Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Now me might start hearing the question depending on how well he starts about whether we got the top 3 players in the 2019 draft. Can only imagine Young wouldn't have fallen to 7 if list managers knew he would transition to gun mid, or if he started out in the middle. Looking at that draft, It could end as 1) Serong. 2) Jackson. 3) Young, above Warner & NAnderson, depending on this seasons outcomes.

If Serong and Young are better than Noah Anderson, we are on the verge of a dynasty.

The guy is an absolute gun, but doesn’t get quite as much love because he is at GC. Certainly a player who can win a Brownlow medal even amongst the absolute stack of young gun mids in the comp right now.

Personally I don’t think Young will get to that level, but he’s not so far off as that it isn’t possible.

If Serong and Young are better than Noah Anderson, we are on the verge of a dynasty.

The guy is an absolute gun, but doesn’t get quite as much love because he is at GC. Certainly a player who can win a Brownlow medal even amongst the absolute stack of young gun mids in the comp right now.

Personally I don’t think Young will get to that level, but he’s not so far off as that it isn’t possible.
Serong is better than Anderson at the moment. More consistent.

Serong is better than Anderson at the moment. More consistent.
Very borderline, you could say Anderson is more damaging. Serong obviously has an All Australian guernsey so that supports your view.

If the draft happened again tomorrow, I think most clubs would take Anderson first of the two because of his size, but who knows. Both are absolute guns.

It’s a bit like the old Voss/Hird/Buckley argument, there’s no real right answer, any of them can be bog on any given day.

Very borderline, you could say Anderson is more damaging. Serong obviously has an All Australian guernsey so that supports your view.

If the draft happened again tomorrow, I think most clubs would take Anderson first of the two because of his size, but who knows. Both are absolute guns.

It’s a bit like the old Voss/Hird/Buckley argument, there’s no real right answer, any of them can be bog on any given day.
Disagree, but each to their own.

It’s up there with all the people who are hoping HR cops an injury and ’fails’ - simply because he’s an underage gun that others are talking up. I haven’t seen Reid talking himself up that much, unless I’ve missed it?
To be fair, you could say the same about NicNat. Media fatigue is a thing though.

I had no feeling one way or the other towards her but the media saturation is bizarre and off-putting. It's a bit like Naitanui actually, it's not really their fault but when someone is repeatedly shoved in your face with sycophantic hero worship overtones it instinctively makes you oppositional. I was hanging out for the sports report on Ch 9 yesterday and they actually had a "Kelcecam" like that bit from The Simpsons. They were waiting for him at the airport like it was the ******* Dalai Lama's first appearance from exile. Taylor is one thing but do we really have to put up with that meathead charisma-vacuum too?

Aaaaanyway I digress. Footy!!! Walker is progressing nicely. Cox is back in the gym and could play round 1. Chappie is already running and looking at an early return. Switta made a full recovery after a weekend. Wagner back on light duties. Emmett and Sturt look on track for round 1 after a hiccup. And this is all with higher work loads on the track and in the gym. How bloody good is our s&c team these days? If we go far this year they're gonna be the real MVP's no question. It's actually a bit surreal after decades of mismanagement.

So sounds like it is a good thing we’re not kicking off our season till round 2 this year!!
Timing it all well by the looks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This looks great:
I would love to see that video of Super Cooper singing Tay Tay and the rest of the group going mental around him. What a cool experience for him.

Disagree, but each to their own.

I think Gold Coast would still take both Anderson and Rowell but in reverse order for the same reason they picked how they did back then anyway.

Melbourne would be disappointed to lose Jackson, but got a flag out of him. It's Adelaide who would want their pick again.

If the draft happens again tomorrow this is how I would see the clubs taking their selections:
1. Green (arguably a top 10 player in the league already, elevated to another level in massive finals last sept)
2. Jackson (gets extra points for being tall compared to the others)
3. Anderson (personally would have Serong here but I think more clubs would take Anderson before him because of the extra 10cm)
4. Serong (leader, AA, all round gun)

That top tier of 4 are slightly ahead of the next batch in my view.

5. Chad Warner (slight down year in 23 put him out of the top tier for now)
6. Will Day (proven quality mid puts him slightly ahead of young)
7. Young (if he becomes a gun mid he flies into the top bracket above)
8. Rowell (very good player, but is the more of a workhouse than a true match winner?)
9 - 13, pick your order any given day.
-Pickett (best small Forward in this draft with X factor to Match and still improving)
  • Flanders (rising rapidly, great finish to last season)
  • ash (underrated player nationally)
  • Sam de Koning (let’s not forget he was a gun in 2022).
  • Kiddie Coleman (possibly the most skilful player in the draft)

That’s 13 very high quality AFL players there any club would be thrilled to have and should all play 200 games plus.
Kemp, weightman, Bergman, Riccardi Rivers and Frederick are some other decent players for this draft in the next batch.

I reckon Serong and Young will deliver what the team needs in the same way as can NAnderson for GC. Just think they're all in the same ball park as far as talent and influence. I'm not a big fan of trying to say who's 'better' than who, rather than who can deliver what for the team to win, unless it's outright obvious :p

I would love to see that video of Super Cooper singing Tay Tay and the rest of the group going mental around him. What a cool experience for him.
Can we get a Souper Cooper happening and get some Heinz sponsorships on the table?

Controversial call but I think Anderson has got to the stage he’s overrated because he’s from GC. A lot of GC players get the “if he was VIC” thing but everyone is aware of it and wants them to do well. Flanders will be better than Anderson when careers are done IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the draft happens again tomorrow this is how I would see the clubs taking their selections:
1. Green (arguably a top 10 player in the league already, elevated to another level in massive finals last sept)
2. Jackson (gets extra points for being tall compared to the others)
3. Anderson (personally would have Serong here but I think more clubs would take Anderson before him because of the extra 10cm)
4. Serong (leader, AA, all round gun)

That top tier of 4 are slightly ahead of the next batch in my view.

