Game Day Preseason Game 1 vs Harley Reid & Mates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The great thing about the McDonald pickup is he's only 27. So we can keep him as depth for a few years, whereas Hamling is probably on his last contract
Yes exactly. And the capacity of our young key defenders is a real unknown for me. Really good prospects? Yes. But from being a really good prospect to matching it with Tom Hawkins is a fair journey. McDonald on the list allows that development time.

Yes exactly. And the capacity of our young key defenders is a real unknown for me. Really good prospects? Yes. But from being a really good prospect to matching it with Tom Hawkins is a fair journey. McDonald on the list allows that development time.
The gnashing of teeth over losing Hamling really puzzled me.

Not matching Sydney's offer seemed a no brainer. Solid Backup KPDs are often available in the lower leagues, Hawthorn picked up one just the other day.

Hamling moving on is the quintessential win-win scenario.

Want to see more run n carry out of the backline against Port. Jordan Clark still isn’t playing to his high potential. Wagner seems Peel bound to start the season. Walker is easing into it and will start at Peel.

Lots of pressure on Clark to inject speed coming out. Need more of it.
Clark was epic, had 29 disposals at high efficiency (82.8%).

might not be doing the lung-busting runs from HB but he's still critical to our transition however we're doing it.

Watching most of the game I think was the first time I legitimately believed that Treacy has actually surpassed Tabs. Tabs has unfortunately regressed since 2020 and Treacy now does everything Tabs does, plus slightly more.

I think Tabs' spot in the 22 is officially done, which is sad for him. Can see someone like Gold Coast picking him up for a couple of years at the end of the year

Yes, there’s a lot of delusional morons on the Buzzard’s board who think that we only won the game through cheating, as we used 36 players to their 24, meaning that we got to swap 8 players for the second half which meant that we ran the game out better.
We were winning already when they swapped. They need a rocket surgeon to spell it out for them.

Did Sonny come off injured? Read some posters saying he was limping during the game.
He got a knock to the knee right at the end of the 2nd qtr, he was a no show for the rest of the game but likely to have been pre-planned that way just like Fyfe etc.

JLo was quizzed on Sonny in the post match but he didn't seem concerned and just mentioned that it was 'a knock to the knee'.

Watching most of the game I think was the first time I legitimately believed that Treacy has actually surpassed Tabs. Tabs has unfortunately regressed since 2020 and Treacy now does everything Tabs does, plus slightly more.

I think Tabs' spot in the 22 is officially done, which is sad for him. Can see someone like Gold Coast picking him up for a couple of years at the end of the year
Unfortunately Treacy doesn't yet do everything Tabs did, otherwise it'd be a no brainer.

Tabs has always been rusty before he gets a run at it, so time will yet tell if we can write him off completely or he may get closer to what he was.

If he doesn't, it becomes easy.
If he does, will be down to how Treacy develops.

Pretty happy overall with how all that went.

Most importantly, no injuries.

If we'd kicked a bit straighter we would have had a huge margin in the end. Greasy conditions didn't help, but good to get the rust out in a preseason game. Feel like Freddy has games where he sprays them everywhere and others where he kicks them out of his arse.

This weekend going to be very interesting to see where we're really at. Again, and I can't stress this enough, no injuries please. Loving our player availability at the moment.

Treacy still fumbles it too much for mine to be a consistent performer.

He deserves rd 1 and the first block of the season, but myself and others are far from convinced yet.
No problem with you sharing your opinion but please stop with the and others attribution to try and somehow add weight to it. It’s not fair to do that like it’s a whole lotta people who’s thoughts you are privy to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No problem with you sharing your opinion but please stop with the and others attribution to try and somehow add weight to it. It’s not fair to do that like it’s a whole lotta people who’s thoughts you are privy to.
My sources agree with your comment.

Unfortunately Treacy doesn't yet do everything Tabs did, otherwise it'd be a no brainer.

