Game Day Preseason Game 2 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

He did the run down tackle just on 50 that someone then butchered taking the advantage as well.
I remember that - bloody Brayshaw took the advantage and he did a rushed check side type kick to no one’s advantage. Ended up being a free kick against Josh Treacy who was obviously out of position. Was really dumb by Brayshaw he had time to pull up and stick hand up and throw the ball to Sturt. Brayshaw seemed too obsessed with playing on quickly be it hand or foot. Caused a no. of errors.

No idea what you're talking about

Sturt laid the tackle and got a port player holding the ball, Both Sturt and the port player were on the ground

Brayshaw then picked up the ball and booted it forward, it bounced and a port player picked it up and ran off

How the hell could Sturt do anything else there? Brayshaw should have held the ball and Sturt would have had a kick 55 out to try lace out a target (one of his strengths)

EDIT: 4 mins left in the second, everything I've said is correct except the ball actually just goes to space and Esava gets a free kick, braindead decision by Brayshaw, nothing Sturt could do there, commentators go on about it for a minute after too
Yep was a free kick against Treacy. To be fair he was way out of position and the kick coming in was terrible. Just stupid by Brayshaw. I love Brayshaw but a number of times he got the ball and moved it too quickly. I guess that is his instruction when on the wing but seriously there were a number of turnovers.

I remember that - bloody Brayshaw took the advantage and he did a rushed check side type kick to no one’s advantage. Ended up being a free kick against Josh Treacy who was obviously out of position. Was really dumb by Brayshaw he had time to pull up and stick hand up and throw the ball to Sturt. Brayshaw seemed too obsessed with playing on quickly be it hand or foot. Caused a no. of errors.

I reckon Brayshaw (and Serong) have KPIs / targets set around moving the ball on quickly and Brayshaw is adjusting to how that looks at the top level.

Supporter of JOM and will play rd 1..but gee he was like the invisible man out there. Needs to get more involved than that as a senior player.
You never replied to my question asking how many games you have played. Are you even a true supporter?? You are negative about eveeeeerything. Put the game in context & how many best 22 were out. The forward line combination has not played together ever!!! Voss/Tabs playing for a spot in the team. Maybe they failed to keep the game structure & was selfish in doing so. Treacy is a team player day in day out. I agree Treacy & Sturt didnt fire but i believe they both have a role in the team. Hope Treacy/Sturt doesnt consume to much of your head space today

It was a preaseason match..... We were missing 8 best 22 players. 4 of them were our best forwards.

Nothing was on the line.
Winning every ball wasn't important.
Getting kms into the legs and finding some touch.
Blooding some youth and testing out some players.

If in round 1 we come out and get blasted by 60 points by all means get the pitchforks but i won't be losing it over a meaningless preseason game.

You never replied to my question asking how many games you have played. Are you even a true supporter?? You are negative about eveeeeerything. Put the game in context & how many best 22 were out. The forward line combination has not played together ever!!! Voss/Tabs playing for a spot in the team. Maybe they failed to keep the game structure & was selfish in doing so. Treacy is a team player day in day out. I agree Treacy & Sturt didnt fire but i believe they both have a role in the team. Hope Treacy/Sturt doesnt consume to much of your head space today
Just under 200 games at local level..you?

Treacy is a bash crash undersized ruck and Sturt is soft and s**t. End convo.

Does anyone know who Ryan Burton was playing on? He had 13 marks and 30 disposals.

Will be good practice at defending the quick rebound coming out of our forward line.

Agree with all of that, except I’m expecting us to win/break even in the stoppage game. If our mids get beaten by a group with soldo leading the ruck it could be a very long year! Given our for forward line omissions I don’t expect us to win the game.

For all those melting, this result was obvious a day out from the game. The disappointments were the way we tried to transition from our D50 and losing the non stoppage contest. we won the stoppage game despite Darcy being rested half the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rewatching and to half time it’s Darcy Fyfe Pearce standing up. Young could’ve had 4 goals already. Quieter than expected from AB Serong JOM. Sharp isn’t playing rd1 and Hughes Worner are weak spots in the back. Otherwise I didn’t mind the hit out with a hard opponent. kicking out from fullback still as predictable and stupid as ever.
His 2nd half was better and finished well I thought. Even got forward and pinched a goal with a nice set shot.

You won't like the 3rd Q. Skip that.

Look out for some Bailey Banfield highlights in the 4th ;)

I reckon Brayshaw (and Serong) have KPIs / targets set around moving the ball on quickly and Brayshaw is adjusting to how that looks at the top level.
I reckon it’s a wing thing for Brayshaw and agree he is adjusting. I’d have to watch that s*#tshow again which I’m not but on first viewing it seemed he was on the wing a bit and the majority of the over the top quick play ons were when he was out on the wing.

One of Serong’s strengths is his quick handball out of conjestion. He wasn’t as bad as Brayshaw but did make a couple of uncharacteristic errors by hand.

Melt incoming...

It wasn't a meaningless hitout. Unlike previous years where multiple games allowed for experimenting, this was our final rehearsal, and unfortunately, we were way off the mark.

Which pre-season games this week haven't gone as expected?

Positives

• Young and Fyfe. Amazing!
  • Pearce is back to his confident self.
  • Our backline held up pretty well. Hopefully back to 2022.

