Game Day Preseason Game 2 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Motlop OOC in 2025.. Just sayin
He's still young and very early in his career, but he doesn't impress me much. I'd go so far as to say for a small forward, he is relatively slow and that doesn't auger well. Maybe I'm too harsh.....Sonny was never quick, but his skills were always elite. Just don't see it with Motlop.

I’m trying to stay positive but if I was to be honest/realistic I think JL will probably be sacked 2/3 of the way through the season and in 2025 we have a MASSIVE bounce up the ladder.

I don’t think the players we have aren’t capable of correcting our rebound 50 issues but it doesn’t even seem to be identified as an issue. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see it corrected as soon as the game after JL is sacked tbh. It’s so painfully obvious and would improve us massively if we can cop it not working perfectly right from the start.
Right
So which coach is coming in to steer us through this massive correction
?

I’m trying to stay positive but if I was to be honest/realistic I think JL will probably be sacked 2/3 of the way through the season and in 2025 we have a MASSIVE bounce up the ladder.

I don’t think the players we have aren’t capable of correcting our rebound 50 issues but it doesn’t even seem to be identified as an issue. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see it corrected as soon as the game after JL is sacked tbh. It’s so painfully obvious and would improve us massively if we can cop it not working perfectly right from the start.

Longmuir and others within the club have said that is an issue in press conferences so it has definitely been identified.

As apuchar said, there is a risk that it sits as something the players are too afraid to do rather than it not being an instruction. It reminds me of the Wagner interview last year, where he talked about being scared to take the game on and execute kicks but Walters encouraged him saying he just needs to go for it and that that is his role. I doubt Walters would say something different to what the whole coaching staff wanted.

Perhaps it is scary because often our mids/wings/ruck haven't been in place since Acres (and maybe also Darcy's absence had a domino effect up the ground as well), and so that the people that are being kicked to are making it very difficult?

Right
?
We need more experience at the club regardless if JLo stays or goes.
Leon Cameron former GWS coach joined Sydney this year.
So many successful clubs have 1 or even 2 former coaches in their corner.
When does the soft cap from Covid get removed?
Instead the club will focus on the next white knight in McDonald, and talk up
a decade of success for the fans and windows. We’ve heard it all before.

I didn’t even watch the game, and don’t care for the score, but the fact ppl in here and the media itself are saying we played boring and safe shows me that nothing has changed since last year with our playing style. Same old Fremantle. All talk and excitement during pre season and all the excuses for the score but ultimately will fail miserably. If we’re not showing excitement and haste in how we play by round 6 JL needs to be gone before he completely destroys the place and causes our vic kids to go home due to lack of hope

You may be correct but it doesn't explain why we got Wagner then and why chapman and Walker used to break the lines so much when they were playing. The players said it is themselves that don't have the courage to do it. Maybe that is just the way it. Clark said in an interview recently that that is his role, yet against Port he again didn't do it. Infact there were times he could have played on and didn't or could have run past for the handball and instead chose to offer a small lead. It is instinctive and natural for Wagner to do it. It doesn't seem to be for Clark,or Ryan for whatever reason.
I've said it before, the way we play screams of a coach that rates minimising turnover above everything. That's why he repetitively talks about deep and repeat entries into the forward 50 and why we have stationary forwards deep waving their arms around and 'holding their position', he doesn't want to lose 1 on 1s to leading forwards as it's harder to defend against turnover when it doesn't come off. And it's why there are mixed messages on ball movement in the backline and we revert to safe movement, because he says we want to move it faster but he also says we don't want to take too many risks, or however Luke Ryan tried to explain it.
It worked in 2022 and we were the number 1 team for turnover points differential because we conceded so little from turnover. But like everything in the AFL it's been found out pretty quickly and teams have adjusted because we're very predictable, which makes us very easy to defend. In reference to the port game, Jackson changes that dynamic for us quite a bit when he can impact enough with his freakiness

I didn’t even watch the game, and don’t care for the score, but the fact ppl in here and the media itself are saying we played boring and safe shows me that nothing has changed since last year with our playing style. Same old Fremantle. All talk and excitement during pre season and all the excuses for the score but ultimately will fail miserably. If we’re not showing excitement and haste in how we play by round 6 JL needs to be gone before he completely destroys the place and causes our vic kids to go home due to lack of hope
I think by rd18 we’ll know if we’re making finals and more importantly there will be enough body of work displayed. Round 6 is a little early.

