Welcome Harley Bennell (To make long awaited Dockers Debut!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who thinks an offer of a second round pick will be accepted is way off base. At the very least Gold Coast will take their time and try and convince Essendon or another team to make a play for Bennell. Which in turn means other teams might become more interested if they only have to offer a minimal amout to exceed our offer.

Mayne and our second pick to Melbourne for Howe and a third round pick to Gold Coast will almost be closer to the mark. That is still an extreme bargain for us.

Not sure what essendon are trying to do.. Bennells already come out via his agent and declared he wants to go to freo... GC have stated conversations with freo are advanced... But they somehow think they can grab him?

Me thinks it's just GC trying to get the best pick they can . Fair enough I guess.

Essendon will offer much more than us and try to force GC into dealing with them ( who wouldn't )

But at the end of the day HB isn't going to give a rats clacker what GC want, they just boned him FFS.

Who in their right mind would want to be traded to Essendon with the WADA hammer about to fall

Not sure what essendon are trying to do.. Bennells already come out via his agent and declared he wants to go to freo... GC have stated conversations with freo are advanced... But they somehow think they can grab him?

Me thinks it's just GC trying to get the best pick they can . Fair enough I guess.
There is a advertising and branding trick where talking about change is just as productive in regards to generating positive brand feelings as actual change.

So Worsfold needs to gain the favor of members and the football community and going out and trying for a win gets the same result as going out and getting a win.

Look at the lift in support for Freo's list manager. He has achieved nothing yet until the deal is done but the masses are calmed.

Anyone who thinks an offer of a second round pick will be accepted is way off base. At the very least Gold Coast will take their time and try and convince Essendon or another team to make a play for Bennell. Which in turn means other teams might become more interested if they only have to offer a minimal amout to exceed our offer.

Mayne and our second pick to Melbourne for Howe and a third round pick to Gold Coast will almost be closer to the mark. That is still an extreme bargain for us.
I can understand that Mayne, Barlow etc. may not be needed next year but I just can't see these blokes playing for anyone but Freo. They are the heart and soul of this club.

Bennell is a contracted player. Essendon could offer their next 10 first round picks, it doesn't make a difference. Bennell has to agree to the trade.

GC can either accept our offer or delist him, get nothing and pay the remainder of his contract out.

As Keyser said, the only thing GC have going for them is that they know we want to get the deal sorted quickly.

Happy to have a little sportmens bet that we won't give them our 1st rounder.

It will get done for our second rounder this yr or next or if thats not enough we will orchestrate a trade to get a pick 20-30 which will definitely get it done. Will be sorted by tuesday. With only 8 days to trade both clubs will get it sorted early to move on to the bigger fish that need frying.....

Bennell is a contracted player. Essendon could offer their next 10 first round picks, it doesn't make a difference. Bennell has to agree to the trade.

GC can either accept our offer or delist him, get nothing and pay the remainder of his contract out.

As Keyser said, the only thing GC have going for them is that they know we want to get the deal sorted quickly.

Happy to have a little sportmens bet that we won't give them our 1st rounder.

They could elect to keep him and if he steps out of line, breaks rules, drink between games, three strikes etc they could suspend him at no pay, they could be tough barstards if they wish. Would bring in the lawyers though IMO.

Being real, our first too high a price. Our second isn't enough (currently 35 and likely to increase to at least 36). Either Freo get inventive or Mayne alone should get the deal. The issue with shipping Mayne off is that if we don't get McCarthy then he is needed. I was just throwing some names. Gold Coast aren't going to get max value a bit like Brisbane a couple of years ago when the likes of Yeo, Polec, Docherty etc went they had to accept the best of a bad situation.

Maybe they get our first but we exchange our seconds rounders?

They currently hold an end of first rounder (19) plus pick second round (22). Our second is pick 35.

So if 35 is too far back, they take our 16 and we swap their 22 with our 35.

Would this even be considered?

McCarthy deal then has problems as our first pick is now effectively 6 spots further back.

Anyone?

Being real, our first too high a price. Our second isn't enough (currently 35 and likely to increase to at least 36). Either Freo get inventive or Mayne alone should get the deal. The issue with shipping Mayne off is that if we don't get McCarthy then he is needed. I was just throwing some names. Gold Coast aren't going to get max value a bit like Brisbane a couple of years ago when the likes of Yeo, Polec, Docherty etc went they had to accept the best of a bad situation.
I heard a rumour earlier in the week that GC offered Mayne a 4 year deal in exchange for Bennell but he turned it down. I have no idea whether that is true or not but as they say in such situations, it came from a "reliable source".

I heard a rumour earlier in the week that GC offered Mayne a 4 year deal in exchange for Bennell but he turned it down. I have no idea whether that is true or not but as they say in such situations, it came from a "reliable source".

If true this would be beautiful, near to good to beleive and why would Mayne not take it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More images required...

396699.jpg

392920.jpg

392810.jpg

390672.jpg

390619.jpg

383938.jpg

383962.jpg

375185.jpg

369054.jpg

365674.jpg

360736.jpg

349898.jpg

345041.jpg

343414.jpg

341870.jpg

333506.jpg

331404.jpg

332393.jpg

301720.jpg

Does anybody see Mayne still playing for Freo in 2-4 years time? Think he should take the deal.