5. Chad Warner (slight down year in 23 put him out of the top tier for now)
6. Will Day (proven quality mid puts him slightly ahead of young)
7. Young (if he becomes a gun mid he flies into the top bracket above)
8. Rowell (very good player, but is the more of a workhouse than a true match winner?)
9 - 13, pick your order any given day.
-Pickett (best small Forward in this draft with X factor to Match and still improving)
  • Flanders (rising rapidly, great finish to last season)
  • ash (underrated player nationally)
  • Sam de Koning (let’s not forget he was a gun in 2022).
  • Kiddie Coleman (possibly the most skilful player in the draft)

That’s 13 very high quality AFL players there any club would be thrilled to have and should all play 200 games plus.
Kemp, weightman, Bergman, Riccardi Rivers and Frederick are some other decent players for this draft in the next batch.

I think most would take Jackson at 1 because he’s not even close to his ceiling but I agree mostly with the way you’ve rated them.

Hard to make a case because of the quality in front of him but Rowell was dominant from game 1 until injury. He was almost single handedly dragging GC along with him. He’s similar to Serong in his desire to win & fearless attack. If he stays fit he belongs in the top group.

Controversial call but I think Anderson has got to the stage he’s overrated because he’s from GC. A lot of GC players get the “if he was VIC” thing but everyone is aware of it and wants them to do well. Flanders will be better than Anderson when careers are done IMO
agreed to an extent, do think he stepped up a bit last year though, no where near as consistent as serong has been

I think most would take Jackson at 1 because he’s not even close to his ceiling but I agree mostly with the way you’ve rated them.

Hard to make a case because of the quality in front of him but Rowell was dominant from game 1 until injury. He was almost single handedly dragging GC along with him. He’s similar to Serong in his desire to win & fearless attack. If he stays fit he belongs in the top group.
which was like 4 games though.

hes been good since hes managed to string a few games together but his game at this point seems to be a bit one dimensional for whatever reason, hopefully he can add a bit more to it as hes brilliant to watch really

Controversial call but I think Anderson has got to the stage he’s overrated because he’s from GC. A lot of GC players get the “if he was VIC” thing but everyone is aware of it and wants them to do well. Flanders will be better than Anderson when careers are done IMOe

He's at the low end production wise for one of the comps top mids who is not playing a hybrid role. E.G. Rozee's numbers don't look that different overall but he has much higher front half impact as presumably he is rotating HHF. Funnily enough the only top 15 or so mid with a similar low disposal average was Browlow medal winning Lachie Neale. Although his regular season average was 27.5. Only getting 60 odd touches across three finals dragged it down a bit.

He's at the low end production wise for one of the comps top mids who is not playing a hybrid role. E.G. Rozee's numbers don't look that different overall but he has much higher front half impact as presumably he is rotating HHF. Funnily enough the only top 15 or so mid with a similar low disposal average was Browlow medal winning Lachie Neale. Although his regular season average was 27.5. Only getting 60 odd touches across three finals dragged it down a bit.
Teams put a lot of effort into stopping Neale in the finals.
Was great seeing Coleman get his mojo in finals. He’s so similar to young Stephen Hill. I doubt he’ll get as much space this year. Guys that can slice you open & take 60-70 meters with a bounce & bullet into the 50 are so dangerous. Hated how teams locked down on Hill as he was so good to watch in full flight.

Regardless, it's a wicked draft to discuss and re-do. Incredible top group of players with a lot split by hairs / personal opinion. Will be really interesting to see where it's at after another 10 years.
I think it’s not until 10-12 years post draft that you start to see clear separation between players. Which is to be expected of course. Great draft overall though - do you think it’s better than the 2018 “superdraft”?

Mate, I’m absolutely devastated for Angus Brayshaw (and Dees supporters) personally couldn’t give a toss if that means we slip out of the top handful of articles on afl app.

(still sitting at 3 behind Thomas and Brayshaw btw)
I’m devo for Brayshaw as well. That Collywobbles bloke got away with it too; could’ve put hands out and instead put his shoulder through Brayshaw’a head. Disgusting. And I say this as someone who played and has similarly had attempted spoils go wrong… if I had time to put out my arms and cushion the impact, don’t tell me some elite peak athlete somehow doesn’t have the ability to do it. You don’t get to the top level if you’re that unco

I think it’s not until 10-12 years post draft that you start to see clear separation between players. Which is to be expected of course. Great draft overall though - do you think it’s better than the 2018 “superdraft”?
Superdraft resting on Kings coming through makes it harder to judge even though it's older. Either one could still be the best KPF of the next 6+ years which changes things. Walsh, Butters and Rozee can match with Green, Serong, Anderson as it stands though (possibly slightly ahead) but dont know if the next rung of mids can compete with Rowell, Day, Young and where Flanders is heading

Top group of 2019 is probably definitely deeper, 2018 MAY pip it for best player of the two drafts

Superdraft resting on Kings coming through makes it harder to judge even though it's older. Either one could still be the best KPF of the next 6+ years which changes things. Walsh, Butters and Rozee can match with Green, Serong, Anderson as it stands though (possibly slightly ahead) but dont know if the next rung of mids can compete with Rowell, Day, Young and where Flanders is heading

Top group of 2019 is probably definitely deeper, 2018 MAY pip it for best player of the two drafts
Max Kimg gets a lot of shots at goal. If he can kick straight (big if) he could be a 65 plus goal a year KPF. They are rare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back