I think by rd18 we’ll know if we’re making finals and more importantly there will be enough body of work displayed. Round 6 is a little early.
If we’re 2 and 4 by round 6 and there’s been no change and no improvement that’s not too early. JL has had 4 years.

If we’re 2 and 4 by round 6 and there’s been no change and no improvement that’s not too early. JL has had 4 years.
I think the season can still be salvaged from there. 1-6 or 0-6 is a different story.

If we do decide to pull the trigger, you would like to see the care taker which would be JG get a fair crack at it. Harvey was given the last 7 games and went 4-3 in 07. Something like that as JG would no doubt put his hand up.

I think the season can still be salvaged from there. 1-6 or 0-6 is a different story.

If we do decide to pull the trigger, you would like to see the care taker which would be JG get a fair crack at it. Harvey was given the last 7 games and went 4-3 in 07. Something like that as JG would no doubt put his hand up.
I agree with what you’re saying mostly but if there’s no change early on, JL has to go. He’s had 4 years, lots of talk etc, if nothing has changed by round 6 that’s a clear answer. We can keep pretending we’re amazing and that success is just around the corner, but that’s what we always do. I’m very concerned that our last pre season game showed us still playing slow and safe, and I don’t care about the score.

Last edited:
Right
?

I can’t answer that.

What I’ll say though is that every premiership coach since Mick Malthouse in 2010 has been coaching for the first time.

People can bring up the dream of Chris Scott which would be fine.

As for other experienced I don’t think a coach that was sacked previously has won a flag in 20 years.

I don’t believe I or any other fan on this board can judge who the best assistant coach in the country is but JL ain’t working it’s time for a change.

I can’t answer that.

What I’ll say though is that every premiership coach since Mick Malthouse in 2010 has been coaching for the first time.

As for other experienced I don’t think a coach that was sacked previously has won a flag in 20 years.

I don’t believe I or any other fan on this board can judge who the best assistant coach in the country is but JL ain’t working it’s time for a change.
One person isn’t getting to break the drought. If Jlo goes who goes with him?
Bell has already been moved sideways, club needs people who know how to win.
Jlo has the whole year to perform for me, it’s the club itself that is under the gun.
Next coach in waiting with a WA connection Cox, Carr, Hanson.
If Cox, Carr lead Sydney, Port, then their former bosses would be good additions
in some capacity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t answer that.

It's interesting that 2nd time coaches don't tend to win. There's no obvious reason (to me) that it shouldn't be possible but it doesn't happen. Is it just odds? I don't know the spread.
Tend to agree with both of you

I’m hesitant to judge JL this early in the season but there were some very concerning signs in that Port game that made it feel like groundhogs day

It’s been said to death that JL doesn’t have that mongrel streak that’s needed to get through a gruelling season and ultimately take the flag home .
I think his work in gelling the team and changing the culture has been good though and maybe a fired up new coach will benefit from that

I can’t see a Scott or Hardwick producing more premierships , surely there tickets are spent ? Humans have only got so much they can give

Anything between 6-10th position will probably be a pass mark for JL this season but thats that mediocrity zone that probably gets him through and the status quo doesn’t change .

It’s not just a Luke Ryan problem.

He’s the worst but I’ve seen Clark and Aish do the same thing. These three are supposed to be our main three rebounders…

All are naturally good enough kicks to hit the slightly more risky option enough of the time that I’d be happy enough to cop the odd mistake.
Far out, how many years has that been going on? Not gunna stop until the coaching panel remove their blindfolds for match day.

We need more experience at the club regardless if JLo stays or goes.
Leon Cameron former GWS coach joined Sydney this year.
So many successful clubs have 1 or even 2 former coaches in their corner.
When does the soft cap from Covid get removed?
Instead the club will focus on the next white knight in McDonald, and talk up
a decade of success for the fans and windows. We’ve heard it all before.
Honestly think McDonald would be a good addition and would love a move to WA .
I reckon Amiss could be a weapon moving up the ground a bit , very good at finding space but not quite big enough to clunk them overhead ( has got a leap though )

Club in general I’m not sure , I feel like the culture and membership growth means they are doing something right but I’m not close enough to make a real judgement.