Tabs has always been rusty before he gets a run at it, so time will yet tell if we can write him off completely or he may get closer to what he was.

If he doesn't, it becomes easy.
If he does, will be down to how Treacy develops.

I hope you're right for Tabs' sake. Either way I think Tabs will start the year in the WAFL though

To be fair, this is literally evidenced by posts on this board.. I’ve said things along these lines myself here. You can see what people think, because they write it here for others to read.. you don’t need to read minds!

To be fair, this is literally evidenced by posts on this board.. I’ve said things along these lines myself here. You can see what people think, because they write it here for others to read.. you don’t need to read minds!
It is pointless though, on an opinion site, to claim that other people agree with you and that makes your argument stronger. It’s not an election and you win with 51%. Make your argument, defend it if you wish and let others agree if they want.

Really really good interview with Mark Duffield here.

Touches on our issues from last year - losing the players in the middle from 2022 made us particularly young and small as a midfield group. We were 16th in the comp for contested ball and particularly bad in the first 2 weeks against St Kilda and North. It meant that when people were ranting about our transition and ball movement the issue was because we had to move the ball from deep in our backline so much i.e. through 18 opposition players, instead of further up the ground from a win in a contested situation and past about 8 or 10.

Basically moving Young to the middle and putting Fyfe in there is intended to fix a lot of contested ball issues, which will in turn fix our ball movement issues. I can probably see Brodie getting some games again too

Really really good interview with Mark Duffield here.

Touches on our issues from last year - losing the players in the middle from 2022 made us particularly young and small as a midfield group. We were 16th in the comp for contested ball and particularly bad in the first 2 weeks against St Kilda and North. It meant that when people were ranting about our transition and ball movement the issue was because we had to move the ball from deep in our backline so much i.e. through 18 opposition players, instead of further up the ground from a win in a contested situation and past about 8 or 10.

Basically moving Young to the middle and putting Fyfe in there is intended to fix a lot of contested ball issues, which will in turn fix our ball movement issues. I can probably see Brodie getting some games again too

Definitely can see others rotated at times.
Guys with size or will be bulls in time Johnson and Erasmus.
Simpson has the speed of the mark, or moving to read the play and
create distance.
Young has the kicking game. Terriers in Serong, Brayshaw. That midfield is
In time going to be compared to the Lyon years.

It is pointless though, on an opinion site, to claim that other people agree with you and that makes your argument stronger. It’s not an election and you win with 51%. Make your argument, defend it if you wish and let others agree if they want.
I mean, yeh, but who cares if people argue that way? Just respond to the point, as you say weight of numbers doesn’t matter. Everything on here is mostly pointless, fans talking about what position Matt Johnson should play is pointless, if we want to crack down on pointless arguments and posts, we’d never have anything to talk about.. and I’d be banned!

Anyway won’t post on it again, just thought the criticism was a bit unwarranted..

What’s everyone’s thoughts on our small fwds are we happy with switta and Freddy or is there a concern we don’t have a goal kicking small like a Cameron/toby/jamie Elliott/liam Ryan who can pop up and kick a bag. Schultz was good in that way but feel we are really missing a prime walters ballaz type and not sure who can take that step and kick 40+

What’s everyone’s thoughts on our small fwds are we happy with switta and Freddy or is there a concern we don’t have a goal kicking small like a Cameron/toby/jamie Elliott/liam Ryan who can pop up and kick a bag. Schultz was good in that way but feel we are really missing a prime walters ballaz type and not sure who can take that step and kick 40+
I sometimes get the impression Sturt could kick a bag. Maybe we can get away with a team effort up forward and not have to have the small forward kicking more than one or two. I hope we recruit that type though, at some point

I sometimes get the impression Sturt could kick a bag. Maybe we can get away with a team effort up forward and not have to have the small forward kicking more than one or two. I hope we recruit that type though, at some point
But Sturt isnt close to being a small forward. I'm a massive Sturt fan, natural 3rd tall forward, but he aint no small forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back