's a national competition then it shouldn't matter who's in the eight.
When talking about the academies why would Melbourne based supporters or anyone for that matter bring up the stadium deals or time slots? completely different issues, and this lamenting whenever Melbourne based clubs don't make finals is a bit over exaggerated, most people including myself don't care if we are watching Collingwood vs Essendon in a final or Brisbane vs Fremantle. The Sydney West Coast Rivalry during 05-06 was still massive here in vic just as Hawthorn and Geelongs rivalry was.

Give this junk a read.....
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-28/raiding-the-lost-and-injured-giants
might give you something to look at. Just note the contract status' of the players mentioned tho
Thank you, I really appreciate that. Losing a couple of those guys won't hurt a bit considering you have two gems in the academy. By the way, I'm only going by the article as I have no idea who Hopper and Kennedy are. Senior players from other clubs should seriously consider making the move to you guys. Imagine if somebody in the calibre of a Sloane, Rance, Suckling or Dangerfield decided to make the move. There are others but GWS have the currency and the clubs have the players. It'll be interesting to see what you guys come up with at the end of year. Thanks to all that responded.

When talking about the academies why would Melbourne based supporters or anyone for that matter bring up the stadium deals or time slots? completely different issues, and this lamenting whenever Melbourne based clubs don't make finals is a bit over exaggerated, most people including myself don't care if we are watching Collingwood vs Essendon in a final or Brisbane vs Fremantle. The Sydney West Coast Rivalry during 05-06 was still massive here in vic just as Hawthorn and Geelongs rivalry was.
Yet they do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're looking at it the wrong way. When talking about fairness, why do most Victorians on here only talk about academies? Other than that, they only talk about those that specifically make them worse (North talking about stadium deals, for instance). If they really were talking about fairness, they'd talk about everything that disadvantages part of the competition... yet strangely, that never happens.

Ok now i know your just screwing around and will discontinue here.
wrong thread for this as I said earlier, no more on this.

As for trades GWS don't need to bring anything in, just need to keep the list together.

One possible trade could be Patton though, his injury is a big unknown while clubs desperate after a key forward (Carlton, Brisbane and Gold Coast) all have high picks and could start a bidding war. With Cameron and McCarthy up forward he is not a desperate need, could possibly get something big in return while dodging a possible future problem

As for trades GWS don't need to bring anything in, just need to keep the list together.

One possible trade could be Patton though, his injury is a big unknown while clubs desperate after a key forward (Carlton, Brisbane and Gold Coast) all have high picks and could start a bidding war. With Cameron and McCarthy up forward he is not a desperate need, could possibly get something big in return while dodging a possible future problem
It's possible but I can't see the club wanting to part ways with him. We re-signed him right after he did his knee. Club is standing by him.

I know i said im done but had to stop you there.

The General goes nowhere

You're looking at it the wrong way. When talking about fairness, why do most Victorians on here only talk about academies? Other than that, they only talk about those that specifically make them worse (North talking about stadium deals, for instance). If they really were talking about fairness, they'd talk about everything that disadvantages part of the competition... yet strangely, that never happens.
once again Not going on about it anymore, pm if you want to go on further but stadium deals do get discussed and they don't effect on field as every club gets money allowances from the AFL for their bad stadium deals. PM for further or link to an appropriate thread.

Patton isn't going anywhere. Straight after he did his knee again he extended his contract.
He was looking great as a roaming KPF or KPB.

It's possible but I can't see the club wanting to part ways with him. We re-signed him right after he did his knee. Club is standing by him.
I know but McCarthy wasn't playing the way he is now.

once again Not going on about it anymore, pm if you want to go on further but stadium deals do get discussed and they don't effect on field as every club gets money allowances from the AFL for their bad stadium deals. PM for further or link to an appropriate thread.

If they don't affect on-field, why is North Melbourne selling games to Hobart? I'm sure they'd rather be playing in front of a more partisan crowd that requires less travel and less wear and tear on players' bodies instead of at a neutral location.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back