I've said it before, the way we play screams of a coach that rates minimising turnover above everything. That's why he repetitively talks about deep and repeat entries into the forward 50 and why we have stationary forwards deep waving their arms around and 'holding their position', he doesn't want to lose 1 on 1s to leading forwards as it's harder to defend against turnover when it doesn't come off. And it's why there are mixed messages on ball movement in the backline and we revert to safe movement, because he says we want to move it faster but he also says we don't want to take too many risks, or however Luke Ryan tried to explain it.
It worked in 2022 and we were the number 1 team for turnover points differential because we conceded so little from turnover. But like everything in the AFL it's been found out pretty quickly and teams have adjusted because we're very predictable, which makes us very easy to defend. In reference to the port game, Jackson changes that dynamic for us quite a bit when he can impact enough with his freakiness

Well I guess it is the difference between a drone that drops bombs from above and a kamikaze drone. One can only be used once.

Honestly think McDonald would be a good addition and would love a move to WA .
I reckon Amiss could be a weapon moving up the ground a bit , very good at finding space but not quite big enough to clunk them overhead ( has got a leap though )

Club in general I’m not sure , I feel like the culture and membership growth means they are doing something right but I’m not close enough to make a real judgement.
Yep he would, but I would take Cox too😜
Hanson at the Blues would be another
one to add.
Let the world know we want a contingency plan and see what strikes.

Yep he would, but I would take Cox too😜
Hanson at the Blues would be another
one to add.
Let the world know we want a contingency plan and see what strikes.
I think Dean Cox has more of a mean streak that JL, which would be useful but if people don't like listening to JL, wait until you hear Dean Cox interviewed....sounds like a big dope! Ummmm, the boys ummmmm

We seem to have a good system late last year. Why change it..just don’t understand! We cracked the code I thought.
Well isnt this contradicting to everything you have posted on here. Sturt & Treacy both played in all games in the 2nd half of the season

I think Dean Cox has more of a mean streak that JL, which would be useful but if people don't like listening to JL, wait until you hear Dean Cox interviewed....sounds like a big dope! Ummmm, the boys ummmmm
I am sure that JL has a pretty mean streak; it just doesn't get shown outside closed doors.

It's interesting that 2nd time coaches don't tend to win. There's no obvious reason (to me) that it shouldn't be possible but it doesn't happen. Is it just odds? I don't know the spread.
Yes I always thought and has been trying to find the reasons for it since RTB sacked and discussion started at that time for a new coach and several names came up including JLO. I may be wrong but in my thoughts the factors may be........

1. Game keep changing every year and the game get past old coaches and after 10 to 15 years the new coaches will be on a different level to them?

2. As players usually speak between 25 to 28, there would be a peak age for AFL coaches as well ? Humans strategic brain ability peaks at a certain age and dimishes after a certain age.In chess most of the grand master get it between 30 to 45 I think.After that I haven't seen them that successful. Since coaching has a lot to do with strategy, will this be a reason?

3.When you do a coaching for 15 to 20 years, that make you tired and monotonous of the job?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes I always thought and has been trying to find the reasons for it since RTB sacked and discussion started at that time for a new coach and several names came up including JLO. I may be wrong but in my thoughts the factors may be........

1. Game keep changing every year and the game get past old coaches and after 10 to 15 years the new coaches will be on a different level to them?

2. As players usually speak between 25 to 28, there would be a peak age for AFL coaches as well ? Humans strategic brain ability peaks at a certain age and dimishes after a certain age.In chess most of the grand master get it between 30 to 45 I think.After that I haven't seen them that successful. Since coaching has a lot to do with strategy, will this be a reason?

3.When you do a coaching for 15 to 20 years, that make you tired and monotonous of the job?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I honestly have NFI.

What a pointless post, I didn't watch anything, but you're all verifying my existing opinions, so now I'm going to repeat them for you.
👍

Yeah i didnt see it either and personally couldnt give a stuff about the scoreline.

But agree if we are only managing to score 53 points in the first few games then enough is enough.

We have been a bland side for nearly a decade. JL needs to let them off the chain. If it means we concede a few extra goals here and there so be it.

We need to add a vibrancy and spark to the club. Be more brave and attacking.

The colour Purple in a competition where majority of clubs who are red, white, black & blue should be a bit of x-factor and point of difference to appeal to a greater audience.

Atm we look & feel as stale as what we were when RTB was punted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back