Negatives

• Serong. WTF was that, some of the worst ball use I've seen from him.
  • Treacy. Zero footy IQ and touch.
  • Sturt. No words.
  • Brayshaw. Seems injured or something. No drive through his legs at all.
  • Gameplan. We rolled back too hard to help our defence. I get it, but we gave our targets ahead of the ball zero opportunity.
  • Skills and speed. Way off AFL standard.

We are facing arguably the team with the best list in round 1, coupled with the Port performance, losses of Shultz and Henry, and our overall 2023 performance, if you're not concerned about potentially losing by 10 goals, you might be a little delusional, IMO.

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong and I do see lots of potential in our list, but right now, I'm just hoping not to be mentally checked out for the season at halftime.

Melt incoming...

It wasn't a meaningless hitout. Unlike previous years where multiple games allowed for experimenting, this was our final rehearsal, and unfortunately, we were way off the mark.

Positives

Negatives

• Sturt. No words.
  • Gameplan. We rolled back too hard to help our defence. I get it, but we gave our targets ahead of the ball zero opportunity.

We are facing arguably the team with the best list in round 1, coupled with the Port performance, losses of Shultz and Henry, and our overall 2023 performance, if you're not concerned about potentially losing by 10 goals, you might be a little delusional, IMO.

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong and I do see lots of potential in our list, but right now, I'm just hoping not to be mentally checked out for the season at halftime.
Good write up.

Personnel aside the ball movement and kick outs were awful.

I’m fuming with that performance, that said I reckon we’ll beat Lions. Rd 1 at home reckon we get the W.

I think both half full / half empty approaches are fair. It was a shamozzle of ball movement and winning loose ball which is something we were all concerned about last year BUT there are genuine reasons it was THAT bad
  • Tackling / loose ball get is an intensity thing and that means nothing on an interstate preseason game. That can be turned around and I fully believe the midfield won’t get bullied this year
  • There was some directive to use the corridor on rebound at all costs that can be reviewed because there were numerous brain dead hand passes from several good players that shouldn’t happen most weeks
  • We have no depth up front and can not cover Amiss and Jackson in case that wasn’t obvious. This can have a massive massive impact on ball movement.
So yeah it was s**t but it means close to as much as the WC game which we all know meant nothing

I think both half full / half empty approaches are fair. It was a shamozzle of ball movement and winning loose ball which is something we were all concerned about last year BUT there are genuine reasons it was THAT bad
  • Tackling / loose ball get is an intensity thing and that means nothing on an interstate preseason game. That can be turned around and I fully believe the midfield won’t get bullied this year
  • There was some directive to use the corridor on rebound at all costs that can be reviewed because there were numerous brain dead hand passes from several good players that shouldn’t happen most weeks
  • We have no depth up front and can not cover Amiss and Jackson in case that wasn’t obvious. This can have a massive massive impact on ball movement.
So yeah it was s**t but it means close to as much as the WC game which we all know meant nothing
After last session i have vowed to be more relaxed... it was so disappointing, heartbreaking. Watching all those guys just leave in 2022 after finally seeing some growth. Then in 2023 we lose 2 more. So stuff it. Cooper Simpson is already better than Henry. Schultz hurts but we can replace him with Emmett.

Melt incoming...

Positives

Negatives

• Sturt. No words.

Id be concerned if our full strength team was out there for 4 qtrs and we played like that...but it wasn't. No where near our best at all. You're right that it still isnt an excuse for poor skills but it wasnt for keeps.

We can go on about how all our forwards were missing but it looked like none of the forwards chosen lead into space at all. They were just standing behind their opponent waving for the one out the back. Most of our entries against WC were just lobbed into a pack as well. If on the rare occasion we did lead against Port we kicked it over our heads.

We can go on about how all our forwards were missing but it looked like none of the forwards chosen lead into space at all. They were just standing behind their opponent waving for the one out the back. Most of our entries against WC were just lobbed into a pack as well. If on the rare occasion we did lead against Port we kicked it over our heads.

Any forward line is a sum of its parts. We were missing 3 or 4 of our first choice forward line. If Jackson and Amiss were playing it would have forced Ratugolea and Allir to be more accountable. I have never really rated Tabs but I do rate Treacy, and I think would have been much better if he was the third banana. The delivery was terrible too (nothing new there) it’s pretty hard to look like a good forward line when the ball isn’t getting kicked to your advantage. I turned the game off at 3/4 time cos I was getting grumpy but I’m not putting too much stock into a pre-season game. Like I said before North beat Collingwood last week… I still think we’re on the right track development wise, and this year we probs won’t be top 4 material but I do think we’ll see an improvement on last year.
2025 hopefully we find ourselves a top quality small forward and this is when the list will go bang IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

2025 hopefully we find ourselves a top quality small forward and this is when the list will go bang IMO.
It's not just a small forward we need. If Sturt doesn't come on this season than we also need to replace him. If we trade in Macca we won't have many left over picks to trade with.

It's not just a small forward we need. If Sturt doesn't come on this season than we also need to replace him. If we trade in Macca we won't have many left over picks to trade with.
If Emmett has already gone past Sturt, then we still only really need 1 first choice small to replace Walters.

Emmett, Freddy, Switta (whether you like it or not), Walters (replacement).

Also expecting Simpson to rotate as a forward for at least his first 3-4 seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back