If true this would be beautiful, near to good to beleive and why would Mayne not take it.

Basically GC would rather have Mayne then pick 35. I'd also rather keep Mayne and lose pick 35, so basically it's a no brainer that he stayed with Fremantle.

Plus all the kids he visits and charity work he does would be lost.

The blokes a kind soul and ambassador of our club. If he has to carry out that work whilst playing for Peel, so be it.

Mayne can find his form again. It's amazing how well players can play when heir spot in the 22 isn't a given. If he wants to stay and fight for his spot. It only makes our list stronger.

So you prefer Mayne over Bennall, not me even with the risk involved.

Maybe they get our first but we exchange our seconds rounders?

They currently hold an end of first rounder (19) plus pick second round (22). Our second is pick 35.

So if 35 is too far back, they take our 16 and we swap their 22 with our 35.

Would this even be considered?

McCarthy deal then has problems as our first pick is now effectively 6 spots further back.

Anyone?
Seems fair but we'd be no chance for McCarthy with our first being 22 and that could increase to 23 after Luenberger compo. Perhaps 19 for Bennell & our pick 35/36, keeps us slightly in the game.

Looking at Ryder last year, Port gave up their 1st and 2nd. Then they went with 4 draft selections with their first pick in the mid 50's, which was a bit silly. If we also did the 16 + 35 for 19 + Bennell swap I would also ask for their pick 40 in return. They are unlikely to use pick 40 when considering swaps for Gorringe, Smith & Dixon will net them more picks before our 35.

Seems fair but we'd be no chance for McCarthy with our first being 22 and that could increase to 23 after Luenberger compo. Perhaps 19 for Bennell & our pick 35/36, keeps us slightly in the game.

Looking at Ryder last year, Port gave up their 1st and 2nd. Then they went with 4 draft selections with their first pick in the mid 50's, which was a bit silly. If we also did the 16 + 35 for 19 + Bennell swap I would also ask for their pick 40 in return. They are unlikely to use pick 40 when considering swaps for Gorringe, Smith & Dixon will net them more picks before our 35.

True.

There would be a fair bit of shuffling about.

Pick 16 isn't really that high but it gives us some sort of hope for McCarthy. Pick 22... well we're just moving further from that prize.

I'd probably agree with GC that 35 is too low, but I'd also argue it's all our risk.

I think my first scenario would play out with no squabbling, if the McCarthy proposed deal was not out there.

Perhaps we will trade someone out for some greater upgrade of picks to satisfy GWS, if in fact they have even entertained the idea.

All Right, lets try to keep everybody happy.o_O.. I really don't like the idea of giving up all of our picks for potential, so gotta upgrade if they want 1st rounders.

FREO- give GWS 16 and 35 plus first round pick and second round pick 2016; GWS give FREO McCarthy pick 27 and 45 and second round pick from 2016
FREO- give GC pick 27 GC give FREO Bennel plus pick 40

That gives GC picks 3,(10 from port ie:Dickson)19, 22, 27 ,58, etc. pretty good 5 inside 27. So pick 40 is less valuable to them.
GWS (7 ? Trelor), 8, 16, 35, 63, etc. Plus an extra 1st round 2016 and downgraded(8 spots?) 2nd rounder to get that 1st pick in strong draft.
FREO picks 40,45,53,71, etc.(instead of 53, etc..) plus an 6-10 spot upgrade second rd. pick 2016.

I think that's fair and everybody gets a little bit.. I am not sold on 1st round this year and next year for McCarthy.. If we do that, we have to get some upgrades on other picks which won't hurt GWS as much as it will help us..

Mayne can find his form again. It's amazing how well players can play when heir spot in the 22 isn't a given. If he wants to stay and fight for his spot. It only makes our list stronger.
I agree with this....He probably knows that he has slipped down the selection order, so hopefully will get his goal kicking sorted over the pre-season. I have never doubted his forward defensive pressure.

All Right, lets try to keep everybody happy.o_O.. I really don't like the idea of giving up all of our picks for potential, so gotta upgrade if they want 1st rounders.

FREO- give GWS 16 and 35 plus first round pick and second round pick 2016; GWS give FREO McCarthy pick 27 and 45 and second round pick from 2016

That gives GC picks 3,(10 from port ie:Dickson)19, 22, 27 ,58, etc. pretty good 5 inside 27. So pick 40 is less valuable to them.
GWS (7 ? Trelor), 8, 16, 35, 63, etc. Plus an extra 1st round 2016 and downgraded(8 spots?) 2nd rounder to get that 1st pick in strong draft.
FREO picks 40,45,53,71, etc.(instead of 53, etc..) plus an 6-10 spot upgrade second rd. pick 2016.

I think that's fair and everybody gets a little bit.. I am not sold on 1st round this year and next year for McCarthy.. If we do that, we have to get some upgrades on other picks which won't hurt GWS as much as it will help us..

GWS won't downgrade picks.

We'd need to upgrade for them.

So our first 16 + 35 and plus our first next year.
They give us McCarthy and 45.

Very similar to the deal being talked about, but with a 10 place upgrade of our 2nd rounder for their 3rd. I think that's the sort of 'extra' we'd need to be looking at.

plot.jpg

I am having some minor issues following this oh god where do I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back